AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G CL DIY & FAQ (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-diy-faq-74/)
-   -   changing headlight bulb!!!! (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-diy-faq-74/changing-headlight-bulb-698808/)

jbucko 11-29-2008 11:43 PM

changing headlight bulb!!!!

sorry cant figure it out anyone can help me please need a low beam headlight bulb change and they wont seem to come out.

YL Al 11-29-2008 11:46 PM

ok ,as i remember . take out the harness and twist THE BULB HARD.

then install the new bulb,twist back and connect harness

i remember having issues with the bulbs coming out but practice makes perfect.

and do remove the plastic cover(by spinning the clips) that goes across the front

jbucko 11-29-2008 11:47 PM

i had issues getting that off do i pull the wires from underneath out?

YL Al 11-29-2008 11:51 PM

You need to push a little tab that is on the bulb to seperate it from the wires. you may need flathead screwdriver for the job(as your hands may not reach accordingly). as you push the tab down,grab the screw driver and push out the wire bracket down ,so that it will slide out and seperate from the bulb.

EDIT: you had issues getting what out,the harness or the plastic cover that goes across the front? if the harness then read this post.

mitch14 11-30-2008 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by iraqiyl (Post 10236760)
You need to push a little tab that is on the bulb to seperate it from the wires. you may need flathead screwdriver for the job(as your hands may not reach accordingly). as you push the tab down,grab the screw driver and push out the wire bracket down ,so that it will slide out and seperate from the bulb.

EDIT: you had issues getting what out,the harness or the plastic cover that goes across the front? if the harness then read this post.

^:werd: i think he means he's having trouble disconnecting the connector from the bulb, i had the same issue. but just push the tab in and force the connector down, you could use a screwdriver like iraqiyl said, that would work....and btw how to remove the bulbs is in the owner's manual :n00b:, and obviously thigns don't come off easy on these cars, they're like 10 years old, you just gotta put some force into it:whyme:

97BlackAckCL 11-30-2008 09:57 AM

push the tab in, and then push down on the wiring harness with your thumbs, it should slide down with some work, then just turn the bulb 45 deg counterclockwise and it'll pop right out

swiftt5389 11-30-2008 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 10237239)
push the tab in, and then push down on the wiring harness with your thumbs, it should slide down with some work, then just turn the bulb 45 deg counterclockwise and it'll pop right out

:werd: i broke the tab off one of mine accidently. Made things a lot easier haha. And it never slipped off . but no im not suggesting you break it. :tomato:

Myxomatosis 11-30-2008 02:33 PM

remember DON'T TOUCH THE NEW BULBS, any oily residue such as a finger print on the bulb with blow really quick. Hold it by the connector when installing and try not to touch anything, kinda like that game "operation"

DoubleSh0t 11-30-2008 02:41 PM

If you're still having difficultly, it helps to warm up the plastic connector with a blow dryer if you're in a cold area.

GhettoNinja06 11-30-2008 04:05 PM

I had trouble removing both parts.. I stuck a skinny flat head screwdriver in the tab and used both hands to pull appart the connecter and used a vise grip to twist and pull the bulbs out of the headlight housing.

97BlackAckCL 11-30-2008 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06 (Post 10238038)
I had trouble removing both parts.. I stuck a skinny flat head screwdriver in the tab and used both hands to pull appart the connecter and used a vise grip to twist and pull the bulbs out of the headlight housing.

:nervous: Not the best advice to get a light bulb out, shouldn't need that much force

mitch14 11-30-2008 05:26 PM

i just swapped out my stock bulbs for some hid's, you should try them, i installed them myself with only little issues and i'm not that mechanically inclined, i did mount the ballast holders with double sided tape, incase i want to put them somewhere else, it sounds :ghetto: but after i ziptie the wires it will look pretty clean.
well atleast cleaner than my buddy's install which involved one ballast being ziptied and his other one screwed directly into the shock tower in his engine bay, really obviously too:ugh:
i'll see if i can make some comparison photo's soon of the light output of regular versus HID bulbs

a2ndragoon89 11-30-2008 05:29 PM

you can bolt the ballasts on. there's plenty of space to play with. go buy some screws and find those holes to play with

mitch14 11-30-2008 05:51 PM

^ i don't really see the point of bolting them down, cuz the only open space in the engine bay on both sides is to have them mounted flat, and i didnt really want to screw into there cuz i don't know what is underneath, plus with double sided tape it would cut down on the vibrations to the ballasts a little bit, i just don't want a bunch of screw holes in my engine bay.
and the ballast my buddy has screwed in in his engine bay looks way more ghetto than my mounted ballasts, plus mine look symetrical this way, which is the way i like it:thumbsup:

97BlackAckCL 11-30-2008 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by a2ndragoon89 (Post 10238251)
you can bolt the ballasts on. there's plenty of space to play with. go buy some screws and find those holes to play with

in a 2.x engine bay, not much room at all in the 3.0's, trust me

mitch14 11-30-2008 06:22 PM

i don't see any problem mounting them with double sided tape tho, it's not like anything is gonna happen to them if i don't screw them down. and this way if i ever go back to normal bulbs there won't be anything left in the engine bay from the hid's

97BlackAckCL 11-30-2008 06:25 PM

My driver's side ballast is mounted with 3m double s tape, been there for a while now

mitch14 11-30-2008 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 10238392)
My driver's side ballast is mounted with 3m double s tape, been there for a while now

^i got the exact same tape, good to know someone else has it done the same way. now i don't feel like my install is so ghetto:toocool:

mitch14 11-30-2008 07:54 PM

got a pic of what my hid's look like at night for you
http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/l...k/CIMG1035.jpg
couldn't really find any good comparison photos tho, stupid camera sucks at capturing the light output really well:whyme:

Lawlergaggzorz 12-02-2008 10:10 AM

I also used a flathead screwdriver to push down on the connector and worked like a charm. Mitch14, where did you buy your HIDs?

mitch14 12-02-2008 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lawlergaggzorz (Post 10243750)
I also used a flathead screwdriver to push down on the connector and worked like a charm. Mitch14, where did you buy your HIDs?

^ www.vvme.com hopefully they work fine, so far so good, but it's how long they're gonna last that i'm worried about, oh well, i think they do come with a warranty, and they have replacement bulbs for the HID kits available too

Myxomatosis 12-09-2008 02:27 PM

^^^^ you get many people flashing high beams at you? just wondering how glaring they are. I'd be tempted to do the swap, but I dont want to blind oncoming traffic.

1997 Acura CL 2.2 Premium 12-16-2008 12:48 PM

Those lights are great, I have the same ones. There is a problem with people coming at you, they always think my high beams are on when they are not. The lifetime on theses light suck, I am averaging new low beam bulbs every 6 months and the high beams I have not had to replace yet. I have had them for about a year now, they make a huge difference and I praise them.

mitch14 12-16-2008 03:28 PM

nobody has flashed me yet, but don't use that to judge either, even with my last car with projos some dumb ppl still flashed me, and the cutoff line would be below their windows.

Diesirae 01-04-2009 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by iraqiyl (Post 10236751)
ok ,as i remember . take out the harness and twist THE BULB HARD.

then install the new bulb,twist back and connect harness

i remember having issues with the bulbs coming out but practice makes perfect.

and do remove the plastic cover(by spinning the clips) that goes across the front

OMG! The driver's side is such a pain in the dick! I must have tried 1/2 a dozen times already and still can't get the wires off..

I'm not entirely sure what plastic cover you're talking about either .. Do both bulbs go out when one goes bad?

mitch14 01-04-2009 04:28 PM

if you mean you can't get the connector off of the bulb then that would be the same issue that most ppl are having on here, just read all the posts and use that info, push the tab in and you can use a flathead screwdriver to push down on the connector. i don't know what plastic cover he is reffering to. also if you have more than one bulb go out check the fuses first.

97BlackAckCL 01-04-2009 04:40 PM

:werd: if both are out check the fuse first, the tabs on the wires are a pain but you just have to push down with your thumb and try to wiggle it free, it'll go

ZeroCL 01-05-2009 01:43 AM

I remember when I sucked at removing those. :rofl:

Jay Daley 01-05-2009 02:37 PM

What a bunch of whiners! JUST DO IT.

ZeroCL 01-05-2009 04:34 PM

first post of the career...nice.

Diesirae 01-16-2009 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 10351086)
:werd: if both are out check the fuse first, the tabs on the wires are a pain but you just have to push down with your thumb and try to wiggle it free, it'll go

I got one side off with a problem... as it turns out the other side had a piece of plastic wedged in such a way that prevented it from turning....:ugh:
Anyway, brand new JDM Black headlamps installed yesterday

97BlackAckCL 01-16-2009 06:34 PM

Hope you like them, but they're not jdm ;)

TopEyes 01-21-2009 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by mitch14 (Post 10245110)
^ www.vvme.com hopefully they work fine, so far so good, but it's how long they're gonna last that i'm worried about, oh well, i think they do come with a warranty, and they have replacement bulbs for the HID kits available too

oh boy i cant wait to get mine
thanks mitch cheap investment

incredulous1 01-21-2009 09:23 PM

i hope you got jdm lightbulbs to go with those jdm headlamps... =)

mitch14 01-21-2009 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by TopEyes (Post 10423084)
oh boy i cant wait to get mine
thanks mitch cheap investment

^no problem man, hope they work out for you, mine and my buddy's HID's both purchased from vvme are still going strong, and for that price it's a lot better than buying some other halogen bulbs that are gonna burn out pretty soon anyways:thumbsup:

sholmz 02-02-2009 02:47 PM

I removed my headlight bulbs and was to replace them with the HID I purchased. When removing the bulb, I broke all the Ivory looking things the bulbs locks under. I can't fine the replacement online so I'm thinking of holding the bulb in place and putting silicone around it.
As you see, I am needing help here. Thanks.

TopEyes 02-02-2009 09:03 PM

^sorry to hear that do ur best to fix it
i had something similar to what happen 2 u
i just use electrical tape.

first two mods complete
-aem sri
-4300k hid/klight

Myxomatosis 02-03-2009 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by sholmz (Post 10469992)
I removed my headlight bulbs and was to replace them with the HID I purchased. When removing the bulb, I broke all the Ivory looking things the bulbs locks under. I can't fine the replacement online so I'm thinking of holding the bulb in place and putting silicone around it.
As you see, I am needing help here. Thanks.

whatever you do, heed my advice and make sure you dont touch the bulb, since it wont be easy to replace. Black silicone would work, but duct tape it in while it's drying....like 24hrs. I was going to suggest epoxy or something like that, but with silicone, at least you can remove it relatively easier.

btw.....how many AZ members does it take to change a light bulb?:pofl: