You see, what had happened was...(from YA3 to BA4)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:27 PM
hmm...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You see, what had happened was...(from YA3 to BA4)

Not like I'm some sort of legend on this site, but I really enjoy everyone here and I really miss it, havn't posted in a while. Now when I said my official goodbye, I said I was going for a WRX wagon. Well since I'm starting college this year and would rather have a big bank account than the car I absolutely wanted, I decided to "settle", which is actually one of my all-time favorite cars. I pulled the trigger on a 1991 4-wheel steering BA4 Prelude, I just couldn't say no after I drove it. It needs a good amount of body work, but everything else is incredibly solid. Sooo let's put some pictures in instead of just my life story...

Before:

Currently, riding almost completely stock, except there's a 2.25" piping from the cat to the axle, Accord axle-back that i sanded to 1500 grit to make it look clean, and no intake resonator. I didn't feel like sourcing/putting them back on =)

So that's that. It's up for sale right now, I'm basically dealing with the typical "Oh that car looks amazing, when can I come see it?!" then the person doesn't show up type thing, but oh well, I'm sure it'll sell before too long.

While that's going on, I went ahead and ordered KSport Kontrol Pro's for the Prelude. They're the top of the line for that car, as only 3 different coilovers are made for it, and I had to buy new...you think it's hard to find parts for CL's, pshhh wait till you try something semi-old haha. Also found a set of 16x7.5 Kosei K1's with brand new Goodyear Eagle F1's dirt cheap, so I went ahead and got them, probably going to end up using them as track wheels. Here's some pictures to again shut up my stories:

Came with 99-00 Civic Si's:

The "Ouch"

Right now:

And the growing wheels collection, I promised my parents I'd sell some (Keep in mind I'm 18 and still live at home for a year while I start college, my 2 best friends and I are getting an apartment next year so I thought I'd save up a little more)...the 4x114.3's are gonna be useless once the CL is sold, so I guess they'll be sold =P The main wheels I'm trying to get for the Prelude are Volk GT-P's, first generation. We'll see

So anyway. I guess I made this gigantic post because I missed this forum, wanted to update a little. I'm not a fan of Prelude forums, hell I can't even figure out how to post because you need 100 posts to do everything, and it's hard to get 100 when you can't start...just wanted to check in, I love it here! Sorry mods if this isn't CL related enough, I know that kinda angers you but I just wanted to check in. Oops!

Last edited by aqua1stgen; 08-08-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:33 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcom back man
WTF You could probably buy another lude with all those tires and wheels! That's at least 4 sets right there!
And please explain this 4 wheel steering... Do all 4 wheels seriously turn? Thats freaking nuts.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:43 PM
hmm...

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
Welcom back man
WTF You could probably buy another lude with all those tires and wheels! That's at least 4 sets right there!
And please explain this 4 wheel steering... Do all 4 wheels seriously turn? Thats freaking nuts.
Hahaha in all honesty I'd be close. The Veilsides and 5zigens should end up paying for my suspension while having around $350 to put in the bank, hopefully haha =)

The 4ws is really pretty cool haha, the difference in turning radius between the CL and this is insane, at least the feel is, I know that haha. Here's some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0sVD17WSdQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmYUy...rom=PL&index=3

They don't move a ton, but get a little to help turning. There's another video out there that shows the actual performance, which looks killer, have to search for it though.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Wow, nice! Why didn't they put this in more cars? Looks like it works pretty well!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:51 PM
hmm...

Haha my thought's exactly, my guess is that it isn't as usefull as it is pretty, or the cost, or some other factor. I definately enjoy it though =)
Old 08-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
can u PM me the pics/specs/ price of the veilsides? I'm still looking for a nice set of rims for my CL. Nice prelude btw! I always wondered if the 4 wheel steering could help w/performance.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda and MAzda used it. it came standard on the MX-6, except mazdas version had a speed sensor that at speeds below 35 mph, the rear wheels turned opposite of the front for tighter turning and above 35 they moved in the same direction for smoother lane changes at highway speeds. its a cool system, but its also heavy and mechanically a bitch to fix or repair. in the end it just wasnt practical.. Much like Saab's Senstronic, another really cool idea that went nowhere. Basically, Saab designed a manual transmission that was computer actuated and could shift faster then humanly possible, they retained the standard H pattern shifter, except you only had two pedals, when you moved the shifter from one gear selection to another, the car automatically clutched for you.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Anhedonia
Honda and MAzda used it. it came standard on the MX-6, except mazdas version had a speed sensor that at speeds below 35 mph, the rear wheels turned opposite of the front for tighter turning and above 35 they moved in the same direction for smoother lane changes at highway speeds. its a cool system, but its also heavy and mechanically a bitch to fix or repair. in the end it just wasnt practical.. Much like Saab's Senstronic, another really cool idea that went nowhere. Basically, Saab designed a manual transmission that was computer actuated and could shift faster then humanly possible, they retained the standard H pattern shifter, except you only had two pedals, when you moved the shifter from one gear selection to another, the car automatically clutched for you.
wow that saab idea never caught on? i'd have thought it would be a big hit for those who wanted to try to drive stick but couldn't learn.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Drifting

They only used it for a year (1997) it was an awesome idea, even for the lazy sports car owners.. but it never caught on cause it had serious electrical issues and Americans werent as lazy 12 years ago as they were today. it was also limited in production and saab didnt push advertising as well as they should have. I think that if they spent the extra money to work out the kinks, and advertised it better, it would be in place of all this Triptronic/senstronic/geartronic bullshit that people refer to as automanual

Another classic example is the Tucker. (not me, the car) revolutionized the auto with Seatbelts and headlights that turned as the wheels did (ahem... lexus) lol so much cool shit that never made it anywhere.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Pretty sure our car is a ya1

Congrats on the quelude
Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 AM
hmm...

Each engine carries a different chassis code, YA1=2.2 (f22b1 engine), YA2=3.0 (j30a engine), YA3=2.3 (f23a1 engine).

Great explanations Anhedonia =)

I'll be sure to PM you Imfamous =)
Old 08-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Drifting

get that body fixed up. and h22 swap that sucker.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
Wow, nice! Why didn't they put this in more cars? Looks like it works pretty well!
monster truck technology.. lol its prob just too expensive for minimal gains..
Old 08-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Palayah8ta
monster truck technology.. lol its prob just too expensive for minimal gains..

dont even bother reading...
Old 08-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by Anhedonia

dont even bother reading...
he bought a car and is fixing it up the right way from the beginning.. u should read it!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
hmm...

Originally Posted by Palayah8ta
he bought a car and is fixing it up the right way from the beginning.. u should read it!!!!!!!!!!!11
I believe he was talking about his explanation on why 4ws was discontinued, not my work on the car. Thanks though =)

Originally Posted by Dicorp
get that body fixed up. and h22 swap that sucker.
That's the exact plans haha. I was going to turbo it but if you've ever seen the engine bays on these...sweet christ. So an h22 is probably the option, but I'm also thinking about a b20a, little more time correct, I guess we'll see haha.

Last edited by aqua1stgen; 08-09-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by aqua1stgen

That's the exact plans haha. I was going to turbo it but if you've ever seen the engine bays on these...sweet christ. So an h22 is probably the option, but I'm also thinking about a b20a, little more time correct, I guess we'll see haha.
there are plenty of turboed 3rd gens.
h22 is a little more complicated IIRC, it's a big motor, dimension wise. plus new axles, linkages mounts etc. but that's expected.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM
hmm...

Originally Posted by Dicorp
there are plenty of turboed 3rd gens.
h22 is a little more complicated IIRC, it's a big motor, dimension wise. plus new axles, linkages mounts etc. but that's expected.
Oh absolutely, I'm just not all that sure if the gains are worth all the annoying work. I'll figure something out, I got time.