WW-style Fiberglass lips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 AM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silentalero
Ok here I'll ask the questions everybody wants answered to make his life simple since i kow making fiberglass body panels is a pain in the balls.

#1 - fitment issue is everybodies biggest fear, YES fiberglas doesnt fit right unless you make a mold off your car have it fitted, remove it and then have a real fiberglass company make a reverse fiberglass mold to duplicate it and be a 2nd hand shipper on it. If this isnt your process what is yours? This is what im doing for my full bumper bodykit im making so if you need a fiberglass company let me know.

#2 What is your exact process of molding this and what type of gel coating or top layer are you putting on it to protect it from cracking? What type of back coating? How many layers of fiberglass and what type of bondo are you using? Also are you suing tiger hair or kitty hair?

#3 What other fiberglass projects have you done and do you have picture examples? Do you plan on using a ww kit to mold from or are you making this fresh? Also whats to guarantee that your not gonna run with the cash? Alot of people have been burned online with group buys and especially if you get 2-3k in cash from these this will be a decent payday for you.
I thought you were selling the CL g'
Old 12-05-2005, 11:03 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL
errr...Fiberglass in the front?? IMO....your just settin yourself up for the day that you'll hit a animal, road kill, curb...etc...and that fiberglass lip is gonna snap! Now, i'd say fiberglass for the rear lip might be ok...but I woudnt use fiberglass on the front. But again...thats just me.

my thoughts exactly!

Why don't you guys talk to the guy doing the group buy on the VIS CF hoods, because VIS now owns WW
Old 12-05-2005, 11:05 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Originally Posted by wakeboardfusion
ide pay like 200 for urathane

I can't believe they are so expensive, I finally bought mine in 2004 for $140
Old 12-05-2005, 11:17 AM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CLpower
my thoughts exactly!
Are you serious?!?! OMG...we finally agreed on something! No more fighting?!?! We AGREED?!?!? Somebody pinch me....lol

Yea, fiberglass for the front is pushin it. Especially if your plannin on doing like a sportline drop height. I've thought about the ABS plactic replica of the WW rear lip...(i woudnt be too afarid using ABS plastic in the rear) but...the only thing holding me back is im afarid of fitment issues.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,425 Likes on 3,031 Posts
I can't believe they are so expensive, I finally bought mine in 2004 for $140
Tell us about it, we're all feelin that pain right now. I remember in 2003 when I thought 200somethin was expensive. Now it's like $380 gtfo.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL
Are you serious?!?! OMG...we finally agreed on something! No more fighting?!?! We AGREED?!?!? Somebody pinch me....lol

Yea, fiberglass for the front is pushin it. Especially if your plannin on doing like a sportline drop height. I've thought about the ABS plactic replica of the WW rear lip...(i woudnt be too afarid using ABS plastic in the rear) but...the only thing holding me back is im afarid of fitment issues.

its wont be so bad, klepto and i concluded that he has about a 5-6 inch ground clearance in the front.

my brother has a GSR with a full body FB kit and has olny 4 inches of Ground clearance in the front (can barely fit a standard measuring tape on end under the bumper). and hes been driving around town for 4+ years with no major problems, just minor scrapes. Just have to take speedbumps and driveways at acute angels and slow
Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by wontonjohnny
its wont be so bad, klepto and i concluded that he has about a 5-6 inch ground clearance in the front.

my brother has a GSR with a full body FB kit and has olny 4 inches of Ground clearance in the front (can barely fit a standard measuring tape on end under the bumper). and hes been driving around town for 4+ years with no major problems, just minor scrapes. Just have to take speedbumps and driveways at acute angels and slow

I've been driving extremely low cars for 7+ years now. I will tell you, a Fiberglass wings west lip WILL crack no matter how carefull you are on anything w/ more then a 2" drop on a CL. The front end is very long.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:25 PM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been driving extremely low cars for 7+ years now. I will tell you, a Fiberglass wings west lip WILL crack no matter how carefull you are on anything w/ more then a 2" drop on a CL. The front end is very long.
can you set up a gb with that guy you was telling us while back?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:35 PM
fear and Loathing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If You Make It They Will Buy
Old 12-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

It will crack, I too have driven low ass cars (with lip kits) for years.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Banned

i can also make the things in CF for like... $350-360. i can make it longer than a WW lip for all those who want.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:58 PM
teh Senior Instigator

again, why don't you guys contact the guy that is running your CF hood group buy from VIS, because VIS now owns Wings West

A CF front lip would shatter just as quick
Old 12-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Teh HORN!@!!!

Originally Posted by agranado
I thought you were selling the CL g'
i was but the guy backed out so whatever. I wasnt looking to sell it anyways but when somebody offers me 15k for it im not gonna say no. He works with me so maybe in the future but as for now i love the car and dont plan on getting rid of it unless another offer like that comes around.

Now back to the kit. You guys who are complaining about fiberglass cracking in the front, what do you think is gonna happen to urithane, it wont crack but it will bend and flex in if you hit anything. if your that worried about scraping with low ground clearance get a splitter underneath to protect it. IT doesnt matter what material the bumper is made from if its CF, or fiberglass or urithane its gonna be acceptable to road damage and hits. Fiberglass is obviously your weakest but also your cheapest to produce and fix. Go ahead and scrape a cf lip or urithan lip and see how much itll cost to replace .....guarantee ya its ALOT more than fiberglass. Plus with some know how and a lil bit of time you can fix it yourself.

Fiberglass isn't as hard as everything thinks, its just time consuming. So if you guys want cheap ww kit then stop demanding better material. Its production cost, if you do a fiberglass lip i will buy one. but make sure your fitment is flawless because if its not and i paid money for this kit i will tear you a new one on here.

I've done alot for the alero world with products and companies and i never like to see anybody get screwed. I plan on doing the same for the CL community since now my life has taken some good direction and i can get back into the car world this year.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:37 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
nice speech
Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by SilverCL97
nice speech
That is true, a fiberglass one could be repaired pretty easily.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Advanced

I'm interested in a front and rear lip. If you make it and it looks good, I'll buy.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Instructor

i was but the guy backed out so whatever. I wasnt looking to sell it anyways but when somebody offers me 15k for it im not gonna say no. He works with me so maybe in the future but as for now i love the car and dont plan on getting rid of it unless another offer like that comes around.

Now back to the kit. You guys who are complaining about fiberglass cracking in the front, what do you think is gonna happen to urithane, it wont crack but it will bend and flex in if you hit anything. if your that worried about scraping with low ground clearance get a splitter underneath to protect it. IT doesnt matter what material the bumper is made from if its CF, or fiberglass or urithane its gonna be acceptable to road damage and hits. Fiberglass is obviously your weakest but also your cheapest to produce and fix. Go ahead and scrape a cf lip or urithan lip and see how much itll cost to replace .....guarantee ya its ALOT more than fiberglass. Plus with some know how and a lil bit of time you can fix it yourself.

Fiberglass isn't as hard as everything thinks, its just time consuming. So if you guys want cheap ww kit then stop demanding better material. Its production cost, if you do a fiberglass lip i will buy one. but make sure your fitment is flawless because if its not and i paid money for this kit i will tear you a new one on here.

I've done alot for the alero world with products and companies and i never like to see anybody get screwed. I plan on doing the same for the CL community since now my life has taken some good direction and i can get back into the car world this year.
Count me the Hell IN!!!! Man, I've been lookin' for a decent front and rear lip spoilers. Are you going to make a whole body kit? As long as it looks elegant and not Ricey, I'll Buy a kit form you!!! Please post the pics once you have the protypes in place.. Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by dangeris
Count me the Hell IN!!!! Man, I've been lookin' for a decent front and rear lip spoilers. Are you going to make a whole body kit? As long as it looks elegant and not Ricey, I'll Buy a kit form you!!! Please post the pics once you have the protypes in place.. Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 10:06 AM
fear and Loathing

If its cheap enough ill buy 2 fdont lips just incase i break one, and 2 rears also after the ww original lip got ripped off and run over by everyone on 95 im not takin chances.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:52 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Now back to the kit. You guys who are complaining about fiberglass cracking in the front, what do you think is gonna happen to urithane, it wont crack but it will bend and flex in if you hit anything. .

And why do you think most people would want it over fiberglass, because yes, it bends and flexes and doesn't crack
Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Teh HORN!@!!!

umm im not making it for the CL. The bodykit im putting in production is a full kit by GM that they made for the alero. They had 3, crushed 2 and the last one is in GM's museam never to be productivly released. Im duplicating that for the mostpart.

If I did a lip kit for the CL or even made my own bodykit id better get some prebuys before i even lay a finger on the actual work involved in making the kit. That wont be till spring/summer if i do anyways, Ive got alot more fiberglass to put into my show car, considering the CL is suppose to me my daily driver.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Teh HORN!@!!!

And why do you think most people would want it over fiberglass, because yes, it bends and flexes and doesn't crack

Well urithane is the obvious best choice, but this is also coming from people who want a urithane kit for $200 ....just dont add up. Why else do you think veilside charges 2k for their urithane kits.

Heres the best statement for this kit...You get what you pay for!!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:56 AM
teh Senior Instigator

<--- paid 140 for urethane

And as mentioned before, still curious why no one has tried to contact the guy doing the CF hood group buy on maybe doing lips. SInce VIS now owns WW

But correct, you get what you pay for, by the time you fix your fiberglass lip that cost you 200 the first time it cracked you'd have the price of the urethane one
Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 AM
B A N N E D

I hate these interest threads because, rarely, does anything happen at all.

To the creater/distributor/vendor of these lips: I would take the risk, and build 10 ww lips first. Post the results and a price second. And, like any buisness risk ( always risk involved ) see if they sell, ( which they Defenently will ) Theres too much Bullshit on this thread already. Just get them built, and you will see them sell. Its all about taking risks my friend. Nobody wants to buy a product they havent seen built yet. ( on here at least )

To all those who say a fiverglass lip will suck and crack.... YOUR ALL FULL OF SHIT !!! Its a DAM lip !! not a fucking bumper thats made 1/6 inch thick. Ive delt with fiberglass fx kits for several years, and.. although they will crack under extreme stress, if there made properly, at the right thickness, given the aplication, and fit correctly, ...they wont crack on there own. TO all those who say there going to crack if you hit a animal... DONT HIT FUCKING ANIMALS.... Shit,, if i hit an animal in my car i would be more conserned about major damage than a fucking 150 dollar lip ( lips are stronger for the most part than a whole bumper anyways so STFU )

Old 12-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by ayougo

To the creater/distributor/vendor of these lips: I would take the risk, and build 10 ww lips first. Post the results and a price second. And, like any buisness risk ( always risk involved ) see if they sell, ( which they Defenently will ) Theres too much Bullshit on this thread already. Just get them built, and you will see them sell. Its all about taking risks my friend. Nobody wants to buy a product they havent seen built yet. ( on here at least )

To all those who say a fiverglass lip will suck and crack.... YOUR ALL FULL OF SHIT !!! Its a DAM lip !! not a fucking bumper thats made 1/6 inch thick. Ive delt with fiberglass fx kits for several years, and.. although they will crack under extreme stress, if there made properly, at the right thickness, given the aplication, and fit correctly, ...they wont crack on there own. TO all those who say there going to crack if you hit a animal... DONT HIT FUCKING ANIMALS.... Shit,, if i hit an animal in my car i would be more conserned about major damage than a fucking 150 dollar lip ( lips are stronger for the most part than a whole bumper anyways so STFU )

I hate interest threads

and Don't fucking hit things
Old 12-07-2005, 11:39 AM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Lol
Old 12-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Teh HORN!@!!!

lol yea no shit, unless you got a steel bar in the front of your car dont aim for animals.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:33 PM
teh Senior Instigator

YOu've had your experiences w/ FG, i've had mine. No way in hell would I ever put a FG lip on a car unless I planned on getting it fixed often

Now, if your car isn't that low, you can get away w/ it IMO, but as mentioned before, if you are 2"+ on the CL and want to have it copy the WW lip, best of luck is all I can say. Hope you have very nice roads.

And get use to the all talk, nothing getting done threads, it's a part of life w/ this crowd.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

And get use to the all talk, nothing getting done threads, it's a part of life w/ this crowd.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:54 PM
fear and Loathing

God what the big deal are u makin the lip or not that the bottom line if you want one say fuckin yes of u dont say no its that fuckin simple everything is fuckin drama and bullshit just fuckin say yes or no who give a fuck if u ahve been dealing with fiber glass or not or if they want c/f lips and who will brake them and who wont. just make them if people want them and dont of no one does. i say yes and give me a price ill tell you how many i want thats my simple ass answer anyone ewlse have a simple fuckin answer. sorry i flipped but come on were all grown we can make up our own minds
Old 12-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by ShavedH22CL
God what the big deal are u makin the lip or not that the bottom line if you want one say fuckin yes of u dont say no its that fuckin simple everything is fuckin drama and bullshit just fuckin say yes or no who give a fuck if u ahve been dealing with fiber glass or not or if they want c/f lips and who will brake them and who wont. just make them if people want them and dont of no one does. i say yes and give me a price ill tell you how many i want thats my simple ass answer anyone ewlse have a simple fuckin answer. sorry i flipped but come on were all grown we can make up our own minds

Old 12-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Teh HORN!@!!!

best image of teh day
Old 12-07-2005, 01:57 PM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

just make the damn lips...
Old 12-07-2005, 02:20 PM
fear and Loathing

Originally Posted by starboy2nv
just make the damn lips...
Old 12-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Racer

totally agree and for ppl with 2+" drop , ie sportlines, i think a 5 to 6 inch ground clearance would be plenty. ask klepto.

and to Clpower, i think you are a jerk and bully, i know you are a mod or admin so kick me if you want, this is by far the worst forum ive been in. some of you guys have a stick up your ass or something.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

So much love in this forum :gheyhug:
Old 12-07-2005, 02:58 PM
fear and Loathing

wow i thought after my nice speach we could all get along and get some f/g lips front and rear made but i guess people are still flipping out. guys come on now just stop the back and forth crazyness if you dont want a f/g lip then get the fuck out of the topic and dont buy one then when we brake them you can point and laugh and say "i told you sio" like a little kid that you are. thank you very much.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

hey guys,

well it seems there is a lot of arguments going on in here. what i'm going to do is have the fiberglass lips made anyway.. maybe have 10 in FB and another 5-10 in CF. the pricing will come afterwards and they won't be more $$$ than WW so don't worry.

to those who want a set, you can order when i become a formal sponsor. as for now, if you have any questions, let me know via PM. i am still waiting on a more specific description of the molding process for the FB and CF from the factory so please bear with me. thanks guys.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Miss th 3.0

so your doing front and back lips?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:33 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by wontonjohnny
and to Clpower, i think you are a jerk and bully, i know you are a mod or admin so kick me if you want, this is by far the worst forum ive been in. some of you guys have a stick up your ass or something.

How the hell was I a jerk or bully in this thread? I gave my Can't handle it, don't worry about it. I've had fiberglass lips on cars, I know what to expect from them, just giving fair warning That is why we are all here. If you don't want to take my advice or hear my opinion, I don't give a fuck, expect having a hard time in life with not allowing people to have different views and opinions.

Ask klepto how he thinks a FG lip will hold up dropped on sportlines, i'm on the same setup as he is and have been very thankfull my lip is urethane more then a few times

Worst forum ever? Why are you here then? Interesting to see it gets more traffic then any others and has been around for going on 6 years. Glad you have your opinion.

Quick Reply: WW-style Fiberglass lips?