vtec woes on 99 2.3cl

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 06:02 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vtec woes on 99 2.3cl

question about your vtec problem you had with your car. I am getting the same code and am wondering what the car was acting like. Mine has a hesitation to it once in awhile.

Here is my story.

Last oil change I decided to try synthetic for the 1st time car had 70k on it at the time. Sometime after that I noticed the hestitation but really didn't think much of it as the car is my wifes and I don't drive it that much. Well as time went by the problem has gotten worse and finally last week the engine light came on. Did the code thing and it was 22 or 1259 acura code, which = vtec. Took it to my friends garage and he too got the same code, the meter said fuel/air metering. He can't come up with how the vtec (valving) would cause a hesitation problem. He said I should do the easy maint and then see if I still have a problem. Well I changed the cap and rotar and it made no improvement. Started to change fule filter but I couldn't get it off. Then this morning started the oil change and the current mileage is 77k. I know it is a little long but I thought the synthetic would be ok. Come to find out there is no oil in the filter and I drained probably 1 quart out of the engine. So now I think I know what the problem is.

The vtec is not working correctly causing the oil to blow back through the exhaust

my questions are:

1) Does this sound right?
2) Will I need to replace the cat?
3) Would the synthetic oil cause this problem
Old 09-06-2003, 07:10 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Re: vtec woes on 99 2.3cl

Originally posted by whittles
question about your vtec problem you had with your car. I am getting the same code and am wondering what the car was acting like. Mine has a hesitation to it once in awhile.

Here is my story.

Last oil change I decided to try synthetic for the 1st time car had 70k on it at the time. Sometime after that I noticed the hestitation but really didn't think much of it as the car is my wifes and I don't drive it that much. Well as time went by the problem has gotten worse and finally last week the engine light came on. Did the code thing and it was 22 or 1259 acura code, which = vtec. Took it to my friends garage and he too got the same code, the meter said fuel/air metering. He can't come up with how the vtec (valving) would cause a hesitation problem. He said I should do the easy maint and then see if I still have a problem. Well I changed the cap and rotar and it made no improvement. Started to change fule filter but I couldn't get it off. Then this morning started the oil change and the current mileage is 77k. I know it is a little long but I thought the synthetic would be ok. Come to find out there is no oil in the filter and I drained probably 1 quart out of the engine. So now I think I know what the problem is.

The vtec is not working correctly causing the oil to blow back through the exhaust

my questions are:

1) Does this sound right?
2) Will I need to replace the cat?
3) Would the synthetic oil cause this problem
Normally the problem with synthetic oil is that it will knock loose dirt and crusted oil on the engine. Some people have leaks in the engine area. It was probably was already there for leaks but it just doesn't show up because there was gunk etc blocking it.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 134 Posts
I have to admit i dont know much about vtech, but when I start to hear about hesitation and fuel/metering being off or somthing. I think of the o2 sensor.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:52 AM
Comrade Stalin

You wern't blowing oil through your exhaust. If you had oil going through your exhaust you would be smoking. Valve timing most certainly can make your engine do all sorts of funny stuff. Like Stapler said about the O2 sensor, if your valves were miss-timed you exhaust would not be flowing properly, nor would the intake be properly mixing. Could cause lots and lots of problems.