torque converter Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 09:24 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque converter Finally!!

This is the info i got, asked for the 2.3 and 3.0 application:

Thank you for inquiring into our company. Yes, we do torque converters for many import applications. We just finished building a torque converter for a twin turbo 300ZX that is running in the 10's. This car has been featured in TURBO Magazine. As well as many turbo Supra's that are also in the 10's. As well as a few well known Hondas from tuners like Performance Auto Factory and The Race Shop.

The torque converter that I recommend for this application is our PTC - HO15SS. This torque converter is the perfect mix of performance and streetability and is recommended for a street/strip application. The stall speed on this torque converter is approx. 300-800 above stock. Our price on this torque converter is $425.00 +shipping. The reason we recommend this piece is because of it's good drivability, and durability.

Unfortunately, we do these on an exchange basis. The turnaround time for this torque converter is usually 1-2 days.

In performance applications we also recommend a cooler due to the fact that performance torque converters tend to create more heat. We carry a full line of coolers. Please feel free to call or e-mail me if you have any further questions. We have these things in stock and are prepared to ship on your advise. Once again thanks

Joe@ProTorque.com
Joe Rivera
PROTORQUE
1440 Church St.
Bohemia, NY
Old 10-16-2003, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Could you perhaps give some info on this...I'm not sure what it is/does. Thanx!
Old 10-16-2003, 09:32 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
this is nothing new, we've always had the ability to get a new TC. It's just that it would probably cause more stress on the already fragile trans
Old 10-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Comrade Stalin

It wouldn't cause a great deal more stress. You right just the fact that it would transfer more power would add stress, but not a large amount.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:04 AM
-S namyaC-

They don't transfer any more power. They just have a higher stall that allows you to launch the car better by letting the car rev up higher before it wants to grab, then it locks up faster. Same lame ass auto trans loss.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally posted by McfallDan
Could you perhaps give some info on this...I'm not sure what it is/does. Thanx!
Ok, a torque convertor is a round looking dish thing inside the auto tranny. I guess the best way to describe the look of it is a large doughnut.

The reason Y u might want to change the torque convertor is that you would want to change the stall speed. Stall speed is rate that the power is transfer from the engine to the tranny. With this you can make the car accelerate faster than stock. Like if u put in turbo, supercharger, NOS, the engine has more HP, but the tranny is designed to run at stock hp. The trade off to this is that the more stall the faster u accelerate, but it shaves off fuel efficency or adds heat in the tranny. The guy recommends a tranny cooler and a street/ sometimes track one torque convertor.

You probably thinking Y i just don't get a manual. Well some cars don't have that option, too expensive, just run straight track. One plus that I can see is that you won't mess up in changing gears during a race. One less thing to worry about. But if this is for u or not depends on how much mods you have and trying to do.

One of my friends actually did it to his race car. He got a track one though because it a full blown race car. He said it does work in shaving time and can get very consistant track times.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:12 AM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so how much for one for the 3.0 and can you do the install yourself if you know what your doing? can it be a DIY project? or do we need a mechanic to do it?

whats the application for eh 3.0 and do you have pics of a touque converter for our cars, and do you make a new one or do you redo the stock one?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Comrade Stalin

Originally posted by fusionnv
Ok, a torque convertor is a round looking dish thing inside the auto tranny. I guess the best way to describe the look of it is a large doughnut.

The reason Y u might want to change the torque convertor is that you would want to change the stall speed. Stall speed is rate that the power is transfer from the engine to the tranny. With this you can make the car accelerate faster than stock. Like if u put in turbo, supercharger, NOS, the engine has more HP, but the tranny is designed to run at stock hp. The trade off to this is that the more stall the faster u accelerate, but it shaves off fuel efficency or adds heat in the tranny. The guy recommends a tranny cooler and a street/ sometimes track one torque convertor.

You probably thinking Y i just don't get a manual. Well some cars don't have that option, too expensive, just run straight track. One plus that I can see is that you won't mess up in changing gears during a race. One less thing to worry about. But if this is for u or not depends on how much mods you have and trying to do.

One of my friends actually did it to his race car. He got a track one though because it a full blown race car. He said it does work in shaving time and can get very consistant track times.
Almost right. First off a torque converter isn't INSIDE the tranny, its attached to it and the crank on the other side. Second, yes it does increase your stall speed, but it also allows you to lose less hp into the tranny. Stock TCs are pretty shitty in the flow they have. They lose a lot of hp in the process. Aftermarket ones not only increase stall spped, but recover hp lost in the gap between the crank and the hubs.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Advanced

so the over-all consensis is get one for more hp...does it matter if you are all stock or what?
Old 10-16-2003, 11:25 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
honestly, I wouldn't bother w/ this.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:26 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally posted by 97Cl22
Almost right. First off a torque converter isn't INSIDE the tranny, its attached to it and the crank on the other side. Second, yes it does increase your stall speed, but it also allows you to lose less hp into the tranny. Stock TCs are pretty shitty in the flow they have. They lose a lot of hp in the process. Aftermarket ones not only increase stall spped, but recover hp lost in the gap between the crank and the hubs.
Opps my misake, in directions to install it, the picture angle looks like it is in it. On a top angle pic i figured out that it is between engine and tranny.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Racer

Originally posted by CLpower
honestly, I wouldn't bother w/ this.
CLPower,

Might have to disagree with you on this one. When I had my tranny rebuilt, the torque converter was the first to go. This is what caused the slipping (I'm sure you knew that). This slipping basically messed up the timing of the shifting of the gears and therefore caused the bearings on my first gear to bust and the bearings basically fucked up the whole tranny. And now my tranny is showing signs of slipping again and it's 100% sure that it's the torque converter. Well, that's what I've been told. After getting the car rebuilt, with a 1 year warranty on the rebuilt tranny, I can take it in to get replaced before it gets worse.

So, with a stronger torque converter, it will prevent any damage that will result from the its failure.

Just my thought derived from experience. Anyhow, fusionv get more info on this and I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig and having this done. And when I turbo it, they will follow!!

-James
Old 10-16-2003, 08:10 PM
teh Senior Instigator

from the problems I hear it's not just the torque converter that is the problem. The clutches are what fry.

Btw, tc's have been available for our car for some time, w/ all the tranny problems you'd think more would be swapping it out, it'd be a common thing, but no many people do it because our tranny is crap period. An upgraded TC may help some but a lot will still be failing. The most important part is cooling, get a tranny cooler and you'll be fine if you aren't stupid w/ the tranny.

I'm not saying a TC is a bad thing, i've put upgraded TC's in a few of my cars, just put one in my dads vette. But, I don't think our tranny needs one, I don't think we would benefit much from one. Just my opinion though.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:55 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally posted by athlonxp
CLPower,

Might have to disagree with you on this one. When I had my tranny rebuilt, the torque converter was the first to go. This is what caused the slipping (I'm sure you knew that). This slipping basically messed up the timing of the shifting of the gears and therefore caused the bearings on my first gear to bust and the bearings basically fucked up the whole tranny. And now my tranny is showing signs of slipping again and it's 100% sure that it's the torque converter. Well, that's what I've been told. After getting the car rebuilt, with a 1 year warranty on the rebuilt tranny, I can take it in to get replaced before it gets worse.

So, with a stronger torque converter, it will prevent any damage that will result from the its failure.

Just my thought derived from experience. Anyhow, fusionv get more info on this and I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig and having this done. And when I turbo it, they will follow!!

-James
The only thing left to do is to purchase and try it.
http://www.protorque.com/ is the site that has it, i did a google search I did find a couple lengends that do have them and they seem to be happy with them.

Joe Rivera
PROTORQUE
1440 Church St.
Bohemia, NY

He is the guy that I emailed about the info. I guess when you call maybe tell him that you going to try it and give some kind of review. Maybe they do something nice for you. Worth a shot since that is what you are going to do. The only thing that concerns me is that, he said they do it on exchange, I guess they take yours and rebuild it and it may take a 1-2 days. So you car going to out of comission for a couple of days.