Tinting rear window Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinting rear window Matrix

ok, i went to the local tint shop today, and the intaller had a CL himself and said that its really hard to get the tint to stick to the rear "dot matirx".

So if its possible, post a close up pic of your rear matrix area and give some info on where you go it tinted and the method they used to get it to stick.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
search. its been discussed MANY times before. I think there was even a thread reposting this question last week
Old 11-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Instructor

myself when i had mine done I just had them tint up to the dot matrix.. then cover the rest with a piece of black vinyl looks good
Old 11-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Racer

i heard that vinyl will fade if in the sun a lot after about 4 or 5 years.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yea, Dont Get The Vinyl, Mine Started To Fade And Crack After About 3 Months! The Matrix "can" Be Done, Just Takes Alot Of Work To Do It Right........will Never Look Solid, But Close. I Had Mine Tinted, And Put A Tuner Companies Logo Across The Matrix On The Outside Of The Window......looks Great!
Old 11-06-2005, 01:04 AM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i tinted the last cl, i dont remember having any probs with the rear window...
Old 11-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajbent86
ok, i went to the local tint shop today, and the intaller had a CL himself and said that its really hard to get the tint to stick to the rear "dot matirx".

So if its possible, post a close up pic of your rear matrix area and give some info on where you go it tinted and the method they used to get it to stick.
your dude is smoking. My rear window is tinted the same as my passager windows.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Im No Superman

My tint shop had no problem and they have tinted my car 2x. a few bubbles but its really not bad at all
Old 11-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brought my CL to have the windows tinted and the installer placed the tint up to the matrix on the rear glass - I disliked the look as it looked tacky, incomplete/unfinished so I had him remove the film from the rear window. The installer said that they usually install the film that way because it's difficult for the film to adhere to the matrix area, but that he would be willing to try and do the entire glass. So he very lightly sanded the matrix and installed the film on the entire glass. I'm much more satisfied with the film over the entire glass as it looks complete/finished. However, there is a difference in the look where the film is attached to the matrix but it's a great improvement over having the film cover only part of the glass. This was done about 1 1/2 years ago and it still looks fine.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are these installers professional? cause its a simple fix even i know and im only a DIY'er i tinted 2 cars, mine and my parents TL. There are 2 ways to do this, one is use white glue, when the tint is still wet and pealable peal it back to the beginning of the dots, run a bead of white glue or you can also use a glue stick. then squeegy the glue out with a card wrapped in paper towl to catch the excess glue. works good. you wont see white dots from the outside

the other way which is a lil more risky is spray painting the dot all black. but then you would have to tape your interior and will probably have a smell for a while
Old 11-07-2005, 04:08 AM
Safety Car

ive had black vynal over mine for over 2 years now and no fading. i didnt like the look of the dots being covered with the tint, they covered thru all the dots but you could still see the dots. so i had them put a piece of black vynal over the dots.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 AM
fear and Loathing

does someone have a pic of this caues i was goin to get my car tinted but now im not sure. This vynal sounds odd to me help me out here
Old 11-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wontonjohnny
are these installers professional? cause its a simple fix even i know and im only a DIY'er i tinted 2 cars, mine and my parents TL. There are 2 ways to do this, one is use white glue, when the tint is still wet and pealable peal it back to the beginning of the dots, run a bead of white glue or you can also use a glue stick. then squeegy the glue out with a card wrapped in paper towl to catch the excess glue. works good. you wont see white dots from the outside

Most "professionals" i spoke with before i got my tints done use this method. If not glue, they use another sticky substance. But any glue will work. They pour it on then squeegie it out and you cant even tell. It just looks normal. Dont get that vinyl cause thats just a shortcut for them. If they say they cant do it, go somewhere else, you dont want them to experiment on YOUR car
Old 11-07-2005, 11:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ShavedH22CL
does someone have a pic of this caues i was goin to get my car tinted but now im not sure. This vynal sounds odd to me help me out here
sorry, the only pics I really got of it. You can see the black vinyl along the top, on the outside, you cant even tell its there, looks normal

Old 11-07-2005, 11:44 AM
fear and Loathing

Thanks klep. i just couldnt get a picture of it in my head the visual helped
Old 11-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Ricky Bobby

Originally Posted by Chr8808
Most "professionals" i spoke with before i got my tints done use this method. If not glue, they use another sticky substance. But any glue will work. They pour it on then squeegie it out and you cant even tell. It just looks normal. Dont get that vinyl cause thats just a shortcut for them. If they say they cant do it, go somewhere else, you dont want them to experiment on YOUR car

Shortcut my ass. I have installed film for years. Every car at our shop that has dots has vinyl on the dots. It has been on my Type S for 5 years and has not failed yet. If you use a good vinyl never a problem. And to give you background on film, it will never stick on the dots due to the way dot matix paint is made. It will stick most of the way, but there will be white spots here and there. It is also harder to put the vinyl on and it costs more than film. I will try to post pics of mine tonight for you.

And just to let you know, I am involved with the plant that makes the film. I have seen the test and know what film will and will not do.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Racer

rp_carbiz, you said if you use good vinyl it wont fade or crack, what brand would you recommend? I will personally go out and buy it myself and give it to the shop doing my tint if you really think a quality of a specific brand is better than the rest.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rp_carbiz
Shortcut my ass. I have installed film for years. Every car at our shop that has dots has vinyl on the dots. It has been on my Type S for 5 years and has not failed yet. If you use a good vinyl never a problem. And to give you background on film, it will never stick on the dots due to the way dot matix paint is made. It will stick most of the way, but there will be white spots here and there. It is also harder to put the vinyl on and it costs more than film. I will try to post pics of mine tonight for you.

And just to let you know, I am involved with the plant that makes the film. I have seen the test and know what film will and will not do.

white glue works perfect and is super easy. it fill the valleys the dots make and gets rid of the whiteness from the outside and looks perfect from the inside.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Don Ramsey

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/st...&cmArea=SEARCH

I dont know if they only do this in the northwest but every shop/ friend of mine uses this glue! Dont use that runny crap put this on those black metal dots and it will work. Blah vinyl boooooo ghetto!