Those of you with Adjustbale Upper Pillow Ball Mounts (D2,Tein,Ksport,etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Those of you with Adjustbale Upper Pillow Ball Mounts (D2,Tein,Ksport,etc.)

My question is, since you have this, was it necessary for you to purchase a camber kit such as Ignalls & SPC? Or were you able to fully adjust to suit your needs?

Because I'm considering swapping out my non-adjustable SS-P upper mounts for some adjustable ones to correct my camber (granted this is possible) instead of going the Ignalls route.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:52 AM
CL smashin

The adjustable upper pillowball mounts only adjust the dampening, not the camber, so whether you have the pillowball mounts or not, you still need a camber kit. In that picture, there are no pillowball mounts (if you didn't know that), but you can adjust the caster.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:59 AM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
thats some cool looking coilover... looks like ill have to jump off the tanabe brand and on to tien...
Old 09-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Advanced

Judging from the picture. your camber should be fully adjustable. since those are adjustable camber plates. You should be able to get within spec.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CocoTypeS
Judging from the picture. your camber should be fully adjustable. since those are adjustable camber plates. You should be able to get within spec.
i dont think that adjust ur camber. thats for the caster angle.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
WTF why are you gonna skimp out on $100 camber kit, and buy $1000 coils to try and avoid camber? And no it won't work, just buy a camber kit.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Banned

^ if they are possible to change camber (which i think they can, hence why they are called camber plates, call tein to make sure though) then he can go as low as he wants without worrying about the common "camber arm hitting my tires and fenders" problem when he hits a dip etc...

just my
Old 09-12-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
they dont make those camber plates for our cars..i remember when i got mine i thought mine were missin so i call the guy and he said that they dont make em for our car..
Old 09-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro

lol Everyone just confused me. That picture up above is not from my Tein's, I got that pic from Google. It was just a visual of the Adjustable Top Mount, which I think are from the Tein Type Flex set up.

I have the Tein SS-P with the non-adjustable Upper Mounts. What I want to do is replace the mounts currently on my SS-P with Adjustable Upper Mounts (similar to the ones in the pic above) that way I can adjust camber from there. According to the below description, the Adjustable Upper Mounts do adjust camber, and camber only, not caster.

Upper Mount Accord 94-97

TEIN's pillow ball (spherical bearing) upper mount is designed for each individual model of the vehicle. By remaining the positioning design of upper spring and shock absorber close to manufacture's standards, TEIN's pillow ball upper mount keeps height change to the minimum and maintains the stroke center. The rubber bush is replaced with a pillow ball which eliminates the load input compliance, reduces the change of alignment to improve the grip of the tire. *NMB's (The world's top spherical bearing manufacture) pillow ball is used. Ultra duralumin A2017S-T4 (aircraft material) is used for upper seats and adjusting plates with anodized aluminum to have maximum strength and durability. For the Mcpherson strut suspension(only for front) models, the camber angle is adjustable. This creates wide varieties of different suspension settings according to the road and tire conditions. High tension material S45C is used for serration bolts. As it is already inserted with high press, installation time has been completely reduced. With the original long bolt design, it can be easily mounted and gives enough thread for the strut tower bar to be fitted.

That’s why I ask if anyone with D2’s/Ksport were able to fully correct camber with THIER Adjustable Top Mounts if they had them...

Old 09-13-2006, 12:44 AM
Banned

the CL doesn't have a macphereson strut it has a double wishbone (which I've read is better) suspension same as the Intergra and older civics. The newer ones have macphereson like the RSX, newer civics, but I as said they're supposed to be worse in handling.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:17 AM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
The CL does not have double wishbone suspension. Not even the Evo does. Our USDM civics and integras did not come with double wishbone. The type R's in Japan did. The only import that I can think of that has double wishbone suspension is the s2k.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:55 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Cocoa
The CL does not have double wishbone suspension. Not even the Evo does. Our USDM civics and integras did not come with double wishbone. The type R's in Japan did. The only import that I can think of that has double wishbone suspension is the s2k.

your an idiot. the older civic's and integra's DO have double wishbone suspension. why would an integra type r have it and a regular integra not?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:31 AM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
chill jdm cl. there's no need to be calling people idiots here.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:34 AM
Lucky in Kentucky

"Both CL models utilize a front-wheel-drive layout for excellent handling stability, superior traction on slippery road surfaces and an efficient, lightweight overall package. The CL also features a four-wheel double-wishbone suspension, four-wheel disc brakes, Antilock Braking System (ABS) and standard driver's and front passenger's Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) air bag."

Old 09-13-2006, 05:50 AM
Banned

i just know that double wishbone is a sick ass setup..

i highly doubt that a family coupe like the CL would have it. where did u get that info anotherlevel?

oh, and if you are comparing an ITR and a regular integra and saying that they have similar suspension, you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. ITR has probably one of the nicest OEM suspensions and people actually swap their shit out for the OEM ITR suspension components

and dont be calling people noob when they are just trying to be informative. JDM cl my ass, go get a civic and join honda-tech
Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Lucky in Kentucky

i just know that double wishbone is a sick ass setup..

i highly doubt that a family coupe like the CL would have it. where did u get that info anotherlevel?
Link for reference: acuranews.com

Acura CL Chassis Overview:

"The CL is equipped with a 4-wheel, independent double-wishbone suspension with coil springs and front and rear stabilizer bars. The suspension has been designed to provide excellent directional stability and the tight, precise handling control demanded by driving enthusiasts, yet with a forgiving and resilient ride. Helping to achieve those goals are a highly rigid body structure and a 16-inch wheel and tire package specially developed to meet the chassis team's requirements of handling grip, ride poise and quiet operation."
Old 09-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Pro

Uh ohh. Look what I've started...

I guess I should have asked if anyone had adjustable top mounts on there coilovers, which I'm assuming noone has.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 09-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
there are no camber plates for our cars as of now.

/thread
Old 09-13-2006, 09:47 AM
Banned

I stand by what I said whether you believe it or not this car along with the integra LS I had before have double wishbone suspension. It's a fact.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by KLepTo

/thread
That's what I said as well
Old 09-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by danielsmi
I stand by what I said whether you believe it or not this car along with the integra LS I had before have double wishbone suspension. It's a fact.
The car has 2 control arms on each side that are shaped like wishbones Upper and lower control arms are both U shaped, is that what you're referring to.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Recnelis
oh, and if you are comparing an ITR and a regular Integra and saying that they have similar suspension, you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. ITR has probably one of the nicest OEM suspensions and people actually swap their shit out for the OEM ITR suspension components

itr has
1. Aluminum front tower bar to increase stiffness and rigidity
2. The frame where the rear wheel is has also increase stiffness and rigidity by adding thicker sheet metal
3. The pillars and roof rails are thicker to increase stiffness, rigidity and safety.
4. The shock towers have been reinforced to handle the increase spring and damper rates.
5. The rear sub frame has been beefed up
6. Rear trunk bar to increase stiffness and rigidity
7. Lower sub frame bar to increase stiffness and rigidity
8. Front spring rate has increased 22%
9. Front damper rebound increased 70 %, bound increase 115%
10. Rear maximum spring rate increased 22%
11. Rear damper rebound increased 31%, bound increased 61%

Anything else? Anything else at all? Want me to start going into the interior differences? How about the engine and transmission differences? I can even do exterior too?

my point is that although many suspension COMPONENTS have been beefed up. The suspension designs are the same. Integra’s use double wishbone suspension all through out the factory line. Even from the cheapest base model all the way to the R model.

It is sense less to use a McPherson strut design on the base model and then switch to the double wishbone design for the R.

Now do you understand?

and I do own a civic and I did come from Honda-tech
Old 09-13-2006, 01:20 PM
10th Gear

and i want to add that im sorry cocoa for calling you and idiot and 99cl for calling him an idiot.

also on a side note it is confirmed that the bushings used in the dampers and other part of the suspension are stiffer than normal.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KLepTo

/thread
What about the ones Tein offer for the 94-97 accord? Would those work?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:54 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

Acura CL's are double wishbone (aka. long short arms)...along with all hondas and acuras made prior to the current gen models.

Unlike a macpherson strut setup, you can't change camber and caster by changing the angle of the shock for a double wishbone setup.. In a macpherson strut setup, the shock is connected directly to the knuckle and there's no uca. So, if you change the angle of the shock, you change the angle of the knuckle.

You must change the lengths and angles of the uca or lca to adjust camber and caster for a double wishbone suspension. Since the shocks are connected to the lca and not the knuckle, changing the shock angle will do nothing (in terms of caster and camber) for double wishbone cars except changing the motion ratios.

Pillow ball mounts can NEVER be adjusted. They are just spherical bearings that take the place of the rubber bushings inside the shock mount top hats allowing the shock to move freely with the suspension movements. You adjust the shock angle by using camber and caster plates (for macpherson strut cars)
Old 09-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Pro

Thank you my good sir... Cant get anymore thorough than that!