slotted rotors/new pads = vibration + smell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slotted rotors/new pads = vibration + smell?

ok, so on sunday (my bday btw) I finally got around to installing my front set of Rotora slotted rotors and axxis organic pads(I was gonna get metal masters, but I fucking hate noisy brakes, so I figured I would go organic for now and try out MM or ceramic later if I find out they aren't too noisy). ANYWAYS, I installed them on sunday. I have been as gentle on them as I possibly can (attempting to follow the break in procedure suggested by rotora at all times), a couple times I had to brake harder than I wished (not my fault, stupid drivers doing stupid shit), and I have to drive to school still, so I take the highway and will be going 60-80 mph, and I noticed that when I brake even close to medium braking at or above 50 mph the steering wheel will shake a little (or a lot depending on how hard I brake or how fast I am going when I brake). also when I get out of the car after driving far at all the front rotors are really hot, and there is a smell coming from the front brakes. The first time it even smoked a little. It's not like that really nasty smell you get when you dirve withthe e-brake on or anything, just a slight burning smell. Is this just hte pads getting "broken in"? I cant recall if this ever happened when I installed my rear rotors, but I don't think it did. Not this much anyways.

my question is whether this is normal since I've only put about 100 miles on the new rotors/pads, or if I might have installed them wrong or something when I did them? I know for sure I put them on the right side and all the pads were installed in the right places too, so is it just the "break in" period that it will do this shaking/smell , or what?

thanks in advance guys, and I'll take some pics in a bit if you want em.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:41 PM
h22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just keep driving it...it should go away.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:00 AM
Racer

Did you bed-in/break-in the rotors and pads correctly?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:41 AM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
also, you have to break in your new brake pads. Usually takes around 300-500 miles of driving. instead of holding on to the brakes, you have to tap it. That's how you correctly break em in.....
Old 04-20-2005, 04:05 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cocoa
also, you have to break in your new brake pads. Usually takes around 300-500 miles of driving. instead of holding on to the brakes, you have to tap it. That's how you correctly break em in.....
see, that little piece of information was nowhere to be found anywhere on any of hte packaging or anything. I've been braking in the rotors as the little paper that came with them from rotora said to, i'm not gonna go driving 200-500 miles just to break them in. I don't have time for that, but the tap thing with the pads I hadn't heard of. Fast tapping or just on and off braking instead of holding it down lightly?
Old 04-20-2005, 07:27 AM
Advanced

If they are hot and stink; you have a problem. Do they drag when rotated with no pedel pressure? Are you a left foot braker who doesn't remove his foot from the pedel. Did you flush and bleed the brake system? Did you force the caliper pistons back into the caliper with the bleed port open to prevent sluge from going through the anti-skid unit and the master cylinder.
More info and we may have an answer.
Smoky
Old 04-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Safety Car

hmm... well I didn't do any bleeding or anything, but i didn't think that was neccesary. The brake bads do not touch the rotor when not braking. It's only been really hot and smelly the firstfew times. it hasn't really done it since then. I'd imagine it's maybe a tad bit hotter than the stock rotors were when I would do a lot of braking.

the shaking is really hte only thing I'm worried about. The braking is just dandy. stops great and everything, but when I brake at high speeds (ie. 50-80 mph) the steering wheel shakes a little. I'm pretty sure the smell was just the bad brake in smell. It's only really dne it a couple times. I'll go driving some more and check in out again to see if the smell is still there.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Advanced

You may have had pad transfer to the rotors. This is not uncommon and can usually be cured by lightly sanding the rotors to remove the transfered pad material. If that doesn't cure the problem the rotors are out of round and will have to be turned, I hope not. You did torque the wheels ,right?
Let us know how it comes out. By the way, you should flush and bleed the brakes every 2 years and NEVER just push the pistons back into the calipers as crap can plug up the master and anti-skid cylinders.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Safety Car

well the smell and heat ar for the most part gone. I have to put my face up to the rotors to get the smell, but the shaking at high speed braking is still there. I am trying to "tap" the brakes when i stop at high speeds, and that seems to reduce he braking. I'm probably just gonna go flush my brake lines and install some SS brake lines while I'm at it. shouldn't be too expensive fo that... but then I have to replace my goddmn oil pan and that'll suck balls.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:08 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

did you use brake cleaner on the rotors before installing?

check for frozen pistons

take off the pads and seeing how they are wearing

the slotted rotors are like a cheese grator...and organic brake pads are like cheese...they are soft...that's why you need something semi metallic or metallic so you're not shredding your pads