Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter

I am thinking about getting a remote starter and I had a couple of questions.
1.) How difficult are they to install by yourself? I am a pretty confident mechanic, but I haven't ever really done much electrical work on my car.

2.) Which starter should I buy? I'm not looking for an alarm, just the remote starter. Any brand name suggestions?
Old 12-19-2002, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer = SUCK

ok two things...if you haven't done much electrical work, i wouldn't reccomend installing it yourself. Most places require you have it installed by their techs anyway. oh and if you try to call the company for help, they will tell you to "piss off." Since they look down upon do it yourself installs. As for brand, go with the best DEI. Directed Electronics Incorperated. they make viper and all the other nicer security systems. I got the personal valet for $50, i think its around $130 installed.

good luck! hope this helps
Old 12-19-2002, 05:21 PM
cor
MR O'NEAL

yea, if you do end up doing it yourself, make sure you READ a lot of tutorials and stuff like that.. i'm not so sure about DEI remote starters.. i know that their alarms can be shit sometimes, like the shock sensor from DEI is supposedly not sensitive enough at all

if you do want to do it yourself, i suggest just picking up one off of ebay--
ebay is amazing :-P :-D!
Old 12-19-2002, 06:54 PM
Advanced

As for Directed, they don't make it easy to install the stuff by yourself. I put one in my old Explorer and it wasn't that bad. I've thought about doing it to the CL, but I like the stock alarm too much to do it. If you do end up doing it, you can get all of the wiring information for your car off of www.directech.com. It's password protected, but I figured out how to get in. For that matter. I put it in a .txt file cause it's kind of awkward to paste in the post. There is security wiring, and remote start wiring.

Hope it helps.