Price of Window Tint????

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price of Window Tint????

How much did people pay to have their windows tinted, and what kind did you go with? Is 35% dark or light? We have a certain limit here in Washington State...don't know what it is...but just curious, let me know. Lata

By the way...where can I get the Acura-CL.com sticker?
Old 01-26-2003, 05:24 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ok heres the Lo-Down...

Window Tint is not that bad to put on...Its a BITCH to take off...make sure your putting on what you want....theres NO turning back after its on.

As far as the percentage goes...100% means 100% visibility "through" the window. (ie-your stock window) 5% is the Darkest you can go...its 5% visibility through the window. 5% is what is used on Limos.

Concerning the legal limits and laws...u need to call your local courthouse or police station and ask what the legal limit for window tint is. Here in Kansas, its 35%...so that means you can tint your window up to 35% without gettin F*ed by the cops.

I have 20% all around my CL....and i have a "Brow" which is the arch looking strip some people have on the top of the front windshield. For this, there is a little marking on the top left side of the front windshield (when sitting inside the car) and it reads like AS1--> (or somethin like that) that marking is the lowest the brow can go without being illegal.)

All and all, talk to the local courthouse or if you see a cop chillin somewhere clockin people, pull up next to him and ask for 5min of him time...im sure thy wont care.

So recaping..... 5% is the darkest 100% is the lightest...

You usaully can only get 5% - 12% - 20% or 35%.....

One last thing...some laws state your back windows can be any tint but the front driver and passenger have to be a certian %. For this, you could put like 35% on the front 2 windows and then 20% on the back 3....its all about what u want.

*****Check out my WWW at the bottom and look at the picts of my tint...yes its illegal but i HAVE gotten pulled over and ive never gotten screwed...i guess ive gotten lucky...
Old 01-26-2003, 05:28 PM

PS: one more thing.....CALL AROUND AND ASK FOR PRICES!!!! Usaully people will charge a CRAP LOAD for illegal tinting because if it comes back to them, the police can screw them for illegal tinting...I found a guy who tinted mine (2 door) for $140 + $20 fo the "brow" His deal was he would charge one price for ANY percentage...i got lucky...see what deals you can find...the other shop i talked to wanted an extra $150 to $250 for illegal tint...SCREW THAT!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
around here (in cali) its illegal to tint your front 2 windows, but the rears and the back you can tint as much as you want. I have 20% on the back and 30% on the rear-sides. So it doesnt look like my car is chopped in half. Its about $160. I would also recommend you gettin a black vinal strip across your "dot matrix" on the top of your back window. (you can see abunch of little dots.) Theres a link to what the legal % is to tint in each state but i cant find it right now...sorry.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the info fellas, I appreciate it.

Acura3.0Cl: Where can I see pics of your car with the tint?
Old 01-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Six Speeds

Washington Law requires no darker than a 35% tint (all the way around)
Old 01-26-2003, 07:38 PM
Advanced

I have 20% on the back and rear side windows and 35% on the door windows. Because it's darker tint on the back windows and the fact my car is white, it makes the door windows look darker than they really are. It normally costs $150 but I got a discount through a friend, $90 out the door.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:46 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
Make sure you get the metallic tint so it wont turn purple and crack and get all nasty.

There are several different brands I prefer 3M, best for the money in my opinion, cost me $200 here in LA where everyone tints.

Most people tint illegally like myself, i did it 35% all around on my CL cause i had my prelude 50% in front and 35% in back and I like it better even all the way around, specially on an all black car. If i went back east i wouldnt go illegal cause tinting isnt as popular where it isnt sunny almost all year ( you stick out like a sore thumb.)

The color of your car will also affect how dark your tint looks unless its like 5%. the lighter the car the darker your tint will look. One of those optical tricks regarding color and what not.

My 35% tint doesnt look as dark on my black car as the same 35% tint looks on my friends silver car, and he got busted for illegal tint.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:49 PM
The Third Ball

Three more things:

I drive with the shade on my moonroof open which helps make the tint look a little lighter by letting more light into the cabin.

If you live in a state that has "real" winters tinting is usually cheaper during that time of year then the summer.

Finally, I agree with the black vinyl across the top in the rear (i still need to do that, looks kinda bad)
Old 01-26-2003, 10:37 PM

ACsocr9 : Ok, go to my WWW button under this post and look at pict # 11 & 7 & 8 & 17 for the picts of the tint...really cant see much but the brow u can see really well...i put the ACURA across the top to make it look better...and besides the fast EVERYONE thought it was a damn Accord that was brandnew or somethin...ANYWAY! when u do get it tinted, MAKE sure u DO NOT roll down the windows or touch them for like a week...especially if its cold on washington and if u park outside...the tint needs time to heat up by the sun and dry...i'd wait a week cuz u dont want bubbles....ALSO!!! when u or your passengers take off their seatbelts, MAKE SURE you dont just toss them after u un-click it....the metal part will end up hitting the window and putting scratches or holes in the tint like mine. (i learned the hard way)

Oh, and if bubbles do occer...ask if the person who tinted it can get then out for free...usaully they only occer on the brow close to the edge...for this, i got a business card and curved it and pushed out the bubbles...
Old 01-26-2003, 11:16 PM
cmng 2 a lawschool near u

oh and you might want to know, I was at the acura dealership when I got my car serviced and he explained something to me. He said that the reason that my window motors are going out so quick is because the tint acts like a squigi. Makes it harder for the motor to push the window UP.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:24 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by KC CL 1785
oh and you might want to know, I was at the acura dealership when I got my car serviced and he explained something to me. He said that the reason that my window motors are going out so quick is because the tint acts like a squigi. Makes it harder for the motor to push the window UP.
yeah they thicken the window a tad bit. you notice most when you start using teh windows again after the setting period.

one more thing: most of the better known tints have lifetime warranties, like 3M so if any imperfections occur they fix it for free.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:05 AM
Instructor

Thanks for all of the quick responses to my question fellas. That will definitely be a lot of help for me. Now, I'll have to call around and see what people want to charge to put it on around here.

From what people were saying it sounds like 3M is for sure the best way to go.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:15 AM
Burning Brakes

yea i've been noticing that "weaker" power window affect, i have 20% all around, and it's getting kinda annoying now, is there something I can do to keep this sucker greased and not have it blow a window motor working?
Old 01-27-2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by KC CL 1785
I dont know about that....

my windows are sooooo slow and i dont have tint.

The window is on rollers, so the fraction of an ounce that the tint weighs wouldnt slow the motor down any more than the window being wet.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:16 AM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by CLUofI
I dont know about that....

my windows are sooooo slow and i dont have tint.

The window is on rollers, so the fraction of an ounce that the tint weighs wouldnt slow the motor down any more than the window being wet.
Trust it makes a difference, it thickens the window just enough. my car got used to it so i dont have any problems, but i assume other brands of tint maybe thicker.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:20 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,171 Likes on 686 Posts
The tint wont make that big of difference in the window performance, the motors/regulators on all H/A products suck. I paid $140 for the upgraded tint that blocks more heat(120 for the base stuff but they used a heat light to show me a difference between the base and upgrade and it was huge). I ended up doing the legal limit which is 20 in the back and 35 in the front. I really wish i got 20 all around, here is a quick pic
Old 01-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Still trolling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Texas tint law:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/tint.htm
Old 01-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

yea, where can you get an acura-cl.com sticker?
Old 01-28-2003, 03:37 AM
Instructor

Anybody know?

Where can we get Acura-Cl.com stickers?