parting with my CL...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 01:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parting with my CL...

I am in the process of trading in my much-loved CL for a new ride. She has served me well, but I think the aging styling has finally caught up to her, more and more 16 year olds are seen everyday cruising around in a first gen CL blasting Enimen to no ends.

I narrowed down my choices to the new Type S, 01 bmw 328ci. Or a SLK. SLK seems to offer little other than of course the prestige factor. The exterior of the bimmer in my opinion resembles a Civic, interior room is certainly very cramped for a 4 seater. Type S seems to be very value orientated, but the styling is quite bland, and it obviously trails far behind its competitors as far as prestige is concerned…

Like to hear all of your opinions…
Old 08-03-2001, 02:00 PM
Pro

Of your listed choices I'd get the BMW....
If it were me I'd get a new RSX type S and mod the hell out of it....
Old 08-03-2001, 02:03 PM
Retired Post Whore

I would wait until at the end of the year to check out all the differnt cars that are going to be released. Im waitng for the review of the new Altima and Maxima. They are gonna to be interestin.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:11 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

ok.. here goes...

Type-S.. onlt the TL.. I hate the new CL body design.. BLAND doesnt begin to describe it IMO...

BMW.. I hate those damn cars... dont like nothing about... if you go german.. I say...

BENZ or PORSHE!!!!
Old 08-03-2001, 02:14 PM
Retired Post Whore

Casper, dont be player hating the 2nd generation.
Old 08-03-2001, 02:18 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

im not playing hating... Its my opinion inwhicvh I am entitled... If you like yours thats what counts... Im dsure we can agree to disgree.. I have no problems with the you or your car..
Old 08-03-2001, 02:23 PM
Retired Post Whore

I still like you Casper! :p
Old 08-03-2001, 02:27 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

good... one less enemy i have in this world... one less key scratch waiting to happen!!!
Old 08-03-2001, 03:25 PM
i like chicken

1. Benz CLK AMG
2. NSX (no i dont mean the goofy looking RSX)
3. MDX

just 3 of my current likes.

Bimmers are not near the quality of a benz! if you like the bimmers, get a new c class benz!'

my $.02
Old 08-03-2001, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

the only thing i have to say about the new type s is, if i wanted a sporty/luxury car that big i would go get a 96 impalla ss. With a few mods thoes beasts will run a 10 or 11 in the 1/4 mile But mabey thats just my love of american power. No replacement for displacment
Old 08-03-2001, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

and if your sellin anything off your car, im always lookin for good deals
Old 08-03-2001, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

The CLK is a nice car and something that I have been looking at.... Nice but other than the prestige, there's not much. You pay for the prestige when you buy the car and during your normal maintence!

Bimmer's are nice, but I don't think it makes sense getting a 3 series that's smaller than your CL for the price you have to pay. I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 5 series. The 3's are so common now and if your already complaining about "kids" in CL's, it will be worse with the 3 series.

The TL-S would be my top choice out of the 3 that you picked because of the value, lists of features, etc. There is so much more that you can do with the TL than the 1st gen CL, so take a closer look at it....

Others to consider in the $30-$35K price range...

MB C-class - A little small, but a nice baby benz!
Lexus GS 300 or 400 (Used) - You can't beat this....
BMW 5 Series (used) - Nothing to say here. This car is amazing.
Jaguar X-type - Nice, has some very good potential, for a Ford....

That's all I can think about right now.....

Anyway, Hope it helps.
Old 08-07-2001, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
What kind of car do you want? The SLK is a two-seat roadster, the 328Ci is a convertible coupe, and the Type-S is either the new generation of what you have now or the four-door version. You asked for opinions, so here are mine:

- The SLK is a great car, but overpriced. And if you want a sports car, you need to get the new SLK32AMG--the SLK230 and SLK320 are dogs.

- The 328Ci is a good cara, but overpriced. You see 3-series everywhere and the quality of BMW cars is suffering. They are riding a bow wave of popularity now that I predict will crash when people realize they spent a lot of money for not much car and not very good customer service.

- The CL Type-S is a good value, but not very attractive. The TL-Type S is an unbelievable value, but much more a family car than the others you listed.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:21 PM
Hum........what next??

Originally posted by Kiljaedoen:
<STRONG>and if your sellin anything off your car, im always lookin for good deals </STRONG>

Yeah me too!

Like your HID kit.

BTW.........I'd opt for the Type-S!!!

But I like all 3.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:39 PM
First Gen PRINCESS

Well, I drove the 3-series cars when I was looking at getting a new car and loved the way even the basic 325i drove. Bimmers are a blast. Personally, I would get a BMW over a MBZ. But, that's my opinion. Acuras are great cars, but they don't offer the prestige the other German cars offer. Well, anyhoo, good luck and keep us all posted
Old 08-07-2001, 08:28 PM
Advanced

Just my opinion, but I'd go with the SLK.

Why? I think they look great. Never driven one, so not sure about that aspect.

The BMW? I have never been a fan of BMW's. Also seems like many of the drivers are jerks. Stereotype? Yes. Accurate? Probably most of the time.

The 2nd Gen CL seriously looks way too bland for my taste. Looks way bigger than the 1st Gen and almost looks like they tried to copy a Ford Taurus or Toyota Solara. I constantly pull up to them, thinking it is a Taurus or Solara and then realizing that it's a new CL. I' not knocking nayone that has a 2nd Gen, they are just not my style. At least the 1st gens are unique in look.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:40 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Don't get a 2nd Gen CL if u already had the 1st gen. It's time for you to try something entirely new!
Old 08-07-2001, 09:36 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

Originally posted by HellaWhat:
<STRONG>Don't get a 2nd Gen CL if u already had the 1st gen. It's time for you to try something entirely new!</STRONG>

I completely agree... but I would only stay with ACURA!!!
Old 08-07-2001, 09:51 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Originally posted by Casper98CL:
<STRONG>

I completely agree... but I would only stay with ACURA!!!</STRONG>
When i first got the CL, I went over to my best friends house and I saw the dude who lived in front of him that still has his 1st gen. He loves the 2nd gen, like the interior and the features, and even the styling as he thought the 1st was a bit too unique. Anyhow, his words were, "it's time for something new. Had I not owned a 1st gen, I'd buy a 2nd gen."
Old 08-07-2001, 09:54 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

<STRONG>

When i first got the CL, I went over to my best friends house and I saw the dude who lived in front of him that still has his 1st gen. He loves the 2nd gen, like the interior and the features, and even the styling as he thought the 1st was a bit too unique. Anyhow, his words were, "it's time for something new. Had I not owned a 1st gen, I'd buy a 2nd gen."</STRONG>

see i would stay acura.. just not CL.... go up to a TL... do it right... get new - get bigger - get up the line!!!
Old 08-07-2001, 09:58 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

<STRONG>

see i would stay acura.. just not CL.... go up to a TL... do it right... get new - get bigger - get up the line!!!</STRONG>
Different situations, different choices. If I had to get another Acura, I'd be stuck w.o a choice. I don't want a 4 door right now (being 20 and singles doens't require 2 extra doors) and there's nothing in Acura's lineup that would appease me. I don't need the RSX cause it's a step down in terms of luxury and the MDX is a SUV.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:01 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

<STRONG>

Different situations, different choices. If I had to get another Acura, I'd be stuck w.o a choice. I don't want a 4 door right now (being 20 and singles doens't require 2 extra doors) and there's nothing in Acura's lineup that would appease me. I don't need the RSX cause it's a step down in terms of luxury and the MDX is a SUV.</STRONG>

lol.. true true.... but 4-dr TL is really a big 2dr with more space... car blows almost all away!!! and you still get the attention if not more!!!!
Old 08-07-2001, 10:03 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Actually, I get way more attention with the CLS since there are so many more TL's out there. And like I said, I have no desire for the extra 2 doors yet.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:07 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

k... CL-S gets attention .. but there are sooo many more CL-S in NY than TL-S... my brothers is one in few hereespecially in agean blue.. now there are 2 thanks to JUNIORBEAN!!!!
Old 08-07-2001, 10:46 PM
7th Gear

I should have such a problem!
I would look at the Lexus IS300.
The new G35 from Infinity.
The MDX from Infinity.
The Honda S2000...White with REd.
A New Corvette Conv White with Red.
An RL 3.5.
A Saab Convertible
Procshe Boxer....Yea, White with RED
Old 08-07-2001, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Personally I dont understand why you want to get rid of your 1st Gen yes I am only 17 18 in 2 months and I just got my CL not that long ago but my first car was crap and i worked my ass off but I dont go blasting Eminem I appreciate my car and what it is and does for me and I think just because kids drive CL's shouldn't make you want to get rid of yours I know im just a "kids opinion" but hey whatever you want I also have a love for cars and hooking them up RIGHT (by the way my first car was a 94 taurus which had a horrible tranny and drove like shit) but I see where you are comming from I know there are kids that blast shit like eminem and fuck up the CL gen1 but thats them not me or you I treat my car like gold but if you want to get a new car I would not go for a 3 series my boss has one and they are over priced he has an M3 (I have a good job working with an architect he my boss is cool and I do real work not that retail shit hell I went to a trade high school for drafting for 4 years and now I am going to college for architecture guess what I want to do ) I would for for the Benz or a TL type S nice cars its your choice so make it a good one sorry guys for writing so much
Old 08-07-2001, 11:46 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

<STRONG>k... CL-S gets attention .. but there are sooo many more CL-S in NY than TL-S... my brothers is one in few hereespecially in agean blue.. now there are 2 thanks to JUNIORBEAN!!!!</STRONG>
Let's put it this way... For every 10 TL/TLS I see on the road, I see 1 CL/CLS.....
Old 08-08-2001, 04:56 AM
First Gen PRINCESS

Hmmm... so there are lots of teenie boppers driving GEN1 CLs these days? Dang, up in these here parts I still see mostly grannies and young execs driving CLs. I think I'm one of the youngest owners in my neck of the woods. I've had my car since day one and thought I was one of the few youngens driving this kind of car. Either that or I'm not out on the streets when these young CLers are cruising the strip
Old 08-08-2001, 12:08 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

<STRONG>

Let's put it this way... For every 10 TL/TLS I see on the road, I see 1 CL/CLS.....</STRONG>
really.. wow in NY its all CL-s.. wonder why that is...??? dont get me wrong... there are alot of TLs.. just not TL-S....

Old 08-08-2001, 12:59 PM
Hum........what next??

Yeah....lots of CL-S's here in AZ too!
Old 08-08-2001, 02:52 PM
Adrienne

Originally posted by ModedGen1CL:
<STRONG>Personally I dont understand why you want to get rid of your 1st Gen yes I am only 17 18 in 2 months and I just got my CL not that long ago but my first car was crap and i worked my ass off but I dont go blasting Eminem I appreciate my car and what it is and does for me and I think just because kids drive CL's shouldn't make you want to get rid of yours I know im just a "kids opinion" but hey whatever you want I also have a love for cars and hooking them up RIGHT (by the way my first car was a 94 taurus which had a horrible tranny and drove like shit) but I see where you are comming from I know there are kids that blast shit like eminem and fuck up the CL gen1 but thats them not me or you I treat my car like gold but if you want to get a new car I would not go for a 3 series my boss has one and they are over priced he has an M3 (I have a good job working with an architect he my boss is cool and I do real work not that retail shit hell I went to a trade high school for drafting for 4 years and now I am going to college for architecture guess what I want to do ) I would for for the Benz or a TL type S nice cars its your choice so make it a good one sorry guys for writing so much </STRONG>
I would like to congratulate you on your fantastic 271-word run-on sentence. That is truly a work of art. Good work, team.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:02 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

ouch... angel getting all grammatical and shit!!! lol :p
Old 08-08-2001, 03:44 PM
Adrienne

No, I'm truly impressed with his ability to say so much without any punctuation at all! And I'm always concerned about being grammatically correct, Casper. You should know that.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by DevilCL:
<STRONG>No, I'm truly impressed with his ability to say so much without any punctuation at all! And I'm always concerned about being grammatically correct, Casper. You should know that. </STRONG>
I was having a little trouble reading that myself! I didn't know when I should stop to catch my breath!
Old 08-08-2001, 07:23 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

yea well
the way i see it is that we dont say punctuation when we speak so i dont see reason to use it when we write
I will simply pause in my sentences by skipping to the next line of text
as i would if i were pausing during speech because of a punctuation mark
so how do you like how this works
maybe it can be the proper gramatics for Ebonics

[ 08-08-2001: Message edited by: Casper98CL ]
Old 08-09-2001, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Yeah real funny guys I dont really car though
I have to worry about that shit all day writing letters to builders and clients
so I dont care about being gramatically correct now I work on house plans and write letters for 5 days a week
so when I come on the board I don't expect to be treated like a fucking idiot
I just type and I see no one cares about my fucking opinion only if I can type correctly damn

As for the Teenie Bopper thing I do take offense to that
I am not a fucking tennie bopper
and the correct definition of a tennie bopper would be a pre-teen trying to be a teen thank you very much
Casper thank you I see I am not the only one not being gramatically correct

So I just want you to know I came to this board to be friends have fun and talk about our cars and what we plan to do with them
not be critisized I don't know maybe the board wasnt a great idea I get enough critisizm from my fucking boss
Old 08-09-2001, 12:00 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

<STRONG>Yeah real funny guys I dont really car though
I have to worry about that shit all day writing letters to builders and clients
so I dont care about being gramatically correct now I work on house plans and write letters for 5 days a week
so when I come on the board I don't expect to be treated like a fucking idiot
I just type and I see no one cares about my fucking opinion only if I can type correctly damn

As for the Teenie Bopper thing I do take offense to that
I am not a fucking tennie bopper
and the correct definition of a tennie bopper would be a pre-teen trying to be a teen thank you very much
Casper thank you I see I am not the only one not being gramatically correct

So I just want you to know I came to this board to be friends have fun and talk about our cars and what we plan to do with them
not be critisized I don't know maybe the board wasnt a great idea I get enough critisizm from my fucking boss </STRONG>

DUDE.. no problem... just relax.. just RAZING you alil... no harm meant or done by anybody Im sure...

EVERYONE APOLOGIZE!!!!!
Old 08-09-2001, 12:16 PM
Adrienne

I was SO not criticizing you. Grow up!

I had a feeling you were gonna get your panties in a twist about that, sweetie. Just calm down, take some deep breaths, and relax. Nobody is criticizing you. I was REALLY APPLAUDING YOU on your lack of punctuation. That was NOT SARCASTIC. I generally feel compelled to punctuate my sentences, and it is unusual to find someone able to write an entire paragraph with none whatsoever. If I were to do that, I would have to go back through the paragraph and delete my punctuation marks.

But, since you both brought it up, I have to ask you and Casper (no hard feelings here guys, I'm just wondering)... what is so hard about punctuation that you feel it necessary to just let yourselves loose and party by not using periods or commas anywhere? And by the way, Casper, your end-of-thought-line-endings are a great idea, but they're probably much harder to implement than punctuation, since you have to consciously hit enter at the end, rather than a period.

Again, this is not said with any condescension, rancor or sarcasm. I'm trying to be friends, too. If any of my real-life friends wrote me a note or spoke like that, believe me, I'd say much worse things to them. The problem with typed messages is that there's no tone of voice, so you didn't hear my laughing behind all of that. But look... here is me laughing. Here is me yelling. Here is me crying.

How about a hint, guys, unless I'm using all caps and bold print, and a bunch of s and s, I'm not being a bitch. I'm being the friendly jokester; if you don't like it, then put me on the ignore list or something. And please, grow up.
Old 08-09-2001, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

<STRONG>So I just want you to know I came to this board to be friends have fun and talk about our cars and what we plan to do with them
not be critisized I don't know maybe the board wasnt a great idea I get enough critisizm from my fucking boss </STRONG>
DUDE! CALM DOWN......

I'm sure that nobody is planning on making enemies on this board. We are all here for the same reason. Most of the time everyone is joking when they say something that sounds "mean". Like Angel/ Devil said, (or whoever she's planning on being next week ), don't get your panties all twisted :p .

You argue with your family at home, you argue with your extended family here.... no biggie. Just chill out and take it in stride.
Old 08-09-2001, 07:59 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

look the way i see it is theres no reason to get all uptighht bout a lil humor or some post directed towards you.. take it in.... its from a stranger and relax.. HELL I WAS CALLED A "RICER" BY ICEMAN.. and we are still kool.. right ICEMAN!!! lol

Quick Reply: parting with my CL...