new stereo setup...almost all completed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:35 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
new stereo setup...almost all completed

ok, i'm pretty new here, and haven't posted pics of my car yet, cuz i wanted to have something to show at least, so here's what i got so far, installed about 2 weeks ago by a friend, while i dynamatted

this is my single DIN dvd player, and you can see my bass/freq knob next to the e-brake

extreme dynamat trunk lid

showing that i even dynamatted the corners

full trunk dynamatting

my 2 farad cap

my chrome rockford 5-channel amp and the cap

and finally all of it together in the trunk, not all done though, this setup is meant to be a false floor type, so i will eventually have a panel made so that the trunk floor is level with the top of the sub grills.... Let me know what you guys think so far?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:19 PM
For Life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good clean install mitch cant wait to see it done. i hope to be finishing mine soon too. looks good. what subs are those btw??
Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
glad to see some pics mang, looks like its coming along nicely. that headunit is money, thats dvd?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Lookin clean, holy dynamat, how many watts you pushin? Box doesn't look like there's much air space for those subs. Can't wait to see it finished.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:20 PM
I win

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice HU
Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 AM
CL in lawnmower status

to answer all of the questions

blind shooter- the subs are 12" W3v3's, i just have the JL grills on them incase i put a lot of stuff in my trunk, so the subs don't get punctured or damaged, but i hate that the grills cover the subs up, cuz i love looking at them when they pound

southern jersey- the headunit is a jvc arsenal, it has dvd and usb input(which i use) i have 4 8GB flash drives to hold my music videos, i just use the dvd function for movies etc...

blackack- my amp is rated for around 1750W RMS, the 4 speaker channels get around 110W RMS each and the sub channel is getting like 700W RMS running at 2 ohms if i remember correctly, and also there is plently of room for the subs, the whole box sits a couple inches above the normal floor but there is a fiberglass bottom which is custom done to follow the sides and bottom of the spare tire well. I think it was also custom made for the specific subs, so i think around 2 cu ft of air space. If i get some time in the next couple days i'll see if i can snap some pics of what it looks like, it's easier to see what it looks like than to explain it. and yes i did dynamat a lot, a whole car kit (36 sq ft worth) used on my trunk, not including the trunk lid.

and thanks guys for all the compliments, i can't wait till it's done either, i've had some of the equipment since march now
Old 08-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i had a kenwood headunit in my camry, which had a usb input. i had a 4gb and two 512mb flash drives with music and shit on it. too bad the damn screen broke on it, otherwise id put it in the ack
Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 AM
Cruisin'

plastic mounting hardware

Dang looks sweet - I do have a few quick questions:

The kit that you used to put the head unit in - is it by Scoche? I just installed a Kenwood HU and I got a mount kit made of plastic and I thought it was gonna look real nice but then I realized that the bottom pocket was not flush with the outer black trim part!! I was kind of bummed - I mean it looks ok but not as clean as I would like.....

I can't really tell by the pic if your pocket lines up flush or not...just curious....

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:42 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Originally Posted by saucycg
Dang looks sweet - I do have a few quick questions:

The kit that you used to put the head unit in - is it by Scoche? I just installed a Kenwood HU and I got a mount kit made of plastic and I thought it was gonna look real nice but then I realized that the bottom pocket was not flush with the outer black trim part!! I was kind of bummed - I mean it looks ok but not as clean as I would like.....

I can't really tell by the pic if your pocket lines up flush or not...just curious....

Thanks!
i'll take some closer pics if i have time in the next couple of days. On mine the HU sticks out too far, but i'm used to it now, and yes it is made by Scosche.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
really like the single din head unit, looks cool.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Instructor

N00b question: whats dynamatt? Nd i dont mean the explosives, sorry to take away from all of your sarcastic fun.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:10 AM
W WHIP.

Dynomite are explosives. Dynamat is a sound-deadening layer you put in your car to keep road noise out and all your music in. It also decreases trunk ratteling, etc. Other types include FatMat and a couple other products are other there that are cheaper versions of Dynamat.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Cruisin'

That would be awesome, thanks....

Here is what my install looks like. It's obvious that it's sticking out farther at the bottom, yet everything seems to be installed properly....

Originally Posted by mitch14
i'll take some closer pics if i have time in the next couple of days. On mine the HU sticks out too far, but i'm used to it now, and yes it is made by Scosche.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:39 AM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice. The false floor is pretty bad ass. I really like.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:20 PM
CL in lawnmower status

first off, ZeroCL is right about dynamat, but just to inform you guys thinking about getting some, it doesn't completely get rid of the rattling, you will still hear some rattling in the trunk because it's just a mat that you lay ontop, and i dunno what the differences are between having dynamat or not having dynamat because i haven't had a system in the cl untill now. But it's just basically sheets of an almost tar like substance with a layer of thick foil ontop. OK and now here are some pics of my HU install kit for saucycg

mine looks like it sits more flush than yours, did you install it yourself or get it done?
But i'm gonna ask my buddy who installed mine, cuz he said the kits were shit too, but i think he might have trimmed mine a little to make it fit better.
My HU sticks out way futher than yours though, cuz it has a screen on it
Old 08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Guitarded

The first picture broke my neck but it all looks good! Keep it coming.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Was wondering if you used the spare tire well, great design, can't wait to see the finished floor
Old 08-17-2008, 10:18 PM
For Life

my car dont rattle......
Old 08-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks!

Dude, thanks for snapping those shots! Your setup looks great with that kit! Sigh...now I need to tear it all apart and start over!!!

I did the install myself - have been doing my own installs plus some buddies as well for as long as I can remember. I think I'll work on getting the trim pieces to line up all nice and then mount the radio and pop it all back in.

I am really glad to see that with a bit of tweaking I can get it to look nice!

I would love to hear what your buddy has to say - the kit seemed pretty straightforward to install but I know it's made for multiple cars so maybe a bit of trimming/customizing is in order.

Thanks again...

first off, ZeroCL is right about dynamat, but just to inform you guys thinking about getting some, it doesn't completely get rid of the rattling, you will still hear some rattling in the trunk because it's just a mat that you lay ontop, and i dunno what the differences are between having dynamat or not having dynamat because i haven't had a system in the cl untill now. But it's just basically sheets of an almost tar like substance with a layer of thick foil ontop. OK and now here are some pics of my HU install kit for saucycg

mine looks like it sits more flush than yours, did you install it yourself or get it done?
But i'm gonna ask my buddy who installed mine, cuz he said the kits were shit too, but i think he might have trimmed mine a little to make it fit better.
My HU sticks out way futher than yours though, cuz it has a screen on it
Old 08-17-2008, 11:02 PM
W WHIP.

I'm not sure how the 97 is setup, but my 98 has 2 screws at the bottom of the little 'cubby'. underneath it and towards the back. if the whole piece isnt mounted correctly it will stick out a little as well. so maybe just check how its lying in there
Old 08-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
In my '98, I had to trim the two tabs on the back of the dash kit to make it fit right. It had tabs that were supposed to snap into some car, but when I put it into my dash, the tabs just pushed the HU out and it looked really bad.

As for the CL with no dynamat, I just got done installing my T1 powered by a 450.2 and it hardly rattles at all. I don't think I'm going to need any dynamat, but who knows. First up is another battery and finishing the sealing of the box, then amp racks and then maybe dynamat.

Either way, nice install Mitch...
Old 08-17-2008, 11:25 PM
W WHIP.

thats how mine is with the two tabs. kinda makes the bottom piece 'bow' up i guess you could say? like the middle kinda has an arc? i should have taken care of that a couple weeks ago when i took apart the whole console. oh well.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 AM
CL in lawnmower status

Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter
my car dont rattle......
your gonna have to tell me how you did that , either that or you don't have enough bass to make it rattle
Old 08-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter
my car dont rattle......
x2 dynamat works wonders
Old 08-18-2008, 12:33 PM
98 3.0CL

i think my HU sticks out more than both of yours

Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM
For Life

your gonna have to tell me how you did that , either that or you don't have enough bass to make it rattle

my box is only sitting in the trunk, it doesnt port my bass into the trunk but rather off my back window instead. glass doesnt rattle and the window takes the brunt of the bass coming out the port. only negative is my back window flexes when its cranked. if you dont want to cut your deck like i did you could remove one or both of back 6x9's and put the port there for louder and cleaner bass. thats assuming you have a bass reflex box (a box with a port).

x2 dynamat works wonders
and your right it does very well, the more bass you plan to put in the car the more you will need. doing the trunk is good for most with a few subs but the doors go a long way, when you have ALOT of bass or nice speakears in the door. i covered my car with 2 of the extreme bulk packs. i paid the most attention to the roof, the back, and the floor. The roof of my car no longer flexes like it did, my car doesnt rattle any more inside or outside the car, i "feel" the bass more, and best of all it raised my spl about 2-3 db's. also there is other materials and products that dynamat sells that are great, i used a little of the spray they sell too for the hard to reach places.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

My hu has always stuck out like that for about 5 years, I used to be OCD about it, but it's so minimal that it doesn't bother me

shooter, I used like 5 cans of dynamat spray in my trunk, before they discontinued making it. I did my entire trunk lid, back deck, and the seems in the trunk floor under the carpet. I have xtreme door sets on my door panels even though they didn't rattle, and I have a dynamat precut license plate kit on as well, no rattles for me. Had to dynamat the inside of the center support for my oem wing, cuz it was cracked from the vibrations.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
For Life

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
My hu has always stuck out like that for about 5 years, I used to be OCD about it, but it's so minimal that it doesn't bother me

shooter, I used like 5 cans of dynamat spray in my trunk, before they discontinued making it. I did my entire trunk lid, back deck, and the seems in the trunk floor under the carpet. I have xtreme door sets on my door panels even though they didn't rattle, and I have a dynamat precut license plate kit on as well, no rattles for me. Had to dynamat the inside of the center support for my oem wing, cuz it was cracked from the vibrations.
thats awesome. and that spray is the shiz but $$. my friend has the gun they make so it was pretty easy to shoot into the corners. my box design didnt really call for too much in the trunk but i put dynamat on the trunk lid and it killed the last little rattles. folded up newspaper keeps the plate from rattling
Old 08-18-2008, 05:54 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
x2 dynamat works wonders
i was thinking about putting another layer on the trunk lid, but my trunk barely pops as it is right now. can you get new trunk tension bars? or does yours just barely open aswell?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 AM
Cruisin'

So here is an update: the Scosche kit is a piece of crap. It is made for too many cars and must be why it doesn't line up properly. I was going to shave a bit off the front or back of the cubby but you can't really do that or it screws it all up.

Long story short, I figured that I was going to buy a new kit anyway so I started hacking up the one I had - I ended up shaving a different back piece down a bit and I took a hunk of wood and drilled out some holes, lined it all up and then I bolted on the original metal bracket from the Acura radio.

Believe it or not, the end result looks pretty hokey outside, but it looks GREAT in the dash. I attached some pics here but the quality is pretty weak - ended up taking the pics close to midnight on my phone...

That would be awesome, thanks....

Here is what my install looks like. It's obvious that it's sticking out farther at the bottom, yet everything seems to be installed properly....
Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 AM
For Life

i was thinking about putting another layer on the trunk lid, but my trunk barely pops as it is right now. can you get new trunk tension bars? or does yours just barely open aswell?
yea i did 2 layers and the trunk no longer "pops" open all the way. just kinda opens an inch or 2. but i dont have a trunk anymore anyways so i never use it anyways. if your subs are positioned to fire at the trunk it might help.

Originally Posted by saucyg
So here is an update: the Scosche kit is a piece of crap. It is made for too many cars and must be why it doesn't line up properly. I was going to shave a bit off the front or back of the cubby but you can't really do that or it screws it all up.

Long story short, I figured that I was going to buy a new kit anyway so I started hacking up the one I had - I ended up shaving a different back piece down a bit and I took a hunk of wood and drilled out some holes, lined it all up and then I bolted on the original metal bracket from the Acura radio.

Believe it or not, the end result looks pretty hokey outside, but it looks GREAT in the dash. I attached some pics here but the quality is pretty weak - ended up taking the pics close to midnight on my phone...
looks ghetto, but once its in there nobody can tell. so maybe it was worth the effort. mine squeaks and doenst fit right so its better than mine.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Just playin man, the hu sits perfectly now, I've always wanted to anchor mine down somehow but never cared cuz I have a double din kit waiting to go in, but great work, glad to see someone fixed the problem
Old 08-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Cruisin'

Ghetto Fabulous dude, that's how I roll.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Cruisin'

One last question...

Thanks guys for the advice. One last thing - I want to replace that center console, you can see the previous owner did a bit of smoking some time ago and messed up the console around the ashtry. I went to order a new one and there are two color choices - Classy Gray or Quartz Gray. I guess it would be easier if they said "light gray" or "dark gray" - so the dark gray color I have - anyone know if that is quartz or classy???

I am leaning towards Quartz Gray as some other threads mentioned Quartz as the darker gray...

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 PM
For Life

Thanks guys for the advice. One last thing - I want to replace that center console, you can see the previous owner did a bit of smoking some time ago and messed up the console around the ashtry. I went to order a new one and there are two color choices - Classy Gray or Quartz Gray. I guess it would be easier if they said "light gray" or "dark gray" - so the dark gray color I have - anyone know if that is quartz or classy???

I am leaning towards Quartz Gray as some other threads mentioned Quartz as the darker gray...

Thanks!

are u sure your not the smoker ??
jk if i remeber correctly its on the door jamb as well. some kind of interior code. if not the quartz gray should be the darker one.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
you guys have to see my headunit, i literally just stuck it in place of the stock one with no brackets or anything, you really can't tell that its poorly placed, that is until it falls in when i drive down a steep hill haha. I'll take a picture tonight
Old 08-20-2008, 06:53 PM
SANJOCL

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
mitch id like to see what your trunk looks like when everything is done.....
Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Originally Posted by Germ
mitch id like to see what your trunk looks like when everything is done.....

you and me both, but at least i have everything in and working good so far, might take awhile to get the panel made to make it a false floor though
Old 09-19-2008, 01:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Nice..
Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

I can't wait to take pics of my system to put it on here. I utilized the factory pocket door below my head unit. It looks sweet and looks factory, somewhat.

Stay Tuned...

Quick Reply: new stereo setup...almost all completed