new ignition switch, or dying alternator? (kinda long, please read and respond)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 02:46 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new ignition switch, or dying alternator? (kinda long, please read and respond)

so tonight, im rolling around, and i stop for some liquor. i turn my car off and get that shit, about 4-5 minutes. when i come out and start my car, it starts hella weak, taking a while for the shit to catch and the dash lights dimming, and the motor sounding like its struggling. it starts though, and im like fuck, that sucks. after 3 minutes of driving, i pull over to help some guy whose pushing his car down the road. by the time i pull over and kill the switch, he's in the gas station and cool. so i get back into my car and attempt to start it, and it can't start. the starter picked up and no catch. so again, im like fuck, that sucks. wait 2 more minutestry to start it... nothing. just some clicking from under the hood. about ten minutes later, my boy comes through to give me a jump... nothing, just more clicking. i waited 30 more minutes, and again it starts, but hella weekly. so im thinking, is this the starter, battery, alternator, or maybe that new ignition switch i got 4 days ago? its never happened before. sorry for the long post, please answer. thanks

remember i have a system that puts a lot of strain on the electrical system.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:57 AM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

I'd start with a new battery. If you havnt put one in in the last two years its gotta be the battery

Its one of the cheapest of the solutions and its peace of mind.
Old 09-02-2002, 08:01 AM
Racer

I'm leaning towards the starter... I'm not sure about the ignition switch but if you couldn't get it started by jumping it, it's not the battery or the alternator- unless it's a wiring problem... I'm no mechanic but these are my thoughts...

To be honest, i don't know where our starter is but try hitting it with something if that's what you suspect... That used to work w/ my old cars- 68/74...
Old 09-02-2002, 09:28 AM
What can I get ya?

alot of times its the battery, replace that and that should fix it. If its not the battery, its sounding like the alternator.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:01 AM
Racer

okay, assuming its the battery, how hard is it to get one of those optima batteries installed? do they just drop in, or do i need to get special mounts or something? for the alternator, where do you suggest i gett one, and do they have certain applications, or are they universal? thanks
Old 09-02-2002, 10:42 AM
AkA 'Lucky'

my $.02

go to your local pep boys or auto zone or napa or whatever and have them check the battery, alternator and starter for free!!! they WILL check it for free. and then buy whatever is bad.

same thing just happened to me about 4 weeks ago and it ended up being the battery.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:21 PM
Racer

we did get an ignition recall.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:28 PM
Racer

I had problems with my battery/altinator this weekend. I took it to Napa that those guys were the biggest morons I have ever met. They put some supid gauge on my car, which I believe my volt gauge is more accurate than and they said it looks fine, might just need a charge. The stupid thing wont hold a charge, which I already knew, I was wondering if it was my altinator or the actual battery. I took the car out this afternoon and drove it real hard and very fast for long periods of time out here in the middle of no where Iowa. The green light on the battery still didnt come on. I would have swore there was a better way to test a battery. Im just going to buy a new one and hope that fixes the problem, I cant deal with these townies out here in Iowa.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:06 AM
Racer

shit bro, you're from chicago, surprised you don't have a decent mechanic who isn't a "townie". anyways, im gonna get it checked (or at least explain the problem to my mechanic) tomorrow, and see what's up. since last night, it's been starting fine. but i figure im gonna get a high output alternator, and just replace the battery with a OEM replacement. sounds fine, right?
Old 09-03-2002, 01:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mikeonay
okay, assuming its the battery, how hard is it to get one of those optima batteries installed? do they just drop in, or do i need to get special mounts or something? for the alternator, where do you suggest i gett one, and do they have certain applications, or are they universal? thanks
my Battery went out like 6 omonths ago and i replaced it with a yelloe top optima battery. Its universal and had no probs intalling it. Its strong too. Cranks the car hard. I can play my stereo sytem for like 1 an hour and nothing. It still starts like normal. I know a guy that played his stereo for 3 hours and still started. I think they are the best. The only thing is that the battery tie down doesnt really fit because te battery is smaller in height. So i justhooked it at the bottom of the battery tray. But its no prob. u can rig something to hold it down. That the easy part.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:12 AM
Racer

i went to the optima website and there are a few models of the yellow top battery. which model did you pick up? thanks
Old 09-03-2002, 01:30 AM
Burning Brakes

i have no idea what model it is. the guy told me that its good for car audio so i bought it. I have to check on that later. Ill post it when i find out
Old 09-03-2002, 01:31 AM
Racer

thanks dog