New Clutch!! Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Clutch!! Problems

Alrite i got myself a new clutch!!!! (finally the old one had about 176xxx miles on it.) I got an exedy clutch and pressure plate, a 10lb flywheel and new throwout bearing. Its got about 180 miles on it right now the only problem I have is a rattling sound coming from my clutch fork, which started around 70miles. It rattles when i'm idling or when the car is in gear and the rpms are low. If I push the clutch in just a hair it'll go away. Every now and then it wont rattle but it does most of the time.
Soooo what i'm thinking is:
1> the pedal needs to be adjusted to get rid of any play

2>I didnt bleed the clutch fluid correctly and there could still be an air bubble in the line

3>the slave cylinder is going and not holding the fork tightly enough

4>the throw out bearing is loose or bad

5>the cap on my clutch fluid resevour (cant spell) does leak and that could prevent the system from building up enough pressure-- doubt this though.

thats all i can think of. I havent beat on the clutch at all. I did have a few shakey starts and two stalls when i first started driving it. I'm hoping nothing rattled out of place. I dont think the throw out bearing is bad because its not a clicking noise just a rattling like a bad tensioner on a chevy or something. And the slave cylinder is 10 years old just something to consider. I was just wondering what the AZ team thought you've helped me out alot in the past!

Thanks Guys!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id put my money on the throw out bearing. the rattling probably indicates that one of the ball bearings inside the TOB is bad. You should bleed the system correctly if you think you didnt do it right, I doubt thats the problem though.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Instructor

bump
Old 03-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tron
id put my money on the throw out bearing. the rattling probably indicates that one of the ball bearings inside the TOB is bad. You should bleed the system correctly if you think you didnt do it right, I doubt thats the problem though.
is that the over all conclusion or does anyone else have an idea of what this could be????
Old 03-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Racer

this answer is not going to help out at all but i have the same problem except mine has this noise that sounds more like the timing belt when im at low rpm and when im also idlleing. funny thing is if i step on the clutch like just a tiny bit and that noise dissapears but it comes on after i take my foot off the clutch. This is the first manual car i drove so i dont know if i have to adjust the clutch pedal or what not but it feels like i can step on the clutch like 3/4ths of an inch and thats when i can engage the clutch. I also had a new clutch put in so what your problem is might be the same problem im experiencing. Honestly its annoying but the car is driveable.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Instructor

same exact problem... i think. how long have you had your clutch in??? i havent heard the noise in a few days so im hoping it was just a break in thing. its been almost 200 miles since the noise started.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by <syphers>
same exact problem... i think. how long have you had your clutch in??? i havent heard the noise in a few days so im hoping it was just a break in thing. its been almost 200 miles since the noise started.

I bought the car at the end of dec and the dealer who sold me the car told me they put in a new clutch. I drove it around and it was fine but after a while i can hear the noise consistantly. When i start my car i hear this noise and i let it warm up with my foot on the clutch just a slight bit for about a minute then i let go and the sound dissapears but comes back after a few seconds. I had my cousin whos a mech check it out and he said it should be fine. so i left it alone but its annoying when your cars at a stop and you hear this high pitch sound.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Instructor

yup mine came back i cant stand it im taking it to a mech. see if they can figure it out thank for the help
Old 03-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Racer

no prob...sorry that it wasnt much help but update on how the checkup went.