Need some professional advice on taking turns...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005 | 03:54 PM
Banned

Need some professional advice on taking turns...

Right now, when i head on over to the canyons and some spirited driving (one lane only) i floor it towards a turn, but when the turn comes up, gradually brake into the turn and as i pass the apex, gradually gas it up again...

i've been told there are many ways to take turns, i would like to know which way is the most efficient and allows you to run a faster time on average. mainly, i want to keep as close to my entrance speed as possible, but i dont want to understeer, spin out, shit like that.

if any pros out there *cough* cocoa *cough* could give me a few pointers, that would be great. thanks a lot.
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

for me i usually slow down before the turn from the outside, go toward the apex while keeping the body roll of the car smooth and start gas before i even get to the apex then i catch the outside after the turn. soemthing like that. I aint no pro tho.
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:12 PM
CL 4 LYFE

1) Get up to 125 mph
2) Yank teh E-brake
3) Arm and spray nitrous
4) Steer your way around the turn
5) Don't be afraid to whack the guardrail *The guardrail is there for a reason. Use it if you cannot hang the turn*
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:18 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by ib_jimmy
for me i usually slow down before the turn from the outside, go toward the apex while keeping the body roll of the car smooth and start gas before i even get to the apex then i catch the outside after the turn. soemthing like that. I aint no pro tho.
In more or less words thats pretty much how to do it! But that is using two lanes...

Only doing one lane is pretty much the same only there is a lot more braking involved. And its not gonna be a smooth.
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:19 PM
Banned

in this case.. there isnt really an inside or outside since we do one lane only (too dangerous cuz theres still that 0.0001% chance of oncoming traffic). but i guess that makes sense.. i will try it!

that sounds pretty interest eric.. but i wanted to fin dout how to take turns well without damaging the car . that sounds pretty hardcore tho
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:21 PM
Banned

and i dont think i can brake, then gas it before the apex... i might run into the guardrail O_O

i mean.. taking hairpins, 90's, stuff like that... and the lane is few inches wider than my car lol
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:22 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Another big thing is learning how to use the clutch brake and gas pedal all at the same time. The most important part is to not let your rpms get low. Your supposed to keep your rpms high.
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:23 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by recycledpaper
and i dont think i can brake, then gas it before the apex... i might run into the guardrail O_O

i mean.. taking hairpins, 90's, stuff like that... and the lane is few inches wider than my car lol
if thats the case, use your clutch more!
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:28 PM
Banned

im running auto lol, so its not as much stuff to do =/
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:29 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

ugh! well then use two feet. That way you can still keep your rpms high by using your left foot to brake and your right foot for the gas.
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:30 PM
Banned

^ i was thinking that, but my left foot isnt as sensitive as my right cuz i never used it before to brake.. but iv'e heard its good to learn
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:33 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Your gonna have a lot smoother ride around those corners and your not slamming on your brakes then flooring it. I just would not advise flying around those corners while you are learning two feet. Take your time. Its kind of tricky to get used to. But if you can get yourself used to it, youll be whoopin on a lot of people.
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

first off dont mess around with that turn if its a narrow one lane, you dont wanna learn it the hard way. you dont have to use up 2 lane, you can do it on one wide lane. stay on the outside...start breaking with the car "straight" right before the apex, u only want the car to slow down a lil not roll.
Old 10-25-2005 | 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

oh yeah and dont use 2 feet. urs an automatic...it will hold the gear and RPM will slowly drop but not all the way down. you're gonna be gasing it before it have chance to drop.
Old 10-25-2005 | 05:04 PM
1999 CL3.0

i like D3, i donno about you
Old 10-25-2005 | 05:06 PM
Banned

^ yeah i use d3 all the time up there
Old 10-25-2005 | 09:06 PM
Instructor

ya as for taking the corners... enter high... avoid braking into the turn... brake before turning... release release brake and corner... depending on angle of turn, acceleration point will be different hit apex and exit high
Old 10-25-2005 | 09:11 PM
One custom CL

bro, dont start experimenting. next thing u know ull be looking for fenders and doors on acurazines black market.
Old 10-25-2005 | 09:13 PM
Instructor

^^ hahaha
Old 10-26-2005 | 12:53 PM
fear and Loathing

FWD Drift 1. go into the turn at a speed you can control. 2. at the apex of the turn when u feel the weight shift pull the ebrake, counter steer with left hanf 3. downshift to 1 or 2 (with right hand)depending on speed 4. put ebrake down and rev motor. 5 drop the clutch and counter steer till straigth. i get vidoe perfect drifts with that and its very fun haha

This is my 4th front bumper and the lip was repaired a few times haha all in good fun though, works best on a lowered car caues of the rear camber angle
Old 10-26-2005 | 01:05 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

oh yeah and dont use 2 feet. urs an automatic...it will hold the gear and RPM will slowly drop but not all the way down. you're gonna be gasing it before it have chance to drop.

Thats not always true. It depends a lot on the turn. Your not using two feet just to keep the rpms up. You are keeping power going to the front wheels minimizing understeer or oversteer...
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:04 PM
'07 November = STI

watch initial d religiously.. and try a duct tape death match .. it will fire u right up

i tried drifting once... almost blew my tire off.. but i tried

Old 10-26-2005 | 02:11 PM
Banned

^ lol

not much room for drifting in the one-lane.. but i DID did some e-braking in an empty parking lot with some rx7's, pretty cool man, pretty cool
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:29 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

if you want professional advice, go to an hpde, autocross, or driving school

you won't find it here, i garauntee you that

edit: i hope you're not taking 50% of the "advice" that's being thrown around in here...but i guess it'll be one less "super cool touger" around
Old 10-26-2005 | 02:31 PM
Banned

^ autoX it is!
Old 10-26-2005 | 04:07 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by azian21485
if you want professional advice, go to an hpde, autocross, or driving school

you won't find it here, i garauntee you that

edit: i hope you're not taking 50% of the "advice" that's being thrown around in here...but i guess it'll be one less "super cool touger" around

Since you are telling him not to take any of the advice. Then im sure you know how to drive, why dont you tell us?
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:05 PM
Safety Car

maybee you can try turning the steeringwheel? i fix cars, not drift fwd ones
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:23 PM
No Show All Go

Step 1: Go to Walmart and buy For Sale Sign
Step 2: Place sign in window of CL
Step 3: Go to bank, get loan
Step 4: Buy RWD or AWD
Step 5: Go into corner, down shift, gradually acellerate and turn wheel
Step 6: Wake up in Hospital next to the old lady
Step 7: Pay for repair of old lady's SL 500

I seen it happen. I got some stupid friends with out insurance
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:43 PM
Banned

^ theres a few differences..

i asked how to take turns in a CL, dont really give a shit about AWD or RWD, and just because you have taht doesn't mean you'll turn better, i was behind my friend when he fucked up his Z.

you have stupid friends, i'm not stupid, i dont do stupid shit like and for sure i do not drive without insurance, only a broke bitchass would.

and also, a person's friends say a lot about that person... so you must be pretty stupid yourself if your friends run into sl500's without insurance huh?
Old 10-26-2005 | 11:57 PM
Safety Car

actually his vr4 has aws.. all wheel steering.. and variable ride height suspension. that thing drives like its on rails litterally so im pretty sure that does mean it will turn better.

why u get so mad at homeboy for makin a comment.. i agree with him. you dont have a sports car by any means, i dont know how fast your tryin to go around these turns but if you have to ask for advise on how to turn im gonna assume your going too fast for your caliber car. dogg, be real you have a 4000 lb semi luxury car. pimp that bith out and bragg that you have heated seats and mirrors.
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:01 AM
Banned

^ im not looking to make my car into some sort of mad-handling machine, i just want to make it turn faster. and i thought the car was 3000 pounds, not 4000.
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:19 AM
Safety Car

what ever it weighs it aint ment to be a race car.
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:41 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by recycledpaper
^ autoX it is!
Road course > autocross

Here are some general pointers.

1. Always brake in a straight line.
2. Slow in, quick out -- it's better to enter the turn too slow than too fast. You can compensate by giving it throttle sooner as you exit the corner.
3. Don't lift off the throttle during the turn -- this will put you right out.
4. Try not to brake going into the turn -- trail-braking is a no-no.
5. Always be either on throttle or brake -- don't let your car roll or coast.
6. Gentle steering inputs -- never just flick the steering wheel.
7. Enter wide from the outside, hit the apex, exit wide on the outside, unless there's a consecutive turn.

There are three ways to steer the car -- steering wheel, braking, and throttle. All of these will dictate how the car behaves on the pavement.

Bottom line, all of these bits of advice don't mean squat. Take your car out on a track with an instructor. It usually costs about 100-150 bucks for a day's worth of driving with an instructor.

Real time feedback and real time driving > Advice over the Internet
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:51 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by wilp99
actually his vr4 has aws.. all wheel steering.. and variable ride height suspension. that thing drives like its on rails litterally so im pretty sure that does mean it will turn better.

why u get so mad at homeboy for makin a comment.. i agree with him. you dont have a sports car by any means, i dont know how fast your tryin to go around these turns but if you have to ask for advise on how to turn im gonna assume your going too fast for your caliber car. dogg, be real you have a 4000 lb semi luxury car. pimp that bith out and bragg that you have heated seats and mirrors.
Put an average Joe driver behind the wheel of that VR4, and sure, he will probably post better lap times on a track. But that merely increased the threshold of the vehicle, not the driver skills. Put him back in the original car, and nothing has changed.

By the way, I'm pretty sure my TL is heavier than yours. I was passing modified Type-Rs on the road course in my heavy 4-door sedan. It was never meant to be a sports car, and never will be. But it's not about what the car was meant to be; it's how well you can drive it.

My instructor at the HPDE earlier this year had a relatively stock BMW 318Ti. New rotors (solid, not vented or slotted) and pads, lowering springs and R Comps. His lap times were mere 2 seconds behind those of a race-spec RX-7... and I mean race-spec. (15-turn, 2.23-mile road course, just to give you an idea.) This guy could fucking drive. It's all about the driver; the car only matters to a certain extent.
Old 10-27-2005 | 12:56 AM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

i have.... the drift bible! it tells you everything you need to know...
Old 10-27-2005 | 01:04 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Put an average Joe driver behind the wheel of that VR4, and sure, he will probably post better lap times on a track. But that merely increased the threshold of the vehicle, not the driver skills. Put him back in the original car, and nothing has changed.

By the way, I'm pretty sure my TL is heavier than yours. I was passing modified Type-Rs on the road course in my heavy 4-door sedan. It was never meant to be a sports car, and never will be. But it's not about what the car was meant to be; it's how well you can drive it.

My instructor at the HPDE earlier this year had a relatively stock BMW 318Ti. New rotors (solid, not vented or slotted) and pads, lowering springs and R Comps. His lap times were mere 2 seconds behind those of a race-spec RX-7... and I mean race-spec. (15-turn, 2.23-mile road course, just to give you an idea.) This guy could fucking drive. It's all about the driver; the car only matters to a certain extent.

since when was this ever about me? besides he's talkin bout canions not a closed course track. alot more to loose just to be right. sure your car weighs more than ours but it also has traction control vss and ss mode for the tranny, apples and oranges baby. our cars have nothin.. not even limited slip. ok im sure our cars will make it around the track, great, it still aint meant for it. neither is your tl. im sure you driving the new rl would get better times than your tl. sure its not all about the car and most of it is the driver, but if your on an acura cl forum asking advise on how to take turns, you dont need to be driving past the speed limit on a fawkin mountain. ask then go to a closed course or even some suburban streets. and giving advise on being able to handle your car past its mechanical limits is pretty stupid espeically on a canion road.
Old 10-27-2005 | 01:30 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by wilp99
since when was this ever about me? besides he's talkin bout canions not a closed course track. alot more to loose just to be right. sure your car weighs more than ours but it also has traction control vss and ss mode for the tranny, apples and oranges baby. our cars have nothin.. not even limited slip. ok im sure our cars will make it around the track, great, it still aint meant for it. neither is your tl. im sure you driving the new rl would get better times than your tl. sure its not all about the car and most of it is the driver, but if your on an acura cl forum asking advise on how to take turns, you dont need to be driving past the speed limit on a fawkin mountain. ask then go to a closed course or even some suburban streets. and giving advise on being able to handle your car past its mechanical limits is pretty stupid espeically on a canion road.
When and where did I ever give advice on how to drive beyond the car's limit? All of my advice was on how to do exactly the opposite of that. And never did I tell him to go recklessly fast on a mountain path. In fact, I told him to go to the track with an instructor.

By the way, I wasn't using SportShift at all (my instructor told me to leave it in fully automatic) and the VSA/TCS was turned off. No LSD, either. Just 4 tires and a steering wheel.

Lastly, chill out. I wasn't attacking you or anything. Just trying to have a convo, geez.
Old 10-27-2005 | 01:54 AM
2600lb CL

someone ban me already...
Old 10-27-2005 | 11:41 AM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Since you are telling him not to take any of the advice. Then im sure you know how to drive, why dont you tell us?
lets see:

1) one person (i.e. super cool "tougers") who has no professional experience telling another person how to drive = pointless = what is happening in this forum

2) another person who has extensive experience racing TEACHING on the track how to drive and pointing out his mistakes = learning = my advise

which option would you choose?

i by no means am a professional driver..that's why i'm not trying to tell him how to drive, but telling him how to learn. I pick who i learn from carefully and follow their advice...which is why i'm able to see the look on people's faces when they see a 3000lb underpowered, undertired fwd car take a 1st place trophy home at the end of the day
Old 10-27-2005 | 03:52 PM
Promiscious Boy

lick my turbo diesel

Quick Reply: Need some professional advice on taking turns...