my Tranny and are engine like new again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my Tranny and are engine like new again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude im soo fuckin happy i decided to rip out all the aftermarket shit in my car sorry not talking about performance really just all aftermarket stuff like ditrib cap plugs plugs wires and general matience stuff. My car is freaking the best now.
List of things i replaced
Fuel filter oem
air filter oem
spark plugs oem
wires oem
tranny fluid oem
new oil mobil 1
distrib cap oem
and
rotor oem

My car get the gas mileage of a civic now i just checked my gas mileage i avg 26 and thats with 2/3 of tank being drivin without this all replaced With avg b4 being around 19-20.

Also seafoam i am a believer now my engine got alot quieter now and seems to run smoother.

Also seafoam tranny fluid stuff you all must try it. I did it to my car and i can barely feel the shifts now(automatic) unless i put my foot to the floor but even then it doesnt lursh anymore. I had that stuff running throughout my tranny for like a week and drove around 100 miles. The fluid looked like my oil.
BTW when checked all things replaced were all original from 98.

So all those too scared to put seafoam tranny fluid cleaner you gotta try it also if ppl are scared to put it in the oil use the tranny fluid one it has special lubricants to keep from destroying any seals.

Also idk if many have tried this but my mechanic said dont use seafoam in the oil a easier way to clean out the oil comparment is get 2 oil filters drain oil put 1 on drain tranny and use used tranny fluid in oil turn engine on for 15 min then drain replace with new filter and filler her up with sum good quality oil.

He showed me the b4 an dafter tranny fluid the second time had clumps of black stuff in it. O yea filter out the tranny fluid usin ur old air filter to take out any contaniments.

Srry for long post and o yea my mechanic is a old timer like 65 years old been fixin cars for like 45 years.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:37 PM
smoked by a Focus

Your posts are painful on the eyes-

Good to see your gas mileage increase tho- that shit is getting crazy spendy.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:46 PM
2.4 L iVtec

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sweet
Old 08-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Loose Cannon

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
anyone want to chime in here with more experience on using tranny fluid as temporary lubrication for the purposes of really giving the engine the clean out? is this safe?

Also, i have read up a little bit on the sea foam, what are the pro's / con's on using this seafoam product to clean up your engine and conversely your transmission?

thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 09:38 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what Im thinking is that all that stuff you changed out just hadnt been changed in a really long time... you just needed a good tuneup. congrats on that much.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Banned

I've heard of using ATF fluid in the crankcase. Once I accidently put ATF fluid in my minivan andmy dad called a mechanic to see what we should do and he said it was ok becaue he sometimes uses tranny fluid to clean out the crankcase. the mechanic basically said the same thing that this mechanic said above.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Well good to know my mechanic isnt a crack addict or something lol.

But yea it did seem like all this stuff hadnt been changed in a long time all spark plugs were completly gone for the most part

the wires were orignal as the manufacture date said 1998 and i have a 98 cl3.0

the ditrib cap all the metal connects had major oxidation or whatever that white stuff is called

also fuel filter seemed pretty dirty when i shook it up an dspilled out the gas it had turned black

It mite be cause i put the seafoam in the fuel lines tho idk.

As for the seafoam thing i didnt put original seafoam in tranny it was actually the special tranny seafoam cleaner, which they say u can also put into ur power steering to clean it up,

but my steering turn with my pinky finger so i thought i didn tcare to waste time.

Also as i said i got clumps of stuff i never put the seafoam original into crankcase like reccomended. The mechanic said tranny fluid was better any way plus dat tranny fluid already had the tranny seafoam in it so dat helped clean it out more.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Also the pros and cons of seafoam are

Pros
Really easy to do takes maximum 30 min
According to my mechanic it cleans almost as good as if engine was tacken apart and manuely cleaned he can vouch for it cause he said he tested the product long time ago by takin apart da engine den reassemblying it using seafoam and then disassembling again. Said it looked really clean except areas that had major gunk buildup.

Cons
Possibly cause leaks if u got cracks in your engine which are filled up with gunk if it cleans it out then no gunk to close the gaps from the cracks.

Not as great as a person manuelly cleaning and reborring out engine.

In all pretty good product for price u cant beat it. 7 bux where i live also u get a pretty neat smoke show for like 5-10 mins depending on how dirty ur engine is mine lasted for my drive home after i had run the engine for like 10 mins at da mechanics.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
wtf..

that shit hasn't been changed since 98' wtf r ppl thinkin when they buy cars :shakehead
Old 08-09-2006, 08:08 AM
~[ô¿ô]~

Originally Posted by lcstyle
anyone want to chime in here with more experience on using tranny fluid as temporary lubrication for the purposes of really giving the engine the clean out? is this safe?
thanks

ATF does not contain detergent chemistry. ATF does contain dispersants, which have properties similar to detergents. But ATF is not formulated to withstand the combustion environment inside the engine.

There alot of people who use ATF to clean their crankcase, but you should not use this as lubrication. Since ATF is not formulated for a combustion environment, you can possibly cause damage to your engine (reported cases are out there). There are "engine cleaners" that are forumated to go in the crankcase 10-20 mins prior to a oil change.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by Nakamichi
ATF does not contain detergent chemistry. ATF does contain dispersants, which have properties similar to detergents. But ATF is not formulated to withstand the combustion environment inside the engine.

There alot of people who use ATF to clean their crankcase, but you should not use this as lubrication. Since ATF is not formulated for a combustion environment, you can possibly cause damage to your engine (reported cases are out there). There are "engine cleaners" that are forumated to go in the crankcase 10-20 mins prior to a oil change.
I would never put atf in my crank case, especially used atf
Old 08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Matt

Please explain the seafoam tranny treatment you used. How long did you leave it in b4 draining? How much did you use?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:26 PM
2001 CL-S

Not trying to hate on you mechanic but 65 years ago transmissions were made of nothing but metal. Your CL has many plastic parts and sensors that dont like strong solvents that are in most flushes. IMO would never flush anything on my car. I have had two vechicles with over 250,000 miles on them without a single problem with just serviceing it ON TIME EVERY TIME!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Well i wasnt sure about the atf fluid either but it seems to be running alot better now less vibrations of the car which normaly means the engine is running smoother.

It could be some of the other factors but u cant say anything after seeing the results i did of black junk just draining out of the car aafter only having the atf in der for 15 min i doubt that will destroy your engine unless u actually drivving around like that.

I let my engine idle for 15 min not race it down a speedway.

As for the seafoam stuff i put 3/4 can in the tranny a week b4 flushing it out drove it around normal for that whole week
but tried to make sure to shift into every gear so it can clean all parts out.

Then just refill with honda original atf fluid and your good to go.

Also remeber dont use seafoam original that might be too strong for your tranny get the right stuff.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:18 PM
6th Gear

ok...ok....I've read practically every flush vs. drain thread here and I still don't have a clear picture of what seafoam is.... This thread helps, but is seafoam a flush? Also I have a 98 2.3cl auto with 125,000 miles It was my mom's car and i don't know the last time the fluid has been changed...if ever. *she bought it with like 40,000 miles* The tranny jumps when going from 4th to 5th (O.D.) and around 40-45 MPH it jumps between the two gears hard and stutters and shifts hard. Should I use seafoam? Or just drain and fill? Please help.....Thanks for your input, or should I be savin for a new tranny, *Prices anyone?*

Also, what other maintenance should I do now, plugs were done at around 70,000 miles I think, oil always regularly changed, I just put a K&N in it. But Please let me know what you guys think I should perform for a thorough tune up. I just think it needs it even though I get great MPG and the engine runs good, I think its time and it shifts bad.... =(
Old 08-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Matt

Pleskit: As far as maintenance goes... Dist. cap and rotor are an easy job. 1/2 bottle of seafoam in a quarter of a tank of gas. 1/4 a bottle of seafoam in vac or brake booster line. Both of these will quiet the engine if used properly (search seafoam and read the back of bottle).
As far as the flush or drain argument... your on your own. But I do recomend using the Seafoam tranny (do not put regular seafoam in your tranny!) treatment prior to whatever you decide. Good luck with your new CL!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:57 AM
~[ô¿ô]~

Originally Posted by Pleskit
Also, what other maintenance should I do now, plugs were done at around 70,000 miles I think, oil always regularly changed, I just put a K&N in it. But Please let me know what you guys think I should perform for a thorough tune up. I just think it needs it even though I get great MPG and the engine runs good, I think its time and it shifts bad.... =(
125k?
- Timing belt
- Water pump
- Coolant Flush
(above 3 are mostly done at same time)
- Other belts
- Power Steering Fluid Flush
- Brake Fluid Flush

MPG Related:
- PCV Valve replace
- Seafoam (PCV/brake vacuum, and gas tank)
- Throttle body cleaning

Probably more...
Old 08-13-2006, 12:55 PM
6th Gear

Thanks guys...so, seafoam just cleans out the tranny without flushing it? so its safe as a regular drain and replacement?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Matt

Originally Posted by Pleskit
Thanks guys...so, seafoam just cleans out the tranny without flushing it? so its safe as a regular drain and replacement?
Pleskit... The Seafoam Tranny treatment can be used prior to flush or drain, but not to be left in the transmission for a long time (one week at the most). Just to clarify there are two seafoam treatments one for injectors, and one for tranny.
Also, Im not sure what you mean when you say "so its safe as a regular drain and replacement?" I will assume you know better than to just pour a whole bottle of Seafoam in there and leave it.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Well after reading the seafoam bottle i found they actually reccomend to add sum more seafoam into your new fluid to help it stay cleaner but if i remember write it was only a small amount. And yes its can be used for either a drain and fll or a entire flush better to use it as flush so u can get all the junk out at once instead of sum remaining and floating around in the tranny. Of course if you do a drain and fill that small amount of old fluid wont do anything to adversely affect your tranny. You just got to change your fluid a lil more often then a full flush. Which from my opinion should be done every other change.

Also for the person asking about any othe matience to perform change your fuel filter mine was disgusting after using the seafoam treatment.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:51 AM
friend of fast

how often do u guys change out your spark plugs?
Old 08-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkeeTown
how often do u guys change out your spark plugs?
Every 50K or so