A must read of all newbies

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 11:54 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,171 Likes on 686 Posts
A must read for all newbies

Hey just to help everyone out i decided i would try and post some common newbie questions Feel free to add to it. Thanks to Blxmjx for the idea.

-First off clear corners can be bought from our Vendors in the Sponsored Sales & Group Buy section.

They are very easy to install (look in your owners manual for more help) All you have to do is look for an angled screw on the inside of lens, unscrew it and the lens should pop out. Then change out the bulbs and put the light back in.

-Most '94-'97 Accord parts with fit our car (suspension, indiglos, etc)

-Instructions for the indiglo install can be found here

-Most people will go with the Eibach pro kit for a nice little drop (about 1.5") w/o a camber correction kit. The ride is still nice, according to most, too

-The '94-97 intake will fit the 2.2 CL and the '98 accord intake will fit the 3.0 Everyones main preference is the AEM CAI especially since you can get a bypass value to help prevent hydro lock.

-There is no full body kit made for our car.
Wings West does make a front "Type R" Lip but that is about it. Pics of the lip can be found on their website. You can however mold on a kit from a 94-97 accord. Most '97 accord 2 door side skirts will fit and most people mold on the Wings West Type W kit

-Most of the mesh grills you see on the site are made from gutter guard that you can purchase at Home depot. Instuctions for the '97 CL can be found here You can do one for the 98s and up but i couldnt find the instructions

-The only two wings made for our car are the wingwest type R wing and the stock wing

-The headlight bulbs are 9005 for the high beams and 9006 for the lows. The corners are small push in bulbs or 194s.

I cant really think of anything more at this point but please feel free to correct anything you see or add more.

EDIT: Here is a link that 1stgen wanted: http://www.cl.acurazine.com/forums/show...&threadid=55287 (BTW, this is a post that shows a sportline, approx 2" drop, vs a prokit, approx 1.25" drop.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neuspeed Sport Springs are also good. The Sport's will lower the car about the same as the Eibach Sportline.
Just remember........ when you get springs, you will want to also get struts that are made for the shorter travel. the stock struts will work fine with the ProKit or Neuspeed Spft-Sport springs. EibachSportline, Neuspeed Sport Springs and any other agressive drop spring will reqire new struts.

When you get springs also be aware that they will have higher spring rates and therefore not ride as smooth as stock so be prepared to give up some comfort when you lower your car.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks 1genCL for the addition!

Members!! Please add items to this post today and I will lock tonight....but until then you can post on this post, but only info that you feel is good for newbies to know! DONT ASK QUESTIONS HERE!

If you need something added, ie a link or something, after I make it a sticky, please feel free to send me a private message and I will get it up here. Thanks all!!
Old 12-14-2001, 02:13 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,171 Likes on 686 Posts
Wish i could edit but i thought i would add this link that tells you how to remove the radio from both the '97s and the '98'-99s

-Also the only company that makes headers for the 3.0 is comptech
The 2.2/2.3 uses the 94-97 accord headers without any problems.

-Also just found this thread that shows the different bulb types in the bumper lights and where to get the hard to find blinker bulbs

-For those of you that want to tint your back window, no place really guarantees that the tint will adhere to the dots on the back window. The best solution i found was to have them apply a piece of black vinyl on the inside of the window covering the dots. Looks much nicer than bubbly tint over the "dot matrix" and looks very factory.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:50 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

1stgen,..... kudos on this idea... cant thinkn of anything right now, but i will add if i do... I HOPE THEY READ THIS!!!! Nice work!!
Old 12-16-2001, 08:40 PM
I use a condom?

As far as exhausts go. Basically any 5th Gen Accord (94-97) will fit the 2.2/2.3.

Here are some popular exhausts:
DC Sports
A'PEX Integration
I'm sure there are many more but those are all I can think of off the to of my head. Another option open to us is using a universal muffler and custom piping. Any muffler shop can do the piping but you'll want to ask for mandrel bent which takes the ribs out of the bend. Any muffler will work. I've heard that OBX makes good universal fit ones.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

another addition.....

with a drop that is more than two inches you will also need a camber correction kit. otherwise the 2degrees of negative camber you have will make you go through tires faster than oprah through a krispy kreme factory.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:48 PM
Instructor

In the AV section for newbies (I'm one too..but I just figured it out). First Gen (All of 97, possibly others) CL's have a perfect fit for a Double DIN entry for aftermarket head units.

Got that info from other members and here
Old 12-19-2001, 10:31 AM
Moderator Alumnus

here is a good site to see pictures of CL's other than the gallery. Courtesy of VXCL CL pics
Old 01-24-2002, 08:22 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a general note:

I have a copy of the 1997-1998 Acura Service Manual for the 3.0CL that has a lot of useful info. Please send me a PM, and I will be happy to send you scans of the repair/mod in question.

Also, I have useful info on where to get, how to install, and installation instructions (pics) for the optional fog lights for the 1stGenCL. I will be glad to send you scans. On that same note; all 1stGenCLs are prewired for the OEM fog lights.

The Venom 400 can be purchased here: www.customrim.com

Wood trim kits can be purchased from here: www.autoanything.com

Many of the light bulbs that we use can be found here: BULBS

If you click on my "Fotki" site, then click on "Public Home", you will find instructions on PROGRAMMING YOUR REMOTE; EMISSIONS WARRANTY; and STEREO/AMP WIRING DIAGRAMS.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:26 AM
Moderator Alumnus

opened it back up for additions. will be unstuck again tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2002, 08:01 AM
Midnight Marauder

1. Are clear corners legal?
Yes, They don't have an amber reflector in them and the car doesn't have an amber reflector anywhere else on the bumper.

2. Are Hyper White type bulbs legal for front turn signals?
Yes, any color from amber to white and anything in between are OK.

3. Are Colored (blue, green, red etc.) bulbs legal in front parking and turn signals?
NO. Red makes it look like the front of the car is the rear (ie: nightime driving) blue is the police colors so they'll get you in a heartbeat, all others are illegal too.

Basically:

Hyperwhites are OK. You shouldn't have any problems because of the color. If they are BLUE lights or other COLORS then yeah, they are illegal and you'll stand out so much that cops won't even have to look hard to fill quotas.

Yellow is OK too, takes a little bit more for a cop to think through the process and determine something is wrong if they see yellow or amber bulbs. White attracts attention because there are no other cars on the road with them stock but they are not technically illegal.

What IS illegal is the lack of an amber reflector on the front sides of the car. When you have the stocks on they incorporated the reflector in there. You'll notice that cars that have clear front casings have small plastic reflectors on the side bumpers too.

This is the only issue that is illegal. When you have strange bulbs in them you attract attention and if a cop looks close enough he'll realize what the real violation is.

I have yellows in mine so at night when they shine yellow there's less chance of a cop noticing that they don't REFLECT.

Hope this clarifys.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

per everyones request

edit..... i will copy this thread into the FAQ section as well as the garage section of the form
Old 05-15-2002, 07:57 AM
Advanced

I am definitely one of those "newbies"!!!

This is the best port I've read yet!!! Keep it up!
Old 05-15-2002, 03:49 PM
phuck your CL race my F4

A FEW HELPFUL HINTS: (SOME REPEATED BUT I WILL SAY IT ANYWAY)

-TINT: yes you can tint over the dots on the back window, usually people use a vinyl strip over that first.
-CLEAR LENSES: use this link...http://shop.store.yahoo.com/procarpa...lclearbum.html ...i would buy new bulbs (stock ones suck) either hyper white or yellow or amber for you people worried about the cops, but they are legal.
-GRILLS: everyone usually makes one out of gutter guard or some sheet metal from a hardware store. try and get a 97 grill only because the chrome trim comes off and is easier to install.
-BULB REPLACEMENT: highs-9005, lows-9006, parking-168, signals front-7440, signals back-3496, tails-3496, brake-2057, 3rd brake-7440, license-168, reverse-3497, sidemarker-168, glove-de3021, map-168, dome-de3022, trunk-de3021
-KITS: N O N E, we have the front air dam, some side skirts from wings west, just custom build one like RMSTOICO did.
-RIMS: basically we all have 16-19", stock offset is 48-55, aftermarket rims usually use 42-48, lug pattern is 4x114.3
-tires: for 17x7-215/45
18x7.5-225/40
19x7.5-235/35
tire size will vary depending on your likes.
-SPRINGS: pro kit-1-1.5" drop (no camber kit)
neuspeed sports-1.75/1.5" drop (camber kit needed)
h&r's-1.5" drop (camber prolly)
comptech-1-1.2" drop (no camber kit)
-SHOCKS: tokico blues
kyb agx
koni adjustables
(YOU WILL LOSE SOME LUXURY RIDE WITH ANY SPORT SPRINGS YOU BUY)
-INTAKE: you are better off buying the aem cai, everybody who buys something different usually gets this.
-EXHAUST: there are lots of styles and brands out there:
i.e. greddy, apexi, etc........
-HEADERS: not worth it for the 3.0 $1100 not installed, for the 2.2/2.3 it is cheaper.
-PULLEYS: aem seems like the best bet.
-DEBADGING: use fishing line, they are only held on by double stick tape and then use some adhesive remover to get the glue off. the "A" emblem is held on by 2 screws so there are holes.
-WARRANTY: extended warr. lasts up to 7 yrs or 100,000 miles, cost about $1,000.
-PAINTING CALIPERS: any high temp paint will do, either brush or spray.
-X-DRILLED ROTORS: WWW.AUTOCARPARTS.COM, these help you in braking and stay cooler than regular rotors.

MISC: parts from 94-97 accords fit our cars
some helpful web sites:
www.wheelmax.com
www.whalentire.com
www.procarparts.com
www.autocarparts.com

anybody can pm me or 1gencl if they want to add something, your name will go next to the mod/idea so we dont have to make this thread 15 pages.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

a step by step spring install w/ pictures for the eibach prokit. coutesy of 1StGenCL

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=85210
Old 03-16-2004, 04:23 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Radio removal 98-99

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalAcuraCL1.htm