Molyslip and Restore.. do they work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Molyslip and Restore.. do they work?

Heard that 90% of the oil additives sold at Canadian Tire (the place with the best selection) don't work. Also that the thick ones are just viscosity modifiers that lessen oil burning just because the oil is thicker.. nothing magical about that.

Just put a can of Restore in, during my last oil change. It is supposed to fill in the little scratches in the cylinder walls and thus reduce blowby and oil consumption somewhat. But does it really work?

I did notice that the Restore sank to the bottom of the container when I mixed the oil and additive. I wouldn't expect anything else, mixing something that contains heavy metals and something that contains hydrocarbons. What does it do in my engine though? If it always sinks and it's two phase flow all the time, could it clog my filter or stay at the bottom of the pan? Also read that the heavy metals can poison the catalytic converter if there's burn off.

I thought Moly Slip really did work, I had used it before but nobody sells it anymore. That one is supposed to lessen the surface roughness of metal, visible at a microscopic level. Does this one actually work?