Legal Mods in Ontario, Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007 | 09:54 PM
Drifting

Question Legal Mods in Ontario, Canada?

So after looking at some of the cars you guys have, Im interested in doing some minor mods. I wanna do clear corners, tailight tint and maybe an exhaust. my question to the members: is there any bylaws or laws i should be aware of for lights and noise that will get me ticketed for these mods? is ontario that more strict than the US? Because it seems a lot of ppl have the above, but Im sure their laws must be different. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2007 | 12:19 AM
chips and smokes, lets go

here's a few links i found on another forum

http://forums.vitalmotion.net/police...your-cars.html

http://www.yorkregionsavealife.ca/erase/side.htm
Old 04-27-2007 | 08:21 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

If you're worried about the po po, best advice I can give you if you want those mods, is get the lighter 20% tail light tint, and make sure you put amber bulbs in your clear corners, that way you shouldn't be bothered
Old 04-27-2007 | 09:51 AM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

lol

if it was legal, it wouldnt be cool
Old 04-27-2007 | 11:19 AM
09 TL SH-AWD

If you don't want to be stopped by cops, do not put any kind of aftermarket muffler on. My buddy with the same CL as yours is getting stopped constantly with his. He gets off every time because he is in the army but you might be less fortunate. I roll around in a 01 PDG, dropped with a tint and never ever been stopped for a checkup. Just for speeding sometimes
Old 04-27-2007 | 01:13 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

the best legal mod is a shift knob.. or rims!
Old 04-27-2007 | 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by starboy2nv
lol

if it was legal, it wouldnt be cool
Old 04-27-2007 | 01:22 PM
W WHIP.

A shift knob.
hahaha.

And maybe a debadge, but than again they can pull you over for not knowing what kind of car you have.
Old 04-27-2007 | 02:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by belcom
If you don't want to be stopped by cops, do not put any kind of aftermarket muffler on. My buddy with the same CL as yours is getting stopped constantly with his. He gets off every time because he is in the army but you might be less fortunate. I roll around in a 01 PDG, dropped with a tint and never ever been stopped for a checkup. Just for speeding sometimes
Thats honestly redicoulous....what about all those bikes that are so loud or old muscle cars that come out for the summer, no after market exhaust will be that loud, ever. How legal is your tint?
Old 04-27-2007 | 03:58 PM
Instructor

I'm not in Canada but I my neighbor drove his TL up there with 20% tint and at the border they stopped him for 3 hours and wouldn't let him leave or go to Canada. They eventually let him go but they made it a pain in the ass.
Old 04-27-2007 | 04:38 PM
Amish Country Acura

I think the biggest issues you'll run into are excessive tint or noise. As long as you don't run a straight pipe from your header back to a 5" tipped muffler, you shouldn't have a problem in the noise department (With my 2.2CL, the intake is louder than my exhaust when I'm on the throttle.) As for the tint, check with your local authorities and ask what your area's legal limits are. I know in a lot of the US it's something like 50%, but I've been running 20% on my Celica for months and have yet to get stopped.

Some areas also limit how low your car can be, but most cops are too lazy to actually try and prove that one. It's usually like you have to have a certain number of inches from the ground to the top or bottom of your headlights, but again, you'd have to ask your local authorities for all the restrictions.

Removing safety features is always a bad idea. I had a friend that got nailed a number of times for replacing his steering wheel with a Momo one that didn't have an airbag. The cops in the town I used to live in were jerks though, so that could have been a big factor in those incidents.
Old 04-28-2007 | 08:21 AM
trini to de bone !

Ontario Cops Suck Rooster.
Old 04-28-2007 | 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Andrew Slane
I think the biggest issues you'll run into are excessive tint or noise. As long as you don't run a straight pipe from your header back to a 5" tipped muffler, you shouldn't have a problem in the noise department (With my 2.2CL, the intake is louder than my exhaust when I'm on the throttle.) As for the tint, check with your local authorities and ask what your area's legal limits are. I know in a lot of the US it's something like 50%, but I've been running 20% on my Celica for months and have yet to get stopped.

Some areas also limit how low your car can be, but most cops are too lazy to actually try and prove that one. It's usually like you have to have a certain number of inches from the ground to the top or bottom of your headlights, but again, you'd have to ask your local authorities for all the restrictions.

Removing safety features is always a bad idea. I had a friend that got nailed a number of times for replacing his steering wheel with a Momo one that didn't have an airbag. The cops in the town I used to live in were jerks though, so that could have been a big factor in those incidents.
Around here, tint is the number one thing people get pulled over for, next would be loud exhausts, and non-amber turn signals, etc.
Old 04-28-2007 | 12:13 PM
09 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Dicorp
Thats honestly redicoulous....what about all those bikes that are so loud or old muscle cars that come out for the summer, no after market exhaust will be that loud, ever. How legal is your tint?
front 35%, all rears 20%
Old 04-28-2007 | 02:24 PM
Instructor

The cops here hardly do anything about tint. I have had my tint (15%) for a while and haven't gotten in trouble and everyone I know with illegal tint hasn't even been pulled over.
Old 04-29-2007 | 08:14 AM
W WHIP.

Recently down here cops sat at the local mall and pulled over ANYONE with tint on their front windows and issued tickets no matter what. Like they seriously just sat there and waited.
Old 04-29-2007 | 03:17 PM

who cares about laws, if you really look into any mod they are all illegal in some way..

i say fuck it and do what you want...i know i haven't been payin attention to any law when it comes to my mods
Old 04-29-2007 | 09:19 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by SilverCL97
who cares about laws, if you really look into any mod they are all illegal in some way..

i say fuck it and do what you want...i know i haven't been payin attention to any law when it comes to my mods
As long as I can get shady stickers I'll do whatever I can get away with on my ack, otherwise it aint no fun. I won't violate emissions laws with a test pipe or anything but I try to do as many mods as I can without drawing a lot of attention
Old 06-30-2007 | 12:21 PM
Racer

For tints as was previously stated 35% front and 20% rear; however, they usually aren't too picky. They were doing a seatbelt check on an off ramp one day and I was in my Integra with 20% all around and the cop didn't say anything. If you go darker than legal, the tint shop usually makes you sign some sort of waiver. It's also okay to have the tint strip across the top of your front windshield. As long as the cops can see your face through the side window, I think you're usually fine. Just avoid the Guelph area when they are doing their little crackdowns. A year or so ago they were pulling over any car that looked modified and checking for cut springs and stuff like that! If you lower the car, just don't go too low b/c then you can plow the Rideau Canal and the city streets in the winter to make some extra cash!
Old 06-30-2007 | 03:36 PM
Cruisin'

here in quebec i got pulled once for my big exhaust .. i already got pulled for speeding with my friends teg with jdm front and they gave me an extra ticket as the car dont have amber corners i d say get s performance MUFFLER make sure you run a cat CUZ THEY ALWAYS CHECK that if they pull you for a big shiny exhaust ... for the clear turn signals put amber bulbs in .. as for tinting your taillights , never heard of ppl having probs with that .. im debatched and never got harrassed with that and i think it s a nice easy mod