Just so I'm positive..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the thing is, I spend money on my car because I really do like it, cars are a passionof mine, this is the car I'm learning on. I'm not worried about saving money to buy a new car because I'm going to be a pharmacist, money isnt going to be a real issue, on average a retail pharmacit will get a 3 year contract with a sign on bonus of $25,000, so I'm not worried about saving for another cars. I'm enjoying myself now which is important for me because my major is so stressful. Trust me, I'm not just jumping into this, I have thought out alot of parts of this, and I do plan to get some difference rods and pistons at some point, just not right now. Also, I'm lucky because my family has tons of cars so if mine suddenly breaks, I have the means to till get around, I'll just take a different car lol. I do appreciate you guys pointing out the things that can go wrong, it does make you think things out but I have already weighed alot of the problems that can occur.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by 972xghost
yeaaaa girl power!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:24 PM
AWD Torque Monster

Originally Posted by suprachica79
Well the thing is, I spend money on my car because I really do like it, cars are a passionof mine, this is the car I'm learning on. I'm not worried about saving money to buy a new car because I'm going to be a pharmacist, money isnt going to be a real issue, on average a retail pharmacit will get a 3 year contract with a sign on bonus of $25,000, so I'm not worried about saving for another cars. I'm enjoying myself now which is important for me because my major is so stressful. Trust me, I'm not just jumping into this, I have thought out alot of parts of this, and I do plan to get some difference rods and pistons at some point, just not right now. Also, I'm lucky because my family has tons of cars so if mine suddenly breaks, I have the means to till get around, I'll just take a different car lol. I do appreciate you guys pointing out the things that can go wrong, it does make you think things out but I have already weighed alot of the problems that can occur.
There are alot of dreamers on this forum, well pretty much on every car forum, who in the future will find themselves saying "f@#k" what was I thinking. I could have had xxxxxxx. Problem is by the time they figure it out its too late and the $$$$ is gone.

It think what's important is knowing exactly what your goals are for your car, and MOST IMPORTANTLY how long is it really going to take to achieve them?

I loved my CL and I can tell you right now my mind was set on never selling it, then BAM I sold. Best part was I just waited 4 months for special ordered rays rims and only had them on my car for a month!! I would be pissed right now though if I still had the cl even with a problem free h22/h23 franknstein and not my LGT. Hindsight is 20/20 for realz

Def looking foward to see the end result of your project. Seems like you have some advantages over others, especially being able to borrow a car when yours is down. You will join the ranks of the few who have repped the 1st gen cl right, and prob the first being a girl. Good luck with everything. ETA???

There will always be a special place for my cl, but like I say:
Old 01-16-2007, 03:29 PM
AWD Torque Monster

Originally Posted by Kamikazee
I agree with all of it. I think that people spend money on their car because they have the car now, and buying pieces here and there is easier than saving money for a new car.. and people are loyal to their cars.

I spend 7k on my Integra and over time it more rewarding to wrench and see the difference in the things I added. I know there are better cars I could have bought.. I dunno, it might be an attachment issue.
Totally understand and you are right. But there does come a time where the ends don't justofy the means. I have always done all the work on my cars and it is def something to be proud of. Nothing like having people compliment your hard work.

MY list of things to do to my subie is long, but again i'm thinking about the future. I def plan to get rid of it by 11, so there's only so much I will do because new cars then are going to be sweet. Better interiors, powertrains, gadgets, etc Modding my CL taught me so much. especially the feeling of watching someone drive away with the last 5 years of your work.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Skilled Wreckless Driver

Yeah, sorry about your loss. My integ got stolen too..
Which reminds me, I need to install a fuel cutoff switch.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
Originally Posted by VXCL
especially the feeling of watching someone drive away with the last 5 years of your work.
I think that's the hardest attachment issue about working on your own shit or modding your car is the thought one day your work will all be for nothing or for someone else. That's my fear about making my car a show car, is that one day all that work will just roll away, and most people know I'm probably 20K into this car with no end in sight

But I don't plan on selling, but like Mike said one day the ends outweigh the means, I could have gotten another Trans Am 10 times over by now
Old 01-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Skilled Wreckless Driver

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I think that's the hardest attachment issue about working on your own shit or modding your car is the thought one day your work will all be for nothing or for someone else. That's my fear about making my car a show car, is that one day all that work will just roll away, and most people know I'm probably 20K into this car with no end in sight
Fuel cutoff switch
Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM
AWD Torque Monster

Yeah, sorry about your loss. My integ got stolen too..
Which reminds me, I need to install a fuel cutoff switch.
it didnt get stolen should have worded that better. thank god it didnt becuase no way in hell would insurance have given me 10k for a 97 2.2CL in 2004 and another 3k for my rims and tires. Which in turn would mean no LGT for me!!!!!

With all this Chick power going on in this thread I find it ironic that it was indeed a chick who bought my car. And even weirder is that no one has spotted my old cl since and there's no way it could be mistaken for anyone elses. The Acura-CL.com stickers were on the side rear windows, can't believe she never joined. Maybe she thought the car was done already? ahhaahah I swear its has been crashed or totaled.

there is some dude with alight blue cl with rims and and clear corners i always see in my town. works on a construction site near stop and shop.

peace
Old 01-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Skilled Wreckless Driver

With all this Chick power going on in this thread I find it ironic that it was indeed a chick who bought my car. And even weirder is that no one has spotted my old cl since and there's no way it could be mistaken for anyone elses. The Acura-CL.com stickers were on the side rear windows, can't believe she never joined. Maybe she thought the car was done already? ahhaahah I swear its has been crashed or totaled.
That would be sad. im glad you sold it rather than someone taking off with it. I only spent 7k in my integ, but damn, it was love, sweat and time into it..
Old 01-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Pro

I've been Playing Devil's advocate here. 4 yrs ago I was all for doing the same things you guys speak of. I had everything needed to handle a powertrain upgrade- brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, etc. I was about to do a h22/h23 frankenstien and tranny swap and then it hit me...10k for the car, 2k for the rims, and 4-5k for sweet powertrain...shit thats close to 17k for a new car.

To do just the turbo upgrades you will need alot of parts
turbo, intercooler, piping, injectors, fuel pump, bov, exhaust parts, intake, etc

Thats alot of $$$$$ guys. Not to mention dynos and professional tunes cost $$$$.

Again those the dyno numbers dont matter when it comes to your car. Put the same car on 3 diff dynos and watch how low or high the numbers go. Dynos are tuning tools. Obviously he was making good power, but don't get these numbers stuck in your head. A better idea to see how his setup was performing was to dyno his car b4 the turbo under the same conditions- temp, hum, etc.

You take 20 off each of those numbers and he's running right on par with the other FI f22b1 dynos i've seen, actually a little better due to his turbo. Only difference is he had no problems. I would also worry about your axles becuase lets say you are making 300whp thats about 350ish crank!!! the axles were definitely not made to handle that. All it takes is some good rubber or a sticky road surface on a hard launch and SNAP!

Are you guys going planning on tranny upgrades as well? LSD? 300/300 on a fwd car is going to equal some serious traction issus. Ever drive a new 07 tls? thing torque steers like a mother! i'm pretty sure the f22b1 doesn't have equal length half shafts.

I wish the few who have actually turbo'd their cl would come in here and give advice. If you are interpeting my posts as bashing you for trying then you need to stop being defensive and see I am trying to get you to think about the big idea here. Like i said i'm all for you modding the cl. its a unique car and i'm glad people still try to rep it right. just trying to help you make sure you really have that dedication and know what you're gettin into.

Releazie that now most 1st gen cl owners are young and wasting this kind of money on thier car is not a good idea, especially those in school still. They would be much better off saving it for the next one, but most never stop and think about that. There are some bad ass cars coming out in the next couple years, and some are from HONDA!

Bottom line is
ANY CAR CAN BE MADE FAST WITH $$$$$$
Is it possible to run 12-15 psi on a f22 or f23 ? yes
Is it a good idea on stock internals? no
I don't think any professional shop would disagree
I'm not interpreting your posts as bashing, I really do appreciate your advice. I know exactly what I need to make this project happen and I already have the following: Turbo, manifold, intercooler piping, bov, wastegate, downpipe, dumptube, injectors, chipped ecu with conversion harness, and a bunch of other little things too. I know how much this is going to cost and I've researched and know exactly what parts I still need and tools to get the job done.
I know the numbers put out by dynos depend on a ton of different factors and that it's real purpose is tunability. I don't plan on making 300whp, I was just setting the record straight for what Bryan did with his set-up that Suprachica mentioned. I really don't care what numbers I get from my set-up, as long as it's fun to drive and reliable when it's finished.
Right now I don't have any tranny upgrades in my plans other than a stronger clutch and possibly a flywheel. I know I'll run into traction problems and I'm hoping my upgraded suspension and poly motor mounts will help a little bit. I'm also looking into some custom traction bars that might be available from a different website.
As for me being young, in school and wasting my money on an old car instead of saving for a new one: I love my CL and I get a great deal of satisfaction from the work I put into it. I'm taking mechanical engineering in school and I think it's great that I can apply some of the classroom concepts to a project like this one. I know that I'll learn alot more and be happier with an old turbo CL that I own instead of driving a newer car I wouldn't have money to work on and car payments to deal with. I'm not in debt for school and I wouldn't take on this project if I was.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Burning Brakes

I dont forsee selling this car for a long time, I plan on keping it through college so thats til 2012 and possibly be my winter car after that when I get my supra as my summer car. This is really the car I learn everything on so that when I get my supra, I know the ins and outs of a car and turbo system.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:01 PM
AWD Torque Monster

Originally Posted by Blenz
I'm taking mechanical engineering in school and I think it's great that I can apply some of the classroom concepts to a project like this one.
that definitely explains some things. definitely agree building something your own is much more satisfying then buying something.

there are mexicans and mexicants so i guess you are a mexiCAN. HAHAHAHAHAHA

peace
Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 PM
AWD Torque Monster

I dont forsee selling this car for a long time, I plan on keping it through college so thats til 2012 and possibly be my winter car after that when I get my supra as my summer car. This is really the car I learn everything on so that when I get my supra, I know the ins and outs of a car and turbo system.
Since you plan on keeping the CL that long then GO FOR it. ven if you drop 5 k into it thats only 1 k a year which isnt too bad.

Then a used supra huh? love that ass, but you sure you won't be woo'd by the new supra if it comes out? should be a killer...and with all that loot you spoke about after graduating...

ill want an update in 2012!!!

I just had 4 impacted wisdom teeth pulled about 6 hrs ago so i'm pretty hopped up on vicodin so i'm in a pretty good mood and have nothing else to to but browse the web. i dont normally post this much
Old 01-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Burning Brakes

haha, not a problem, after my hip surgeries I had some large doses of oxycodeine that made me feel pretty good lol. I know if and when a new supra comes out its going to be sick, but I am head over heels for the MKIV's lol. Honestly, If I could have a supra, or a lambo, I'd take the supra. Or i'd take the lambo, sell it, and get a supra lol. I've wanted one since I was 13, I love absolutely everything about the car. It's my dream car lol, and with the profession I'm going into, I'm lucky that the dream will become a reality.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Skilled Wreckless Driver

haha, not a problem, after my hip surgeries I had some large doses of oxycodeine that made me feel pretty good lol. I know if and when a new supra comes out its going to be sick, but I am head over heels for the MKIV's lol. Honestly, If I could have a supra, or a lambo, I'd take the supra. Or i'd take the lambo, sell it, and get a supra lol. I've wanted one since I was 13, I love absolutely everything about the car. It's my dream car lol, and with the profession I'm going into, I'm lucky that the dream will become a reality.

Im in the wrong line of business
Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

haha, yea, pharmacy is very underrated. People don't think that they would make that much money but its awesome. Kids are getting contract offers in march and april before they graduate, retail you can get a starting salary of $100k a year, not bad for right out of college lol. But its 6 incredibly hard years so it weighs out.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:16 PM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running 17-18lbs of boost on a farly small turbo to make over 300/330 at the crank and thats on a 2.5!
peace
gt35r or nothing
Old 01-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
Fuel cutoff switch
No I meant if I ever sold it
Old 01-16-2007, 09:29 PM
AWD Torque Monster

Originally Posted by AznX TL
gt35r or nothing
there are already a handful of people over on the lgt forums running rotated gt35r or gt30r setups and at least one is a wagon. talk about sleeper!

I'm prob going to end up going a custom twin scroll thats in the works once my warrenty is up. More then enough to get me into trouble, but not too much that reliabilty becomes an issue. This is my only car, so it need to drive my baby sister around when needed or get to grandma's house, but most importantly be smooth and quiet for the ladies

BACK TO FI f22s
Old 01-16-2007, 09:34 PM
AWD Torque Monster

haha, yea, pharmacy is very underrated. People don't think that they would make that much money but its awesome. Kids are getting contract offers in march and april before they graduate, retail you can get a starting salary of $100k a year, not bad for right out of college lol. But its 6 incredibly hard years so it weighs out.
nothing to do with FI f2.xs, but your going to amazed how much you grow up over the next 4 years, espeically the first year out of college. I look back sometimes and say wtf! how did i get here!!! I was sleeping in class 2 years ago!

seriously back to the FI f22s

this thread needs some pics now. all this typying...
Old 01-16-2007, 09:38 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts

pics FTW
Old 01-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

I keep seeing turbo manifolds for f23's that say they fit f22's as well with the uneven port spacing, I don't know but I keep seeing that they fit eachother..
Old 01-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
are you guys positive they dont fit. ive been told many times that F22B to F23A manifolds are interchangable but F22A's arent.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

yea, I'm starting to think that the f22b and f23 are interchangeable as well. It would be very helpful to know.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Banned

just to clear things up.........f23 mani will fit. 4cyl cl's cant use the type s cams. F22b1 will hold 305 peak hp before major issues start occuring due to overboosting. the F22b1 on 11 pounds is daily with a good tune. Thats all folks
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Suzuka Master

theres the verdict. i knew they would fit.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Pro

Well shit, it turns out I was wrong about the manifold. The F23, F22b1 and F22b2 manifolds are all interchangable. Sorry about the bad information
As for some pictures, here are a few of Brian's set-up that is now sitting in my garage:

Old 01-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Suzuka Master

X
X
X
X
Old 01-17-2007, 01:05 AM
Pro

Well let me try this again...

Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 AM
4x4- fat chicks cant jump

sexy
Old 01-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Burning Brakes

that mani looks great. Well that sucks about the f23 mani cuz I could have gotten a sick deal on one, but its sold already. O well. Hey, what gauges do you guys suggest I use with the boost? I was the boost p/h/w, oil pressure, air/fuel, and someone told me to get water temp too but I'm running out of room for gauges lol, should I just scratch the water temp gauge?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:05 AM
AWD Torque Monster

Well shit, it turns out I was wrong about the manifold. The F23, F22b1 and F22b2 manifolds are all interchangable. Sorry about the bad information
As for some pictures, here are a few of Brian's set-up that is now sitting in my garage:

i didnt realize your question hasn't been answered. back in the day people modified turbo manifolds off an eclispse.

you can order a header from say dc sports for a f23 of f22 and it bolts up perfect. The issue is that the 94-97 accord ex the header is shorter and then a separate piece goes in between the header and the car. the 98 f23s header is longer and elimanats that piece. so basically if you have a 98 dont order 94-94, but 94-97 could use any.

peace
Old 01-17-2007, 02:07 AM
AWD Torque Monster

clean turbo install. weird seeing a turbo on an i4 instead of a h4 everything is so different.

although were the hell is the aftermarket ignition and coil hiding? seems like a stock cap and def stock wires.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:14 AM
AWD Torque Monster

that mani looks great. Well that sucks about the f23 mani cuz I could have gotten a sick deal on one, but its sold already. O well. Hey, what gauges do you guys suggest I use with the boost? I was the boost p/h/w, oil pressure, air/fuel, and someone told me to get water temp too but I'm running out of room for gauges lol, should I just scratch the water temp gauge?
if you have to limit your gauges i would say boost, egt, oil pressure, wideband a/f, the oem engine temp guage is good enough to know if your car is running hotter then normal. the others are much more important especially egt. dead give away if your overboosting, spiking, etc
Old 01-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

dont sleep on that.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Skilled Wreckless Driver

That looks fun.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

I think I'm just gunna do oil pressure, a/f, and boost for now, maybe get egt later on down the line. I'm going to get glowshift gauges for the A/F and oil pressure and a good greddy or hks gauge for the boost P/H/W
Old 01-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Skilled Wreckless Driver

Make it pretty
Old 01-17-2007, 02:17 PM
AWD Torque Monster

i want the delfi bf guages so bad but $$$$$$. They also match my dash perfectly. I just hook my laptop to my ecu to monitor the engine and log runs. I can't get egt readings though becuase I removed the sensor from the turbo up pipe as a safety issue. might reinstall it in my down pipe perhaps.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Banned

hey superchica, just curious if those ambers were mailed. Thanks...my PMS dont work for some reason.

Quick Reply: Just so I'm positive..