instructions on putting on gauges!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 04:08 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instructions on putting on gauges!!!!

i just got some reverse gauges, i don't want to screw anything up so if anyone can give me some tips on what i need in opder to complete the job properly...

thanks

jeeks

i got a 2.2
Old 10-12-2001, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by WineRed2.2CL:
<STRONG>i just got some reverse gauges, i don't want to screw anything up so if anyone can give me some tips on what i need in opder to complete the job properly...

thanks

jeeks

Just do a search on gauges. There are lot of instructions that have already been posted.
i got a 2.2</STRONG>
Old 10-12-2001, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by WineRed2.2CL:
<STRONG>i just got some reverse gauges, i don't want to screw anything up so if anyone can give me some tips on what i need in opder to complete the job properly...

thanks

jeeks

i got a 2.2</STRONG>
Where did you get them. Are they the ones that light up red and blue? If you have any pics or know where I can get them please post.
Old 10-13-2001, 08:14 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,170 Likes on 685 Posts
Yeah do a search i know i have posted instructions once or twice. Not to hard to do at all Good luck
Old 10-13-2001, 03:59 PM
i like chicken

do a search in my username, i posted a very imformative thread on how to remove and install gauges. good luck.
Old 10-13-2001, 10:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Gage Install

FIRST, Take off all the molding around the steering column. there are screws underneath. easy.

NEXT, The cruise button and the dimmer need to come out. use the smallest flathead you have and pry it between the molding and the button housing. there are 2 prongs on the top and bottom of these housings that bend in and clip when it is installed so you need to work at getting these to bend in to pull the housing out. unplug them.

THEN, there are 4 screws for the black frame housing that covers the plexi, 2 on top and 2 you will find in those openings where you took out the switches. you will need a long philips head to get these out.

THEN,slide the housing over the wheel (put the wheel all the way down).

THEN,to get the gauge cluster out, remove all the screws holding it in, and also remove the steel frame on the top of it. you cant get it out without removing this stupid little frame. there are 3 or 4 plugs on top of the cluster that you need to unplug, and dont worry you dont to mark them they only fit their respective holes.

NEXT, remove the plexi from the cluster by removing the clips that hold it on. very easy.

THEN. once the cluster is out and the plexi is off, install the gauges by removing the screws on the old gauges. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE NEEDLES, THEY DONT COME OFF... YOU WILL BREAK YOUR NEEDLE ROD CLEAN OFF.

slide the gauge hole over the long part of the needle, then bend the gauge down and slide it over the back of the needle. BE CAREFUL!

VERY IMPORTANT STEP: remove the bulbs in the back of the cluster directly behind the gauges. You dont need these anymore and the lights will have a blue plastic around them that you can use for really neat interior lighting! (wow!) also, these lights might be bright enough to shine thru the new gauges, im not sure, but better safe than sorry! Leave the 2 behind the speedometer so you can see the odometer if!!!!!!

are 2 wires out of the transformer for the indiglos. a power and a ground. but first put everything back except the black housing piece that goes in front of the plexi. make sure your new gauge wires are off to the right and can be pulled through the hole where the dimmer switch goes.

there are 3 wires that run into the back of the dimmer harness. run the power into either red wire (both work) that goes into the back of the dimmer harness, and the black into the black wire on the harness.

put everything back