ideal suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 10:59 AM
~ The Endless One ~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ideal suspension setup?

I like the ride comfort of my stock suspension. I just want to lower it without sacrificing too much comfort. Don't really care for performance since I accepted that my car isn't a sports car, but instead a cruiser. Can I just keep my stock shocks and throw on a decent set of springs? And for springs, would you recommend Eibachs, Neuspeeds, Teins? I will also be throwing on 18"s after winter. Help.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:03 PM
a jawful a somethin awful

To keep stock shocks you won't be able to lower it more than 2".
I have Eibach pro kits (1.3" i think)and I love the way they ride. and no need for
camber kit. I think the difference is noticable(looks, ride) but still cumfy
Old 11-07-2004, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sumdumguy
To keep stock shocks you won't be able to lower it more than 2".
I have Eibach pro kits (1.3" i think)and I love the way they ride. and no need for
camber kit. I think the difference is noticable(looks, ride) but still cumfy
Agreed!!!
Old 11-07-2004, 12:45 PM
~ The Endless One ~

yea i was thinking of 1.5" drop...would that look good with 18s?

how much did the eibach's cost? i heard they sag after time...
Old 11-07-2004, 01:13 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
neuspeed drops it 1.75 in the front, and 1.5 in the rear. I think they costed me like 135 shipped brand new.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

so with the Eibach pro kit, you don't have to change the stock shocks?
Old 11-07-2004, 01:26 PM
~ The Endless One ~

so with either u don't need a camber kit right?
Old 11-07-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by VB87
so with the Eibach pro kit, you don't have to change the stock shocks?
nope .
endless...they don't sag after a while. eibach gaurantees that. and I'm not positive about
the 1.7" drop if you'll need a camber kit.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:34 PM
~ The Endless One ~

i only wanna go 1.5"
Old 11-07-2004, 02:39 PM

then I think your set. and I think you can get some for anywhere from $180
to $225. depends where you get em. I got mine on ebay...$177+shipping
Old 11-07-2004, 03:08 PM
~ The Endless One ~

i can get Teins for $200 CDN over here...

they're not Tein SS tho and i doubt i will need anything that nice for my application...
Old 11-07-2004, 04:31 PM

so what's that......like ten bucks US?

j/k
Old 11-07-2004, 04:37 PM
What can I get ya?

Originally Posted by endlessdragon
so with either u don't need a camber kit right?

Alot of times you wont, but there are exceptions. Also, if you are thinking about getting shocks, or worried that you may have to replace them sometime soon- I would just do it with the spring installation. Labor is expensive, do them both at the same time.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:19 PM
2.2CL owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by moforose3.0
Alot of times you wont, but there are exceptions. Also, if you are thinking about getting shocks, or worried that you may have to replace them sometime soon- I would just do it with the spring installation. Labor is expensive, do them both at the same time.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:43 AM
~ The Endless One ~

how much do camber kits go for? aren't they expen$ive?
Old 11-08-2004, 11:00 AM

I think like $250. but I don't think they make them for the back.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Power of Dreams

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless the aftermarket springs are the same length and same spring rate, you should upgrade your shocks. Since obviously lowering springs are not, I suggest you look into matching a new set of springs with shocks to handle the lowered ride height and increased spring rates safely.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Banned

I say just cut the shit out of them, and then wrap em in bubble gum and soak em in Elmers Glue (to help with bouncing). Fuck it man, dont spend any money.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:47 PM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

heres the deal guys.........{pre note: every car is different so you should get an alignment and talk to the technitian about camber kits anyway} BUT, if you do prokits (1.5" drop that doesnt sag) you wont need a camber kit..... stock shocks will work but an aftermarket shock is always better... nuespeed or eibach sportline (1.7" or lower) will need a camber kit.... they do make camber kits for the back that are pretty expensive.... more than likely you wont need camber in the back as itll be within (or really close to) stock spec's..... that should answer everything

oh- prices---

eibach proki or sportlines or nuespeeds or whatever (springs in general)
used- which doesnt matter cause springs are fine new or used- 100 bucks
new- about 200

shocks- kyb agx / tokico adj- 300 for all 4
by them new, cause then youve got lifetime warranty

ingalls camber kit- about 200, used 100- also doesnt matter, new or used.... urathane bushing last a longgg time......

labor- dont know, did it all myself.... very easy to do, but i wouldnt pay more than 300 to have all of it installed.... and definetly do it all at once if you plan on paying someone.... and again. get an alignment about 2 weeks after you install (if all your stuff is new) cause they will sag a bit and "settle".... so wait till its settled and get an alignment.....
Old 11-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
they got a pro kit on ebay right now for like 80 bucks i think. its used, but i bought mine used and they were basically almost brand new, no problems. definitely check out ebay, i saw a lot of pro kits for sale, new and used.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by d5c5b
heres the deal guys.........{pre note: every car is different so you should get an alignment and talk to the technitian about camber kits anyway} BUT, if you do prokits (1.5" drop that doesnt sag) you wont need a camber kit..... stock shocks will work but an aftermarket shock is always better... nuespeed or eibach sportline (1.7" or lower) will need a camber kit.... they do make camber kits for the back that are pretty expensive.... more than likely you wont need camber in the back as itll be within (or really close to) stock spec's..... that should answer everything

oh- prices---

eibach proki or sportlines or nuespeeds or whatever (springs in general)
used- which doesnt matter cause springs are fine new or used- 100 bucks
new- about 200

shocks- kyb agx / tokico adj- 300 for all 4
by them new, cause then youve got lifetime warranty

ingalls camber kit- about 200, used 100- also doesnt matter, new or used.... urathane bushing last a longgg time......

labor- dont know, did it all myself.... very easy to do, but i wouldnt pay more than 300 to have all of it installed.... and definetly do it all at once if you plan on paying someone.... and again. get an alignment about 2 weeks after you install (if all your stuff is new) cause they will sag a bit and "settle".... so wait till its settled and get an alignment.....

i got a question about tokicos lifetime warranty. what does it cover? if the shocks die, they replace them? or if they malfunction only?
Old 11-08-2004, 01:47 PM
DOOKS of hazard!!!!

no, theyll replace em.... except youve gotta take em out.... chill with your car on blocks untill the new ones come and then put em in.... and how bad does that suck?! bad!
Old 11-08-2004, 04:16 PM
xxx
Racer

I hope your not in a rush for the springs. I'm definitely goin back to Seattle next weekend on Nov 19. So i'll bring my EIBACH's back to Van city. We can hook up during that week if you want them.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:00 PM
~ The Endless One ~

sounds good
Old 11-09-2004, 01:39 PM
The movement has started

TEIN SS do it right the 1st time.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:57 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

for the price of tein ss you can do alot better the first time
Old 11-09-2004, 08:02 PM
The movement has started

Originally Posted by azian21485
for the price of tein ss you can do alot better the first time
I've been through 3 different suspension setup's, and if I could of done it all over again, I would of went with the tein's in the 1st place.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Atl/Mia reppin'

same here - i love my Teins - but I'm also sure for the price you must be able to find something else just as nice/better. And I have an awful squeak from one of my poly bushings in my front right camber kit - annoying as hell
Old 11-09-2004, 08:46 PM
The movement has started

Originally Posted by ATLcl98
same here - i love my Teins - but I'm also sure for the price you must be able to find something else just as nice/better. And I have an awful squeak from one of my poly bushings in my front right camber kit - annoying as hell
Should of bought the rubber one's, they dont squeak at all.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:09 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
If I had my option (I've gone through probably 8 or so different suspension setups) to do it all over

It'd be the teins, but i'd have them make a custom spring rate to make up for the added weight of the CL over the accord.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:13 PM
The movement has started

Originally Posted by CLpower
If I had my option (I've gone through probably 8 or so different suspension setups) to do it all over

It'd be the teins, but i'd have them make a custom spring rate to make up for the added weight of the CL over the accord.
Yup, that be the ultimate way to go, all you would need is 14kg/mm 12kg/mm.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:31 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

Originally Posted by baka_t
I've been through 3 different suspension setup's, and if I could of done it all over again, I would of went with the tein's in the 1st place.
what other types of setups have you been through..asking clpower also

Yup, that be the ultimate way to go, all you would need is 14kg/mm 12kg/mm
going this route forces you to get the shocks revalved and this starts adding up to even alot better options than the ss setup
Old 11-09-2004, 09:38 PM
The movement has started

what other types of setups have you been through..asking clpower also

going this route forces you to get the shocks revalved and this starts adding up to even alot better options than the ss setup
I've had prokits, skunk2 sleve coilovers with kyb shocks, and my current setup, lightspeed springs (same as sportline drop wise) with kyb shocks on 4/8 dampening.

No need to get the strut body revalved, because the travel will be better with the higher spring rates.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:44 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Skunk2 sleeves, GC sleeves, Apexi WS, nuespeeds, Suspension Technique Speed Techs, progress, pro kits (my favorite), and now sportlines (prokit wasn't low enough for me)
Old 11-09-2004, 10:11 PM
7-30-05 First Place STS!

even though you guys went through a bunch of setups you guys were still either using coilover sleeves with bad shocks or sport springs..comparing this with tein ss is a landslide so i'm not surprised with your opinions..but there are better setups out there

first one that comes to mind is koni yellows + ground control (or any coilover with proper spring perch) with custom rates from either hypercoil or eibach ers (eibach already comes with ground control)...proven setup in anything from autocross to road racing

I've had prokits, skunk2 sleve coilovers with kyb shocks, and my current setup, lightspeed springs (same as sportline drop wise) with kyb shocks on 4/8 dampening.

No need to get the strut body revalved, because the travel will be better with the higher spring rates.
there's alot more to proper shock setup than travel. Ever use high spring rates on a stock shock? it'll bounce like crazy. why? because the shock isn't correclty valved to dampen the spring rates. The pressure inside the shock can't slow down the piston with enough force to prevent the spring from oscillating. running too high of a spring rate on a shock will have this effect. I remember reading on tein's website that the highest the front rates can go is 8k and rear is 6 k or something like that but don't quote me this is all from my poor memory

if you are really worried about travel and the shock bottoming out, get the shocks shortened for more travel

i'm just speaking from my general knowledge..if you're running those rates (which are pretty high rates..i'm running 10k front and 12k rear...this is way overkill for a street driven car but i take the scrafice for autocrossing) and aren't having any problems, then by all means keep the setup...most off the shelf shocks will need to be revalved to run 14k rates including koni yellows (although a trusted rep said they can handle up to 1000lb spring rates but for how long? no one knows =) )
Old 11-09-2004, 10:27 PM
The movement has started

even though you guys went through a bunch of setups you guys were still either using coilover sleeves with bad shocks or sport springs..comparing this with tein ss is a landslide so i'm not surprised with your opinions..but there are better setups out there

first one that comes to mind is koni yellows + ground control (or any coilover with proper spring perch) with custom rates from either hypercoil or eibach ers (eibach already comes with ground control)...proven setup in anything from autocross to road racing

there's alot more to proper shock setup than travel. Ever use high spring rates on a stock shock? it'll bounce like crazy. why? because the shock isn't correclty valved to dampen the spring rates. The pressure inside the shock can't slow down the piston with enough force to prevent the spring from oscillating. running too high of a spring rate on a shock will have this effect. I remember reading on tein's website that the highest the front rates can go is 8k and rear is 6 k or something like that but don't quote me this is all from my poor memory

if you are really worried about travel and the shock bottoming out, get the shocks shortened for more travel

i'm just speaking from my general knowledge..if you're running those rates (which are pretty high rates..i'm running 10k front and 12k rear...this is way overkill for a street driven car but i take the scrafice for autocrossing) and aren't having any problems, then by all means keep the setup...most off the shelf shocks will need to be revalved to run 14k rates including koni yellows (although a trusted rep said they can handle up to 1000lb spring rates but for how long? no one knows =) )
Ok thinking that you were a roadracer, and figuring you were going to state that you had gc's and koni's which most of autocross guys ect run. Thats pretty much all they run. I would take any strutbody/full coilover suspension compared to the ground control coilovers/koni's. The TEIN RA suspsension kicks the shit out of any gc/koni setup even if revavaled. Koni's valving does not allow enough adjustability to compete with the tein setup. Also there are hks, kei office, JIC majic, ect that will kill any custom eibach/koni setup.

I remember reading on tein's website that the highest the front rates can go is 8k and rear is 6 k or something like that but don't quote me this is all from my poor memory
If this is true, why are the R/A setups running 1000lbs/800lbs.

Also, you setup makes no sence, being that the cl's weight distrobution is more frontal heavy, but you are running the higher rate springs in the rear.

Kyb's are not bad shocks, heck their made by koni, which your ranting and raving about.

I hope if your this serious about your suspension, you upgraded your sway bars, and fully braced all the towers, and lower tie. If not, your suspension setup is worthless.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:32 PM
CL 4 LYFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My $150 Racer Design coilover sleeves blows all compitition.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:41 PM
teh Senior Instigator

)

Had koni's w/ GC's that were spec'd for my car. Was back in 99 when they were new. Didn't like them. Handled good, not the best, car drove rough.

Autocross and road racing isn't what we are all about. Driveability and comfort is also a big concern of mine, and that's comming from someone w/ a 3.0 and sportlines.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:42 PM
teh Senior Instigator

and w/ baka
Old 11-09-2004, 10:44 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Originally Posted by baka_t
Also, you setup makes no sence, being that the cl's weight distrobution is more frontal heavy, but you are running the higher rate springs in the rear.

I had this discussion w/ him earlier. higher in the rear helps bring the back end around and prevents understeer.

Quick Reply: ideal suspension setup?