How would you turn your CL into an AMG Machine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005 | 08:50 PM
CL 4 LYFE

Originally Posted by ajtcl
Zerostatic, Insyone, You guys keep fighting the good fight.

One reads this forum could almost be of the opinion that the rest of you who have responded to this thread hate your cars. I know we have some transmission issues, but all-in-all, the CL is a great automive platform on which to sound your individuality. The reason for this is the lack of aftermarket support forces a certain amount of enginuity and creativity.
They think it's waste of time spending large ammounts of money into the CL. I say it's true, only if you don't appreciate and understand what you can do to your car. I'm saying you can upgrade parts of the car for the better. Those who think otherwise, don't assume that it's going to be a super car or anything like that. It's not. But if upgraded correctly, it would benifit your car to an good enough extent. The one's who are actually putting in effort and hard work into their cars are the one's that gain the tuning/building experiences. And it's with experience you become a more knowledgable person.
Old 04-11-2005 | 10:36 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Ah-men. That is the best thing I've read all night. Thank you for setting the record straight. I love the CL. It is eligant, that is why I bought mine.

Oh well, I got to sleep, you all take care.
Old 04-11-2005 | 10:49 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by lnsyone
I am making something out of my CL. I can see where spending tens of thousands of dollars on their cars wouldn't be as reasonable as a buying another car that is worth the money. Honestly, it is a waste of money if you spend large ammounts of money into a car that you don't appreciate. The reason why I am spending thousands of dollars into my CL is because it is my project. On top of that, it's the car I had chosen to drive. If I wanted a "performance" type car, I would've gotten one a long time ago. You see building a car isn't necessarily just to show off the hard work that has been put into it. However, it's the knowledge you gain from all the work done, that makes a difference. And that is what a enthusiast/tuner is. I could've bought an M3 or an FD a long time ago, but I have always had a passion for Honda/Acura tuning. Thus that is the reason why I picked one up. I don't care if they're not true sports cars, because they aren't, and that's the reason why I love it. I find it nice to see heavily modified sport compacts competing with true sports cars out there. The people who build those machines are hardcore enthusiasts that share one common goal altogether, and that is to put their projects to it's maximum potential. Trust me, just because they're tuning a 4cyl powerplant, that doesn't restrict them to only 4cyl motors. They build it because they want to see what a 4cyl can do. People build cars because they want to see their cars perform/look to their maximum potential.
Your response proves my point to a certain extent. The thread creator seems to want to dump 35k into a car in order to "show off" as you put it, for people on car forums and at car shows. Also, he has no "passion for Honda/Acura tuning" as far as he stated in his first post saying, "In my opinion, the pinnacle of true luxury sports coupes are the Mercedes CL and CLK series (particularly the AMG). So if you were trying to replicate those cars..." It has nothing to do with being a projecct for him as far as I can tell by reading his posts.
Old 04-11-2005 | 10:51 PM
CL 4 LYFE

Originally Posted by LLWesMan
Your response proves my point to a certain extent. The thread creator seems to want to dump 35k into a car in order to "show off" as you put it, for people on car forums and at car shows. Also, he has no "passion for Honda/Acura tuning" as far as he stated in his first post saying, "In my opinion, the pinnacle of true luxury sports coupes are the Mercedes CL and CLK series (particularly the AMG). So if you were trying to replicate those cars..." It has nothing to do with being a projecct for him as far as I can tell by reading his posts.
I didn't reflect my posts in regards to the title of this thread. I am defining a true enthusiast.
Old 04-11-2005 | 10:53 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

They think it's waste of time spending large ammounts of money into the CL. I say it's true, only if you don't appreciate and understand what you can do to your car. I'm saying you can upgrade parts of the car for the better. Those who think otherwise, don't assume that it's going to be a super car or anything like that. It's not. But if upgraded correctly, it would benifit your car to an good enough extent. The one's who are actually putting in effort and hard work into their cars are the one's that gain the tuning/building experiences. And it's with experience you become a more knowledgable person.
Believe me, I both appreciate and understand what can be done to ANY car. However, that doesn't mean that I'm going to spend $35,000 upgrading an Acura CL. If I wanted the learning experience I would go take a class or work in a shop. Also, plenty of people who have spoken in this thread have spent countless hours working on their CL, don't just write them all off as people who don't put in effort and hard work in modding their cars.
Old 04-11-2005 | 10:53 PM
CL 4 LYFE

I did find it silly however, to compare an AMG to our CL's.
Old 04-11-2005 | 10:55 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

I didn't reflect my posts in regards to the title of this thread. I am defining a true enthusiast.
My points were in reference to the creator of this thread and his sentiments.
Old 04-11-2005 | 11:10 PM
CL 4 LYFE

Believe me, I both appreciate and understand what can be done to ANY car. However, that doesn't mean that I'm going to spend $35,000 upgrading an Acura CL. If I wanted the learning experience I would go take a class or work in a shop. Also, plenty of people who have spoken in this thread have spent countless hours working on their CL, don't just write them all off as people who don't put in effort and hard work in modding their cars.
Whom in specific had I mentioned that they hadnt put hard work into their cars? Don't get shit twisted. I said those who put in effort and hard work into their cars deserve the credit.

True, you could learn things from a class or by working at a shop. But to learn things on your own, without such sources is something to definitely be proud of.

2 completely different point of views, yet both are understandable.
Old 04-11-2005 | 11:10 PM
CL 4 LYFE

My points were in reference to the creator of this thread and his sentiments.
Then why quote me?
Old 04-11-2005 | 11:11 PM
CL 4 LYFE

Never mind. I read your response.
Old 04-12-2005 | 12:54 AM
100% Dominicano

aww man, if I knew what I was getting myself into. Anyways, my downfall was mentioning AMG in the title. Guys, I wasn't trying to give a plan to turn a CL into an AMG wannabe, despite what the thread title implies. I was merely mentioned AMG because imo the best stock luxury coupes are mercedes AMG coupes. I only looked at them for inspiration not as a blueprint.

One thing though that I do not appreciate is LLWesMan's attempts to belittle me. Dude, take a f*cking chill pill, no need to call me an idiot, you don't know anything about my intellectual capacity to be making that statement.

For anybody who had thoughts about doing big things with their CL but had some of their dreams weakened by the various points posted on this thread . . . .

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe." - Anatole France
Old 04-12-2005 | 01:22 AM
CL 4 LYFE

Originally Posted by Zerostatic
aww man, if I knew what I was getting myself into. Anyways, my downfall was mentioning AMG in the title. Guys, I wasn't trying to give a plan to turn a CL into an AMG wannabe, despite what the thread title implies. I was merely mentioned AMG because imo the best stock luxury coupes are mercedes AMG coupes. I only looked at them for inspiration not as a blueprint.
I know what you mean, dude.

For anybody who had thoughts about doing big things with their CL but had some of their dreams weakened by the various points posted on this thread . . . .

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe." - Anatole France
Don't be discouraged by somebody elses opinion. You must move foward and proceed to succeed.

To those who dream; those that build; those that work hard on their cars, I give you all props. That is what I want to see in this forum. Builders; innovators; pioneers; technical information; and constructive conversations. I highly respect those who shed their cars blood, sweat and tears. Also those who are commited to their project and their work.
Old 04-12-2005 | 01:27 AM
CL 4 LYFE

Anyone can go ahead and buy another car. But for someone to build their car to their own customization is a different story because you have gone the extra mile to share and appreciate what you have and what it has become.
Old 04-12-2005 | 02:35 AM
Ahhhhhhhh

One thing though that I do not appreciate is LLWesMan's attempts to belittle me. Dude, take a f*cking chill pill, no need to call me an idiot, you don't know anything about my intellectual capacity to be making that statement.
I wasn't "attempting to belittle" you. I responded to a couple of things you said that's all. You made a comment and it completely contradicted what you had initially said and then you followed by saying to the people who didn't agree with you that they "suck." If you aren't willing to have your ideas and questions responded to and debated then don't post them. Thats what happens on forums.
Old 04-12-2005 | 02:38 AM
Ahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by ajtcl
Zerostatic, Insyone, You guys keep fighting the good fight.

One reads this forum could almost be of the opinion that the rest of you who have responded to this thread hate your cars. I know we have some transmission issues, but all-in-all, the CL is a great automive platform on which to sound your individuality. The reason for this is the lack of aftermarket support forces a certain amount of enginuity and creativity.

If I really wanted a BMW or a Merc., I would have found a used one like I did my CL, $7,450. I just like Acuras. They have Euro-trash appeal without the cost and reliability issues (minus the crappy transmission with which I have already dispatched, $2,000).

Anyway, If you don't like the original question, why bloody respond? Just let the dreamers dream and read another thread.
Its a forum, debating ideas is the whole point. Nobody is saying he should get off the boards or be banned.
Old 04-12-2005 | 03:45 AM
CL 4 LYFE

Debating is good.
Old 04-12-2005 | 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

you guys forgot one thing, RWD
Old 04-12-2005 | 01:39 PM
Instructor

I've seen a civic on ebay once converted to RWD via a transaxle mounted in the rear with LSD....so I'd assume something could be rigged up for our cars if you were to put that much $$$ in it.
Old 04-12-2005 | 03:07 PM
RODDYS

Word of advice to all

If you want to be original and have a different car, like me, to work on and make a statement be aware that it takes money and lots of it.

If you want a good daily driver that you can put about 3k and have something nice to drive then a CL is your best buy. Most people feel because of the limited amount of parts that the CL is to expensive to fix up. Also the car comes with so many things that many people are happy with what they get when they buy it.

My final comment is this, To be a pioneer in the import industry you have to take risk and chances. You also have to pick a project and devote everything to that project, money, time, ect.... Most people when they started out working on imports were doing things like taking a sock and discovering short ram. Others with more money went the custom direction. When you pick are car like a cl you pick for one of the two reasons above, either for a nice looking, low or non-modded car, or to try and have a luxury show car thats out of the normalality that comes with the import world.

Basicly it boils down to this, If you got this car and you want to make it a super car you got to be willing to dish out the money, other wise you need to get something else that you can just bolt everything on to it and be happy being like other people, which is ok nothing wrong with that if thats what you want but with our cars thats not real possible

The forum asked what would we do when making an above average luxury coupe

Thats what I want to build my car into so this is an easy one

350-400hp non turbo motor
(nitrous will be included along with a supercharger, and I know luxury cars don't use nitrous)
Custom interior that remains a stock look but still has upgraded features like stereo system, navi, dvd, ect... Some cosmetic things like two tone leather, suede, ect....And keep the outside clean but sporty with lips exhaust and wheels. Make sure all the power can be stopped and contained and your done.
Old 04-12-2005 | 03:35 PM
CL 4 LYFE

Originally Posted by Nick 97cl
I've seen a civic on ebay once converted to RWD via a transaxle mounted in the rear with LSD....so I'd assume something could be rigged up for our cars if you were to put that much $$$ in it.
I've seen an mid engine CRX w/ an c30 or 32 inside.
Old 04-12-2005 | 04:02 PM
CL 4 LYFE

[QUOTE=roddymerritt]Basicly it boils down to this, If you got this car and you want to make it a super car you got to be willing to dish out the money, other wise you need to get something else that you can just bolt everything on to it and be happy being like other people, which is ok nothing wrong with that if thats what you want but with our cars thats not real possible[QUOTE]First of all, our car's wouldn't receive such treatment because the fact that it's simply not a true sports car. If our car's were true sports cars, we'd see a more sportier profile which would most likely include rwd; 6 speed v6 powerplant/comptech supercharged; larger brakes; etc. Our cars are luxury-sport compacts, and it is irrelavent to compare 2 different categories of automobiles because they don't resemble each other at all. So, if Acura were to revise the CL, they wouldn't go all out tacking on "balls" onto our cars. They'd stick to the factory "luxury-sports" specs.