Hey you with the aftermarket shift boot...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 05:11 PM
-iii-(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey you with the aftermarket shift boot...

yes you (plural)! Where did you get it, how much was it, and how do you install it? The reason I ask is because I just got a "JDM S2000 Type-R" shift knob and I don't want the square trim thing below my new knob. I don't know if it will even fit with that on. That is all. Thank you
Old 06-22-2002, 01:13 AM
Atl/Mia reppin'

No aftermarket boot here, just electrical tape "tastefully" done right at the base of the knob to keep the boot in place...i replace the tape every couple weeks. Yes, it does look ghetto
Old 06-22-2002, 09:59 AM
Turn Signals are good!

that chrome thing comes off... its held on by a wire tie on the inside...

I took a short stub of 1/2" pipe, wrapped the leather inside it and secured it, then put it back over the shift lever and put my knob on.

BTW- I have the same knob you have.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:28 AM
-iii-(

Originally posted by SumkidwithaCL
that chrome thing comes off... its held on by a wire tie on the inside...

I took a short stub of 1/2" pipe, wrapped the leather inside it and secured it, then put it back over the shift lever and put my knob on.

BTW- I have the same knob you have.
I figured you'd know about this, i was about to PM you.
Do I have to take the console out to do this? (98)
What is securing the leather boot to the knob?

i guess we have good taste in knobs though i think they're a little different, you have titanium, i have gunmetal, i think mine might be darker, i'll find out once it comes in the mail thanks!
Old 06-24-2002, 10:39 AM
Racer

I got my boot from a local shop for about $25 and I just took the old one out and screwed though the new one it wasnt hard at all.
Old 06-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Turn Signals are good!

Originally posted by Blacura

I figured you'd know about this, i was about to PM you.
Do I have to take the console out to do this? (98)
What is securing the leather boot to the knob?

i guess we have good taste in knobs though i think they're a little different, you have titanium, i have gunmetal, i think mine might be darker, i'll find out once it comes in the mail thanks!
Yeah, you gotta take that radio/shifter trim piece out. The boot is held to the bottom of that with a couple screws and a plastic "ring".

If you just pull down on that chrome piece, it will seperate from the knob, they just "snap" together.

Lets see some pics when you get it... i'd show you mine, but I didnt get any interior pics before I broke the camera.
Old 06-24-2002, 01:04 PM
-iii-(

Originally posted by SumkidwithaCL

Yeah, you gotta take that radio/shifter trim piece out. The boot is held to the bottom of that with a couple screws and a plastic "ring".

If you just pull down on that chrome piece, it will seperate from the knob, they just "snap" together.

Lets see some pics when you get it... i'd show you mine, but I didnt get any interior pics before I broke the camera.
I tried searching on how to take that out, but all i found were people trying to remove the big wood piece. How do i take out the radio/shifter thingy?

I knew that you can just pull the chrome piece down, i meant on your shifter, what is holding your knob to the boot?

I'll post pics if i can get my hands on a nice camera Thanks
Old 06-24-2002, 01:41 PM
Racer

pop the bottom out of your center counsel then remove the screws.

Pop out the cup holder then remove the screws

pop out the center counsel

unscrew the 2 screws at the back of the fake wood piece under the center council after it is removed.

then the fake wood just pops out and you will be able to remove the boot from there.

Not a hard process.
Old 07-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What about MOMO shift knobs? I heard that you need a special ring that only comes with the MOMO shift boot for it to look right. Can i just replace the shift boot/knob with MOMO ones?
Old 07-15-2002, 08:19 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I have a Momo knob with factory boot. I just removed plastic piece and folded the boot inward and looks good. I have a pic at my Yahoo site in the sig.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:53 PM
Midnight Marauder

Hey, after you get the trim ring around the stereo out you have to take the armrest off. There are two screws under the cd holder thing. After that's all off you have a screw or two in the Stereo area and a few from the rear where the armrest was. Then you have to take down your glove box and the panel under the steering wheel. take the change door off and you'll see a screw, then the rest pops off under the wheel area. AAfter taking all this off you have several screws in the sides (previously covered) of the center console.When they are all out you can lift the whole console off and take out the boot from below. I bought a nice leather one from JCWhitney.com for like $15.

Good luck and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty... it's the only way to learn.