HELP... Wheel PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 10:20 AM
pumpkin's une

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP... Wheel PROBLEM

my axles were recently replaced and now braking feels funny. while braking it feels like the brakes are not holding tightly, initially; they feels like they're slipping/jumping/skipping before gripping. you can eve hear the "slipping" sound (like wet brakes) before the car brakes. one can even hear the car computer system adjusting whenever this happens. what could possibly be the problem?

another mechanic told me on saturday that my hubs, bearings and rotors are bent. and i've got about 30 - 40% brakes left on both sides. he wants to sell me both regular front rotors and brakes for $245.00 for my '97 3.0. is this a good deals? i just saw this package deal on ebay for a 2.2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7918800688

will it work for my 3.0?

what the main difference between the regular rotors and cross-drilled and slotted rotors? performance difference?

please tell where can i get an even better deal.

thanks very very much in advance.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:51 AM
...if I had the money.

The main difference is cooling. Drilled/slotted rotors help move more hot gas away from between the pad and rotor surface. If you race or slam on your brakes alot, its worth it. If youre just driving regularly on the street, I dont think it will make a difference in performance. Don't go with no-name eBay either. Spend a little more and get some Brembos put on.

Keep in mind that drilled rotors are prone to cracking. If you do end up with drilled and slotted rotors, MAKE SURE they install them in the correct direction. If not, they won't cool in the way they are designed.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Safety Car

no they will not work on the 3.0.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:44 PM
pumpkin's une

thanks a lot fellas!

i've got these brake pads and rotors. will they work well? would you recommend them?

rotors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33564

brake pads:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33567

thanks!
Old 09-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

the computer adjusting sound that you are hearing sounds alot like the ABS system engaging and disengaging. You hear this when you start your car up and also if you slam on the breaks and feel that "crunching" feeling in the brake pedal. This kind of sounds like the slipping you describe everytime you brake. Maybe ABS is engaging for some reason when it shouldn't be?

Just a thought...good luck in getting it fixed.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:15 AM
pumpkin's une

yep, that's exactly what's happening, nicholbr. the computer adjusting sound is similar to the sound when you first start the car.

but why will it engage and disengage during regular breaking, sometimes? why am i getting that "slipping" feeling everytime i brake? is it because of the axle? i thought the abs only kicks in on wet or slippery sufface? i know the abs is connected to the braking system via the shaft on the axle. i also noticed that the abs sensor is right above the right axle (that didn't get replaced) shaft and the abs sensor is almost entirely off on the left axle (shaft) that did get replaced. i spoke to the dealership mechanic and another mechanic about this and they said it's no problem, especially since the abs light is not on.

someone PLEASE help!!!

Originally Posted by nicholbr
the computer adjusting sound that you are hearing sounds alot like the ABS system engaging and disengaging. You hear this when you start your car up and also if you slam on the breaks and feel that "crunching" feeling in the brake pedal. This kind of sounds like the slipping you describe everytime you brake. Maybe ABS is engaging for some reason when it shouldn't be?

Just a thought...good luck in getting it fixed.