HELP! emergency brake light stays on, but not engaged, i dont think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006 | 11:31 AM
Who the F*** is Chucky?

HELP! emergency brake light stays on, but not engaged, i dont think?

Guys i need some help, and kinda fast, im actually at a hotel for the night because im in the middle of a road trip from boston to miami, and then from miami back to boston.

So heres the deal...the E brake light on my dash started coming on randomly and then off right away before i went on the road trip, but the ebrake wasnt engaged (no signs of resistance, smell, lack of acceleration, brake failure, etc) so i didnt think anything of it.

Well Ive already drove over 36 hours, on my way back to boston now and now the light on the dash is at the point where it is staying on constantly, nothing i can do, accelerating, braking, changing gears will turn the light off. Again, ive drove with the light on constantly for about 12 hours now and still no signs of the ebrake actually being engaged, again no signs of resistance, burning brake smell, no lack of acceleration, no brake failure or lack of brake performance when braking, no signs of wear on the rotors that i can tell etc, but yet the light stays on on the dash.

I need to know what can be causing this because it is really getting on my nerves, and driving 48 hours in like 4 days is stressful enough.

is it just a mishap with the wiring, what do you guys think?

Please help before tomorrow morning, because ill be back out on the road.

thanks in advance guys
Old 01-11-2006 | 11:47 AM
1999 CL3.0

its the cold weather thats doing it
Old 01-11-2006 | 11:49 AM
Racer

top up on brake fluid.... walaaaaa, it should be gone.
Old 01-11-2006 | 12:03 PM
Pro

probably low brake fluid. Top it off and it should be fine.
Old 01-11-2006 | 12:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wontonjohnny
top up on brake fluid.... walaaaaa, it should be gone.
YUP DO THAT AND IF THAT DONT WORK REPLACE THE BRAKE FLUID LEVEL SENSOR ( MASTER CYLENDER CAP)
Old 01-11-2006 | 12:48 PM
Insert Sarcasm Here

^ok first of all, turn off your fucking caps lock. it comes across as yelling.

and secondly, this subject needs a fucking stickey at the top of this forum, this gets asked like five times a month.
Old 01-11-2006 | 01:04 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by ACURATECHTX
YUP DO THAT AND IF THAT DONT WORK REPLACE THE BRAKE FLUID LEVEL SENSOR ( MASTER CYLENDER CAP)
Hey we got a real acura tech in here!!

Oh btw where da fuk is the brake fluid thingy...?
Old 01-11-2006 | 01:05 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Palayah8ta

In the brake fluid reservoir :duh:

Old 01-11-2006 | 01:41 PM
Instructor

As i said master cyl cap ... that is the "brake fluid thingy"
Old 01-11-2006 | 01:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Smalls

and secondly, this subject needs a fucking stickey at the top of this forum, this gets asked like five times a month.
SORRY SMALLS...... im at work and everything i do is in caps....
Old 01-11-2006 | 01:44 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

yeah i had the same problem...i just checked my cap, took it off, then put it back on....and BAM! no more light...
Old 01-11-2006 | 01:54 PM
Insert Sarcasm Here

Originally Posted by ACURATECHTX
SORRY SMALLS...... im at work and everything i do is in caps....
its cool, just dont let it happen again

Originally Posted by hybridnrg
yeah i had the same problem...i just checked my cap, took it off, then put it back on....and BAM! no more light...

yea, that worked for me for a month, then it came right back on.
Old 01-11-2006 | 03:22 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
In the brake fluid reservoir :duh:

k wheres that?
Old 01-11-2006 | 03:48 PM
Instructor

k wheres that?
in the front
Old 01-11-2006 | 03:58 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Originally Posted by knothd
in the front

Old 01-11-2006 | 04:09 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

k wheres that?
It's the round reservoir that has black fluid in it, that says brake fluid on the top
Old 01-11-2006 | 04:24 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by knothd
in the front
Noob battle, i think im winning..

Ok so in the engine bay.. to the left or right? front or back? LOL i have a 2.3 btw Thanks! And i heard intakes icrease ur hp by 15..
Old 01-11-2006 | 04:29 PM
HOOK EM HORNS

bad sensor, make sure you have fluid
Old 01-11-2006 | 07:58 PM
Who the F*** is Chucky?

sorry it took me so long to get back to the thread...kinda hard to get to the internet...

i checked all my fluids before i left...the brake fluid was above the min line almost to the max line...so im guessing, from what everyone is saying, that its probably a bad sensor?

but..it should be alright to drive then right?
Old 01-11-2006 | 10:32 PM
Safety Car

no the sensor is very tempremental. just top it off to just above the max. and the light will go out.
Old 01-12-2006 | 11:26 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by Smalls

I couldnt agree with you any more!

* Home |Your Account | Search |Find New Posts |Mark All Read |Members |Staff

Its a wonderful thing.
Old 01-12-2006 | 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
I couldnt agree with you any more!

* Home |Your Account | Search |Find New Posts |Mark All Read |Members |Staff

Its a wonderful thing.
Wish more people used it
Old 01-13-2006 | 11:13 AM
Who the F*** is Chucky?

^^^ usually i dont post anything without using the search first. This was a particular situation where i only had so much time online (since i was in a hotel) and looking for one quick answer since i needed to know if it was safe to continue driving my car. Secondly, this isnt really a question that i would think would be covered in the search, it seems like a specific problem, i wasnt aware it was a frequent problem, like someone else siad, it should prob be a sticky because i would have already known what was wrong when it initially started.

third, i think "use the search" is the most overused and annoying phrase on forums...mostly used by people who have no idea what the answer is but still want to pump up their post count. Just answer the question or dont say anything, i posted a thread to get an answer, not to get 1/4 of the thread that says use the search....THANKS

on another note, thank you to everyone that did help me when i needed help, i really appreciate it, it was a lot more enjoyable driving home knowing that something was not wrong instead of wondering if my car was gonna mess up and kill me.

by the way, i grew an extreme love for my car driving 52 hours in 4 days...seriously, cannot complain one bit about the comfort or reliability, or gas mileage of the car throughout the whole trip..so glad i bought another cl.
Old 01-13-2006 | 12:17 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
brake pads may be low as well
Old 01-13-2006 | 01:34 PM
Who the F*** is Chucky?

Originally Posted by CLpower
brake pads may be low as well

brake pads were just recently changed by the PO, ide say he put junk on and maybe they are low again already but the braking performance is very good...i think my fluid is just low.

Now when i add more fluid, is it a good idea to drain the old fluid and put completely new fluid in, or is it alright to mix the new and the remaining old fluid by just topping it off?

again, thanks guys
Old 01-13-2006 | 01:36 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by bostonroads
brake pads were just recently changed by the PO, ide say he put junk on and maybe they are low again already but the braking performance is very good...i think my fluid is just low.

Now when i add more fluid, is it a good idea to drain the old fluid and put completely new fluid in, or is it alright to mix the new and the remaining old fluid by just topping it off?

again, thanks guys
Just top it off man, you don't wanna get into draining/bleeding your brakes
Old 01-13-2006 | 01:49 PM
Who the F*** is Chucky?

very tru..might be a hassle..just wondering if it was the better route to go
Old 01-13-2006 | 02:55 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

^^^ usually i dont post anything without using the search first. This was a particular situation where i only had so much time online (since i was in a hotel) and looking for one quick answer since i needed to know if it was safe to continue driving my car. Secondly, this isnt really a question that i would think would be covered in the search, it seems like a specific problem, i wasnt aware it was a frequent problem, like someone else siad, it should prob be a sticky because i would have already known what was wrong when it initially started.

third, i think "use the search" is the most overused and annoying phrase on forums...mostly used by people who have no idea what the answer is but still want to pump up their post count. Just answer the question or dont say anything, i posted a thread to get an answer, not to get 1/4 of the thread that says use the search....THANKS

on another note, thank you to everyone that did help me when i needed help, i really appreciate it, it was a lot more enjoyable driving home knowing that something was not wrong instead of wondering if my car was gonna mess up and kill me.

by the way, i grew an extreme love for my car driving 52 hours in 4 days...seriously, cannot complain one bit about the comfort or reliability, or gas mileage of the car throughout the whole trip..so glad i bought another cl.

Ok fine. I see your point. Your right 95% of the time. BUT if you would have done a search, you would have had about 1000 posts come up about this and would have actually taken you less time to do a search then to make a post and wait for a reply. Type in Brake Light and ill bet you that the first one that comes up has to do with this topic. Even I made a thread about this about 4 months ago, and thats not counting the 999 other threads in the past 2 months.
Old 01-13-2006 | 05:48 PM
Insert Sarcasm Here

started.

I think that people who post thread # 1002 about the same subject; is the most annoying thing in forums. You posted a new thread to get an answer, not to get 1/4 of the thread that says use the search, yet all the fucking newbs cludder up the forum and make the rest of the tread threw all the fucking reposts on something that has been answered MANY times. You are the one at fault by posting this forum-wasting shit, not us becuase we flame you for it. USE THE FUCKING SEARCH.

Just becuase you are to ignorant to find your own answer doesn't mean we dont know the answer to the question. We are not trying to raise our post count. Rather, showing you how to utilize the forum.

Dont step to me newb.

Thank You, good night.
Old 01-13-2006 | 06:00 PM
Racer

yet this thread still got 2 pages of post.... half of it about using SEARCH

hey if a buddy needs help and others are willing to answer and not throw a fit about it, why not? doesnt cost money to anyone or harm anyone.

sometimes ppl just dont feel like scanning through other threads to find the answer

give newbs a break
Old 01-13-2006 | 07:24 PM
Who the F*** is Chucky?

^^^ thank you

and im not a newb..once again, DO A SEARCH for my new name, you might find the answer that i have stated before MANY TIMES that this is my second time around on these forums and my second cl, the first one was in 2002, before you were even on here smalls.

Second...."Dont step to me newb" - i didnt mean to insult your high honerable E-thugness your honor.

again, like me and the guy above me said, answer the question or dont, if not, shut your mouth.

Can a mod please clean this thread up
Old 01-13-2006 | 09:26 PM

You said e-brake light? The e-brake is actuated by the cable so the fluid has nothing to do with it. The e-brake light comes on when the e-brake is actuated, so maybe the e-brake switch is just abit out of adjustment.
Old 01-13-2006 | 09:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Chemmech
You said e-brake light? The e-brake is actuated by the cable so the fluid has nothing to do with it. The e-brake light comes on when the e-brake is actuated, so maybe the e-brake switch is just abit out of adjustment.

here smalls, flame this guy. hes not even a newb and doesnt know.
Old 01-14-2006 | 02:27 PM
Insert Sarcasm Here

You know what, I would like to apologize. I was having a pretty bad day. But I do get sick of seeing the same posts over and over again.

I wasn't trying to be an "ethug" its just that this has to be the #1 repost of all time in the first gen forum. Therefore, I would never think to search for your last screen name. My is that someone with your history would search first. Then post.

Again, my
Old 01-14-2006 | 02:37 PM
Racer

its coo man....

i think half the traffic on forums have nothing to do with the actual topic, more conflicts than anything. your not the only one. i cant say i havent been in your shoes
Old 01-14-2006 | 04:36 PM
Who the F*** is Chucky?

i think everyones done it...kinda hypocritical to me to do it at one point then flame someone else at a later point...but lets just let it go...not worth bitching about, this thread already got turned into a cluster Fuc* of bs

by the way, i topped the brake fluid off..problem solved..thank you to those who helped
Old 01-15-2006 | 01:39 AM
Safety Car

thas funny as shit.... dude man is drinkin the cool-aid and dont even know the flavor.
Old 01-15-2006 | 02:43 AM
Instructor

The easiest way to make the light go away is to take a syringe and suck all the old fluid in the reservior out. Then replace it with new fluid. This has been proven on my CL and the light never came back and make sure you clean the brake fluid filter too; mines was kinda dirty.
Old 01-15-2006 | 10:25 AM
Safety Car

^^^
thats an awesome idea..... if you want air in your master cylinder and have no brakes.
Old 05-09-2006 | 09:02 AM
Racer

so its faster to post a new topic and wait for a correct response than to search, and find the already answered question?

Quick Reply: HELP! emergency brake light stays on, but not engaged, i dont think?