Grinding noise?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Grinding noise?!

I've been having starting issues for about 2 weeks now and plan on getting a new battery and starter. Today, about an hour ago, I go to start my car and the start was delayed as usual but started up after a few try's. I turn the car off went in the house then came back out and started it again. When I did, it started right up but started to make a loud consistent grinding noise at idle.Its similar to the rattling sound the heat shield makes when you accelerate but more grinding, consistent and louder. I went under the hood to detect where the noise was coming from and it sounds like its coming from the left side of the engine bay.

Anyone have any idea WTF is happening?
Old 01-01-2006, 05:03 PM
Racer

when you say you have starting issues, what exactly happens? Starter does not engage? Starter engages but car will not fire? Elaborate on that if you can...

Why do you say you're planning on getting a new battery and starter?
Old 01-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Pro

In the mornings when I turn the key for the first time the engine dose not turn over right away, it takes 3 or 5 attempts before the engine finally starts. Everything else turns on, radio, lights, A/C, gauge, etc. accept the engine. I can hear the ticking noise coming from the starter which either means the starter is dead or there is a bad connection. Hence me needing to purchase a new battery,cables and starter. I really only need a new starter and battery cables but I wanna upgrade to an Optima yellow top.

As far as the noise I drove the car around a little bit to see if it would go away and it did. I'm guessing the noise was coming from the starter somehow.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

sounds like your starter is not disengaging. u have a 2.3 right so the tranny is on the left side lookin at the engine from the front. you better not let it do that for long cause you could be lookin at a new fly wheel if it grinds off all the teeth. or some of them..
Old 01-02-2006, 08:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by wilp99
sounds like your starter is not disengaging. u have a 2.3 right so the tranny is on the left side lookin at the engine from the front. you better not let it do that for long cause you could be lookin at a new fly wheel if it grinds off all the teeth. or some of them..
Yea man, the noise scared the shit outta me. I felt that it was something serious but not how serious. Do you think I should have a mech take a look to see if there is any damage then install the starter or should I just go ahead and install it myself? IT was making that noise for a total of 3-4 mins total. I kept turning it on and off every minute or so till I finaly took it out to drive. ITs a 2.3 by the way.

preciate the info.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Safety Car

if i remember correctly you have a timing plug between your engine and tranny.. thru that plug you should be able to see the flywheel. just turn the crank (with the ignition off and car in park) and look thru the hole to see if all the teeth are there. if they are there install new starter. alittle rounding of the teeth are ok.. as long as they arent missing.