Got rear ended today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got rear ended today!

But the car was not totalled.

A college grad on a Jeep Wrangler rear ended me at a stop light today.
He was tailgatting me for a while and finally bumped into me. Apparently, he was running late for his interview. He squished my bumper and bent open the trunk. It is raining now here and I pulled the car into a covered parking lot and walking around. I was wondering if I can use some kind of adhesive tape to seal the trunk opening till I take it to the body shop. Any suggestions? I was thinking of Duck tape but it leaves a heavy residue and might spoil the paint.

Also, my remote locking started acting funny. Now the lights don't blink when I lock or unlock but all light function properly. Some electrical connection problem?
It might sound wierd but I feel my engine got rougher ...logically I don't have any explanation for such an effect from rear ending

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i got dibz on your grill goodluck
Old 06-08-2006, 07:13 PM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
that sux zipties for the win
Old 06-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The crash could have dislodged part of your exhaust system or damaged the cat or muffler. As for connections in Keyless Entry, You probably have a short in the trunk latch or the truck closure sensor. Oh, and DUCK tape (QUACK, AFLAC), WTF, are you 10 Years Old? Try using a polypropaline or polyethaline plastic with DUCT tape. That should hold you over untill you get to the shop.

Good luck, and give that an anal insurance raping.

I hate tailgaters.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Fast Foward>Rewind>Play

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i ove to slam on my breaks so they stay off my ass, usually works.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:18 PM
where is....

i wish i would get rear ended and my cl was totalled
Old 06-08-2006, 09:21 PM
BOSS

Might have pinched you exhaust. Check to make sure everything is straight
Old 06-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR
The car was not totalled!!!!

Thanks ajtcl, I will try it first thing in the morning.

I never had any accident or insurance claim experience. This is the first time. So if you guys want to share your wisdom, I would be happy to listen to
Old 06-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

When I take it for estimate should I ask them to look at the exhaust etc?
Do I need to check with local Acura dealer for their preferred body shop because I want the bumper to be color matched properly.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:49 PM
A-CL Totaled Member

Originally Posted by ajtcl
Oh, and DUCK tape (QUACK, AFLAC), WTF, are you 10 Years Old? Try using a polypropaline or polyethaline plastic with DUCT tape. That should hold you over untill you get to the shop.
Duck Tape actually is a brand of duct tape
Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 PM
where is....

when they interview you, dont say anything that they can use against you, or eles you might get some fault. they might even try to pull 50/50 on you.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:05 PM
BOSS

If they hit you from behind it is THEIR FAULT. I've been in some accidents in my day and that's one thing I know. You could've slammed on your brakes for any reason and if they were "a safe distance away" like they should be, they sould've been able to stop. If they give you shit tell them that the person in front of you slammed on his brakes and you didn't hit them. If they weren't tailgating they would of had plenty of time to brake and not hit you.

You should definately get paid. Get two or three estimates and go with the most expensive, then shop, shop, shop for parts online and save the extra cash for whatever you want.

Good luck with everything. Hope it works out for ya( it should)
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 PM
where is....

yeah it is their fault, but my mom just got hit by a 3.0cl that looked just like my 2.2
he ran a stop sign going pretty fast, and my mom didnt have a stop sign.
at first they wanted 50/50 then the evidence came thru so the other insurence company wanted 80/20 then threats to sue got us to 90/10 which is good but not good enough.......now we are in the process of suing the insurence company, and have a busted up minivan on our drive way.
so like i said, be careful not to say anything that can be used against you, or even sound like you didnt know what was going on.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
damn 3.0 drivers :shakehead
Old 06-08-2006, 11:23 PM
4x4- fat chicks cant jump

Raleigh, eh? im right there near you. damn drivers. sorry to hear about that man.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

5-Speed where in Raleigh?
I go to NCSU and nowadays I see a lot of CLs around campus.

The guy who hit me said that he wanted to settle outside of insurance. I called and reported the incident to my insurance company (State farm) and the rep said that I should call his insurance agent (GMAC/Integon) and make sure that he has reported. I want to check the police report before I call the GMAC but damn that thing is not online yet. Also, when the cop gave us the driver information exchange form, he said that he was at fault and he did not give him a ticket. That cop was very friendly though!
Old 06-09-2006, 08:43 AM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by mdashali
Do I need to check with local Acura dealer for their preferred body shop because I want the bumper to be color matched properly.
uh if you're not paying for it, you'd better definitely take it to an acura dealer...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:44 AM
how handsome I am

The guy who hit me said that he wanted to settle outside of insurance. I called and reported the incident to my insurance company (State farm) and the rep said that I should call his insurance agent (GMAC/Integon) and make sure that he has reported. I want to check the police report before I call the GMAC but damn that thing is not online yet. Also, when the cop gave us the driver information exchange form, he said that he was at fault and he did not give him a ticket. That cop was very friendly though!
uh why wouldnt the cop give him a ticket? I dont like the sound of that...
Old 06-09-2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,478 Likes on 3,071 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverCL97
damn 3.0 drivers :shakehead
Old 06-09-2006, 09:49 AM
4x4- fat chicks cant jump

cary

ive seen a good amount of first gen CLs around here
Old 06-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

:shakehead Damn vultures, CAW CAW CAW

His car's not even totaled
Old 06-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
:shakehead Damn vultures, CAW CAW CAW

His car's not even totaled
yeah i know, just incase, dont hate, because you know i beat you to it.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

yeah i know, just incase, dont hate, because you know i beat you to it.
I already have 2 grills vulture boy
Old 06-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the guy want to settle it outside of the insurance...then just take ur car to Acura and have them estimate everything including a car rental for however long it will take to fix it. Other wise when the insurance company estimate it, make sure to tell them that the muffler is messed up....they will give you a check for what they think is reasonable but thats not really final...say they give you $2000 check and the body shop/deal charge $3000, the body shop will call the insurance and tell them that its gonna cost another $1000. Or u can take that $2000 and take it so normal body shop and have it done for $500 and pocket the other $1500.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

Im dumbfounded that your insurance co. told you to call theirs...Thats what you pay them for.

Most good body shops will be able to match the paint with no problems. Its not like your car is a fiat or anything with some wierd paint.

Ask around with people you know/ work with and find out if they know of any good body shops. Take it to a place you feel comfortable with to get your estimate. Check the BBB website and whatnot.

My expierience with car insurance companies and claims are not to great. Even with state farm (took 2 months and 1 ass chewing phone call) to total out the car that I rolled 3 times.
If they pull the investigation card on ya, thats just a way to buy more time.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ib_jimmy
If the guy want to settle it outside of the insurance...then just take ur car to Acura and have them estimate everything including a car rental for however long it will take to fix it. Other wise when the insurance company estimate it, make sure to tell them that the muffler is messed up....they will give you a check for what they think is reasonable but thats not really final...say they give you $2000 check and the body shop/deal charge $3000, the body shop will call the insurance and tell them that its gonna cost another $1000. Or u can take that $2000 and take it so normal body shop and have it done for $500 and pocket the other $1500.
I went to an Acura dealer and they pointed me to a body shop. Got an estimate for $1100 and now that guy wants to go through insurance. He had GMAC insurance in report and then calls me and said he now has Nationwide and never emails the policy number for a day and I called and filed a claim with Nationwide. The next day they call me and said that the car was not insured with them. And then I get hold of that guy and he now says that insurance is in his dad's name with GMAC and he has reported it to them. Pretty messed up!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
I went to an Acura dealer and they pointed me to a body shop. Got an estimate for $1100 and now that guy wants to go through insurance. He had GMAC insurance in report and then calls me and said he now has Nationwide and never emails the policy number for a day and I called and filed a claim with Nationwide. The next day they call me and said that the car was not insured with them. And then I get hold of that guy and he now says that insurance is in his dad's name with GMAC and he has reported it to them. Pretty messed up!
Good luck.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
next just
Old 06-14-2006, 12:05 PM
~[τΏτ]~

Man I went through the same crap a year ago. Some lady made an illegal right turn and ran into me. She puts her name as the primary and turns out her husband was the primary on insureance company they just signed up a few days earlier. Took me almost 2 weeks for the insureance people to figure that out. I hate that BS.

Good luck with everything. I hope everything turns out well.