Fuel map ECU Reprogramming question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 11:25 AM
The Human Radar Detector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel map ECU Reprogramming question?

I have a friend whos been into serious Honda Tuning for about six years (hes 20) which is longer than Ive know how an engine works. Its been his lifes obsession and Ive really had to struggle to catch up to his knowledge and ability. Well Ive got the engine and suspenion theories and mechanics down perfectly, but Electronics are still a little blurry. Anyway we got into a little heated debate which makes sense to me but I want your opinions, also I prefer your opinion if you have more than partial knowledge or knowledge that isnt limited to domestic cars.

His theory: The Honda US Spec reldine is bullshit, the only reason its so low is for Warranty reasons. He claims Honda/Acura has it set lower so theres less chance you can do damage to your engine and less chance that they will have to fix it under warranty. Thats why theres so many high mileage hondas like my old 87 Integra with 280,000 miles which I got to a hundred eveyrday. He says they last so long because with a factory redline it takes for ever for them to wear out even driven under sport and street race conditions. He says that you dont even get close to hurting it by redlining, he recommended that I send in my ECU to get the fuel map redone and change my redline to 8,000 and fuel cutoff to 10,000. He drives a very modified civic and he did warn me that I probably would be better off to beef up the connecting rods, but he keeps claiming that the engines can handle this heightened load and its just because Honda and Acura are capatalist pigs. (He didnt say that but his argument is they are trying to save $$$) This all makes sense to me but I argue that the internals must all be beefed up or the engines gonna be fucked.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

or F series engines i believe cannot take revs to 8000 continuously like he claims but 7200 or around that area seem more realistic. When u change that u might want to dyno the car with cam gears to set the powerband more towards top end. A stock dyno shows that our engines stop making power after 6000 rpm. I think the reason that the rev limit is low in our engines is that your friend is correct in a way and also that it was tuned for everyday driving with power band being around 3-5000 rpm. Correct me if im wrong but that is my theory.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:09 PM
The Human Radar Detector

Sounds right to me, I was curious as to what exactly couldnt hold up I figured the connecting rods would snap a-la civic. I believe changing the fuel map would also change the amount of power produced throughout each RPM up to the new redline oh well sounds like Im gonna need to spend a couple hours on howstuffworks.com
Old 08-07-2002, 04:16 PM
Swaps? $3000 for 50HP? :(

Re: Fuel map ECU Reprogramming question?

Originally posted by jttoombs
he recommended that I send in my ECU to get the fuel map redone and change my redline to 8,000 and fuel cutoff to 10,000.
Explain to me the difference between redline and fuel cut. The fuel cut in the 2.2 is 6500.

I've heard that the DOHC series is designed to run at higher rpm no problem. In fact the first stage of Hondata is to raise the rev limit. Our SOHC engine has a completely different valve train and is what I've read is the weakest link in talking RPM.

If you persue this I would recommend aftermarket springs. The higher the rpm the faster they need to shut the valves. If/when I go to a stand alone ecu, I want to raise the rev limit as well.
Old 08-07-2002, 04:34 PM
The Human Radar Detector

Redline is when you start to push the engines to its limits essentially where the red line begins on your tach. Fuel cut off is when you get force out of gear when you may supposedly damage your engine by venturing higher into the rpms. Also niedejb answer that kids question in the beating the american cars post.