First Preformance Upgrades for 97 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Preformance Upgrades for 97 2.2

Well, I've finally got my 97 2.2 Cl and want to guve it something extra in the power department.

What I've been thinking about doing is putting in a new cold air intake, headers, and a new exhaust. The problem is that I haven't been able to find what I've been looking for. I have roughly $900 and would like to know who makes the various things that I want to get.

Since this is really my first venture into the world of aftermarket preformance upgrades, I need alot of help. So if you all could give me some tips on parts, companies, and what to expect after I've added the parts, I would be very appriciative.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:11 PM
white 2.2 aka ghost

this is most likely gonna be my set-up when i get the money to do it.
1. ebay intake w/ K&N filter
2. custom 2.25" custom mandrel bent piping w/ magnaflow or Apex N1 muffler
3. Dc Sports or OBX stainless steel header

this is after im done with the maintence that i desperately need. i would rather have my car running almost new before i start modding my vehicle. you should also look into that.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Im not the expert around here, but ill be the 1st one to say;
Ebay is your friend,
Dont expect a miracle with only a $1000 (unless your willing to use nitrous)
Good suspensions are not cheap
O and the search button is very useful
Goodluck!
Old 06-21-2005, 01:16 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Random_Baller
Well, I've finally got my 97 2.2 Cl and want to guve it something extra in the power department.

What I've been thinking about doing is putting in a new cold air intake, headers, and a new exhaust. The problem is that I haven't been able to find what I've been looking for. I have roughly $900 and would like to know who makes the various things that I want to get.

Since this is really my first venture into the world of aftermarket preformance upgrades, I need alot of help. So if you all could give me some tips on parts, companies, and what to expect after I've added the parts, I would be very appriciative.

Thanks in advance for any help.
man, you literally sound just like I did back in october in my first post...

Hey guys. Before I begin, let me apologize in advance if this question has been asked a gajillion times (I looked around, couldnt really find what i was looking for.)

Well, here goes:

I just recently picked up a 97 CL 5spd and I was wondering what were some of the common power upgrades you could put on the thing. I'm sorta starting to get into this whole performance upgrade thing, but more than anything I just want to have fun driving my car.

I've read Cold air intake, new headers, etc. First off, (again, apologizing in advance if this is explained elsewhere) what exactly do some of these upgrades do for the car (and not just these two, but some of the others as well.)

Thanks for your input, and if there's a link explaining all of this stuff up already, You can link me up and lock this post out.

Thanks again,
-Alex
hehe... anyways, your best friends here are going to be EBAY and the SEARCH button. Your first upgrades are probably going to be "Cold Air Intake", "Headers" and "Exhaust". Type all those in, and you should get several topics talking about just those. (Make sure you search in 1st generation discussion.)

if 900's your budget, this may be all you can afford for now... the next upgrade I reccomend will be a suspension one. You can search for "shocks" or "coilovers" or "springs" and those should bring up several topics too...

good luck.
-Alex

:edit: this is of course, if you've already taken the car to a mechanic for a check up. if not, I recommened that over ANY performance upgrades as your first "mod." (trust me, its better to have a car that runs perfectly stock, than a car that doesnt run at all thats modded (ask cocoa/insyone )
Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by 97Acura2.2CL

2. custom 2.25" custom mandrel bent piping w/ magnaflow or Apex N1 muffler
Man dont get the N1, so annoying/ricey. i know a lot of pple have magnaflow, but theres a reason to that..
Old 06-21-2005, 01:43 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Palayah8ta
Man dont get the N1, so annoying/ricey. i know a lot of pple have magnaflow, but theres a reason to that..
agree about the N1 and magnaflow.

First thing I would do since you got money is set up the suspension first, because whats good about having extra hp if you cant put it to the ground "in use." Once you got that set move on to making more power. Aem and Ingen intakes are popular because they have been dyno proven for more power. And why buy something thats just going to make sound. Sorry Palayah8ta...lol. But you did get it for free so you cant complain. Anyways there are pulleys, headers, exhausts, ignition modifactions you can do like spark plugs, plug wires..etc. Just remember we share the same parts with the 94-97 honda accord. So when looking for engine parts or what ever, just remember that.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Ahhhhhhhh

AEM V2 or bust.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by hybridnrg
.... Aem and Ingen intakes are popular because they have been dyno proven for more power. And why buy something thats just going to make sound. Sorry Palayah8ta...lol. But you did get it for free so you cant complain. .
Always tryin to put me down huh?!? Man my crappy intake works GREAT from 65-90 mph in 3rd gear. so im not going to complain. The guy with the 2005 7 series who i raped going down the 60 west might.. (in traffic of course).

Random baller, since u have the cash unlike me, get a v2, then go on ebay and get some stainless steel headers from OBX or Megan. Then get a new muffler. i dunno have fun. u dont have to do it all at once. Get a Helms manual so u can install this stuff yourself and save money for more mods.. Go team
Old 06-21-2005, 02:03 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Always tryin to put me down huh?!?

haha no, hey atleast you got a 5 speed and a remote starter....i dont have either.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:19 PM
white 2.2 aka ghost

agree about the N1 and magnaflow.

First thing I would do since you got money is set up the suspension first, because whats good about having extra hp if you cant put it to the ground "in use." Once you got that set move on to making more power. Aem and Ingen intakes are popular because they have been dyno proven for more power. And why buy something thats just going to make sound. Sorry Palayah8ta...lol. But you did get it for free so you cant complain. Anyways there are pulleys, headers, exhausts, ignition modifactions you can do like spark plugs, plug wires..etc. Just remember we share the same parts with the 94-97 honda accord. So when looking for engine parts or what ever, just remember that.

suspension is very important. because everyone here knows nothing beats having a slammed CL.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:21 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

suspension is very important. because everyone here knows nothing beats having a slammed CL.

well I wouldnt slam the thing down to the ground, unless you like to feel ever crack and bump on the road, but something that you would be able to live with every day.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Handling first. Speed second (not that there will be too much speed )

Just the appearance alone in lowering your car gives you more for your money than spending 600 bucks on i/e/h and getting 5 hp if your lucky. I have a 97 2.2 with i/h and it didnt do too much, but the suspension did alot. THats the way I would go. Leave rims for last. Happy modding.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:24 PM
white 2.2 aka ghost

well yea i know that, but thats just the term i use instead of lowered. but baller what ever you do dont thug your car out an put ugly chrome wheels on it. i see to many ruined CL's all around NJ and NY like that.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

haha no, hey atleast you got a 5 speed and a remote starter....i dont have either.
Haha, its koo. I put an offer for 150shipped on a used V2. the guy said maybe. That jerk.

HAHA just because his name is baller does not mean hes going to thug his car out!! hahaha
Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

HAHA just because his name is baller does not mean hes going to thug his car out!! hahaha

haha i was thinking the same thing. Hope he doesnt go that way....
Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

And NO NO NO NO NO NO NO Black Widow kit please.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Racer

who puts a remote starter on a 5 speed. thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2point2CL

Why not?? Why put remote start in an auto?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:50 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

why is that dumbest thing you ever heard? do you know how they work?! dont think so.

Originally Posted by pebecl97
And NO NO NO NO NO NO NO Black Widow kit please.

aww shit i better cancel the order for mine. lol...j/k
Old 06-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

why is that dumbest thing you ever heard? do you know how they work?! dont think so.

aww shit i better cancel the order for mine. lol...j/k

You know u did order one until Platano put that pic up yesterday.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:57 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Originally Posted by pebecl97
You know u did order one until Platano put that pic up yesterday.

oh yeah...haha i saw that. I got sick just looking at it.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:15 PM
white 2.2 aka ghost

Haha, its koo. I put an offer for 150shipped on a used V2. the guy said maybe. That jerk.

lol i never even thought of that. that makes alot of sense now. lol
Old 06-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Racer

well when you turn on the remote starter on an automatic, it tends to be in park. where as if you park your 5 speed with just the ebrake leaving it in neutral, well ur an idiot for parking that way in the first place. but should u ever leave the car in gear and use your really sweet remote start, your car will start moving. thats why its the dumbest thing ive ever heard. whats your wrap on it
Old 06-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

well when you turn on the remote starter on an automatic, it tends to be in park. where as if you park your 5 speed with just the ebrake leaving it in neutral, well ur an idiot for parking that way in the first place. but should u ever leave the car in gear and use your really sweet remote start, your car will start moving. thats why its the dumbest thing ive ever heard. whats your wrap on it
Well if ur new to the remote start, u might keep ur car in gear and accidentally start it. The car only moves about 1 foot. before it stops moving. So yea somebody is incompetent, not a good idea. For me, i leave it in neutral, ebrake up, air conditioning at 61degrees. So when my fat ass is getting into my car its not fuking hot all the time, like today its 95degrees in southern cali. Black leather is bad on days like this. Remote start is a beatiful thing to have, u get used to leaving ur car in nuetral all the time.
---
As for leaving any manual car parked in nuetral i dont know why thats a bad idea. If u turn ur wheels to the curb the way you should ur car wont roll away. And if u keep up maintanance on your car the way you shuold ur ebrake shouldnt be failing on you.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Cruisin'

Alright

First, this thing is freshly tuned, I got I from my grandpa (he just got a TSX!), he took care of this car like it was his child, (only 50k mi)

Second does any one have a link where I can get that Helms Manuel, that someone mentioned

Third, don't worry, I have seen the black widow kit, that thing is hideous. Also I'm not into huge chrome rims either, I like the clean look more than just flashy

Fourth, I do feel stupid, I should have searched

Any other suggestions are still welcome

And the name "Baller" is an inside joke from a few of my friends
Old 06-21-2005, 04:38 PM
white 2.2 aka ghost

arite now thats good we cleared everything up. lol. thats awesome your grandpa drove a manual CL. is his new TSX a stick. and BTW Chilton manuals are also very useful if you want to learn how to replace things and basically learn your car inside and out.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:39 PM
how handsome I am

suprise suprise... its the end of the first page and no one's thrown up a n00b smiley...

well, here goes

and yes, now that you've got the car checked up, good luck w/your mods and lets get some pics pronto!

-Alex
Old 06-21-2005, 05:13 PM
sounds fast but its not

Exhaust: I have a HKS supper dragger and it sounds great......I get complimented on it about once every 2 weeks. Real deep at low RPMS and sounds pretty mean at higher RPMs (even though the car is still slow as fuck)

As far as 1st mod goes.......do suspension first....i started out with intake and exhaust and it doesn't give you much power but it does sound a lot better. 2yrs later (today) I had sportlines/kybagx's installed and I have never been happier. Looks better and rides better. Its up to you but as a personal opinion....i'd go with the suspension
Old 06-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Cruisin'

arite now thats good we cleared everything up. lol. thats awesome your grandpa drove a manual CL. is his new TSX a stick. and BTW Chilton manuals are also very useful if you want to learn how to replace things and basically learn your car inside and out.
Yup, it's the six speed, with the navi it is totally kick ass. Just a side note, before the Cl he had an RX-7.

About the suspension, I can get a good set of coilovers for $900 or less?

As far as pics go, I don't have a digital camera right now, but should be able to find one pretty soon. In the mean time, the Cl is blue in pristine condition, use your imagination.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:08 PM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by Random_Baller
Yup, it's the six speed, with the navi it is totally kick ass. Just a side note, before the Cl he had an RX-7.

About the suspension, I can get a good set of coilovers for $900 or less?

As far as pics go, I don't have a digital camera right now, but should be able to find one pretty soon. In the mean time, the Cl is blue in pristine condition, use your imagination.
holy shit. your gramps had an rx-7, went to a CL, and now to a 6spd TSX? HE'S a baller..

The best of the best (or so I hear) Is tein coilovers. Research those if your looking for an adjustable coilover system...

-Alex
Old 06-21-2005, 09:22 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
N1 rocks you mother fuckers! It doesnt sound ricey....it's just loud as hell, just the way I like it

$40 Ebay exhausts are ricey!

Please stay away from DC Sports if your looking to get gains from headers. They pretty much use the same damn stock diameter for the piping as your stock ones, which makes them LEGAL. Go with Kamikaze or something else. I bet you can find the headers for around 200, an AEM CAI for about 100 bucks, which would leave you a decent amount of money for the exhaust of your choice plus installation, and still have money left over.

If you live in SoCal, I can install your intake and headers at no cost, to save you some money. If you want me to help you look for your mods, let me know. Dont pay too much!!!

If your ever looking into getting pullies, don't get the AEM ones, if your looking into getting power from them. The only pulley worth the money is the crank pulley, which you can get from Urthodox Racing.

But as mentioned before, best bang for the buck is always nitrous....
Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 PM
2600lb CL

Also...if your really looking to have better results, I suggest you hold on to your money untill you come up withanother 300 bucks. Then you could go and buy an H22, egine alone most likely. I've seen them go for that price. Install would be around 500+ if it's just the engine.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:42 PM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Originally Posted by Cocoa
If you live in SoCal, I can install your intake and headers at no cost, to save you some money.

hey wtf...why do you charge me for installs then?!??!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:54 PM
how handsome I am

N1 rocks you mother fuckers! It doesnt sound ricey....it's just loud as hell, just the way I like it

$40 Ebay exhausts are ricey!

Please stay away from DC Sports if your looking to get gains from headers. They pretty much use the same damn stock diameter for the piping as your stock ones, which makes them LEGAL. Go with Kamikaze or something else. I bet you can find the headers for around 200, an AEM CAI for about 100 bucks, which would leave you a decent amount of money for the exhaust of your choice plus installation, and still have money left over.

If you live in SoCal, I can install your intake and headers at no cost, to save you some money. If you want me to help you look for your mods, let me know. Dont pay too much!!!

If your ever looking into getting pullies, don't get the AEM ones, if your looking into getting power from them. The only pulley worth the money is the crank pulley, which you can get from Urthodox Racing.

But as mentioned before, best bang for the buck is always nitrous....
never heard of these guys. Are OBX headers like the DCSports in that they are same diameter?

if so, I feel just a little bit
Old 06-21-2005, 10:29 PM
white 2.2 aka ghost

you never heard of them?? id say there fairly popular. but i never knew DC Sports header werent that much better than stock. does Greddy still make a header for an F22. b/c i remember back im the day when i had my 99 accord they used too.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:34 PM
2600lb CL

hey wtf...why do you charge me for installs then?!??!
lol....he dont even live in SoCal..it just makes it look good, thats all....lol....

btw 100 bucks for help on the black housing.....
Old 06-21-2005, 10:36 PM
2600lb CL

plus, intake and headers must be the easiest thing to do.....

and when did I quote on charging you on anything??? and on what? lol...
Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 AM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

btw 100 bucks for help on the black housing.....

holy shit...it was 40 bucks yesterday..wtf man...hahah Hey we have to have a Sol Cal meet before you leave
Old 06-22-2005, 12:42 AM
2600lb CL

LoL..I wasn't charging you for them....lol....didnt I say I'd give you 20 bucks for the inconvenience of the springs, lol. For sure we'll have a SoCal meet before I leave. I plan on going to the San Fran one on the 23rd of July (or the 25th, I forget).
Old 06-22-2005, 12:44 AM
2600lb CL

Oh, and btw Baller, if you want some Neuspeed Sport springs, they are going for 75 bucks! You can get em from hybridnrg. Its' a 1.75" drop in the front and 1.5" drop in the rear. But after they settle, its around 2 inches.

Quick Reply: First Preformance Upgrades for 97 2.2