Fender Bender...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fender Bender...

Was on my way to a party and was following someone up to the spot and I was parked a good 10 feet behind them meanwhile I walked up to their window to talk to em. It turned out the party was the other direction, and this guy had already been drinking and wasn't thinking and floored it in reverse in his old blazer. My lights were on and everything, but thats what happens when people drink, they don't think or pay attention to anything... Anyway, this is the damage.

It looks like the bumper might be able to be saved, and i'm not sure I can say the same for the hood...

I been talking to the guy, and he's saying some stupid stuff like "im thinkin shit happens when you go to parties and what happened is a little scrape, and its nothin to get worked up about and there isn't much to say" I want him to pay pretty much all of it, I don't see the need to get insurance involved, but I dunno what I'ma do. He's not really a "friend" more like an acquaintence, that i could care less about, especially after what he's saying about the whole incident.

Where would you guys reccommend either getting new/used parts such as a bumper/hood for replacement? I'm gonna call local junkers to see if they have any CL's that have these parts.

Anyway, lemme know what you think I should be doing.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:44 PM
1998 CL 3.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you couldn't care less about him you should have called the police and your insurance company. Now it's too late and he's going to weasel out because my guess is he couldn't care less about you either.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

The party was basically out on a mountain almost in the middle of nowhere. I wasn't going to bust up this party and get everyone MIP's. At the time he was saying don't worry that he'll handle it. Now it seems as if he does want to weasel out. And you can file claims within 30 days. Not sure how the police report or insurance claim would go though as he could easily lie and say i bumped into him or just say it wasn't him?

Theres one witness, but I'm not sure if they would testify as they've been friends with the guy who hit me for much longer, but I'm looking through my options for this. I know the guy who hit me would not want anything on his record inquiring him drinking or hitting me on his insurance, but how would they know if im lying or telling the truth, or vice versa with the guy who hit me.

Last edited by Kyanite; 05-15-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:18 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Be sure to get this guy good and fast before he changes his mind and says screw you.
You have a whole lot of time to file a report but no proof of what occured. That's what it comes down to. If you had called the cops you would have had an official paper stating party x smashed into you and they 100% at fault. With that it would have been sufficient to open a claim if you felt the need.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Pretty much u effed up you should have called the cops right away. You may be able to get something out of it if u call now. But im sure only if u get the witness to say so. Ask them if they would help you and go to the station right away before they can change their minds. If they say no then threaten that you will take action against them both him for the damage and the witness for contempt(make something up that sounds good). But yea Doesn't look good my friend.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I tried being the nice guy with someone that hit my car and i got screwed in the past. I hope this guy pays or at least works out somekind of deal with you.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
I don't think calling the cops would do any good. I had something similar happen to me a couple years ago. Some drunk redneck backed into my car at a restaurant. I called the cops and they said that since no one was injured and the cars were drivable, there's no reason to send an officer. I got his information and his insurance paid for the repairs plus a rental.

If the guy isn't cooperating, you may now be able to get the police involved. It almost sounds as if it's a hit and run and luckily you know who the guy is and where to locate him.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

I actually talked it out with the guy not too long ago, and he's manning up n paying for it. The hood and bumper I could do myself so it shouldn't be too expensive I hope. Kinda thinking of looking into a ViS hood, but it's like $750. And not too sure where I can get a deal on a bumper. I veto stealership pricing.

Or maybe just stay OEM hood. Painting the pieces would be the most pricey. Anyone know where I can get these parts for a good price? so I can ensure the guy pays
it all.

Last edited by Kyanite; 05-15-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:44 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you don't care about the guy, i'd still do insurance all the way.
if you're tryna find good prices and work, it'll take awhile, just make sure he doesn't try stalling untill you're past the time limit to make a claim
at the first hint of him not complying, make a claim

good luck
Old 05-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Hmmm. I'm seeing some VIS hoods for $450, but dunno what shipping is. Not sure if I might wanna go this route or not. Don't people complain about it fading or something? Plus I'd need to find hood pins... Oh well.

Last edited by Kyanite; 05-15-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
That sucks man, I need a new rear bumper for the exact same reason, my buddy backed his tail pipes right through mine
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I would try to get a recording of him talking about the accident even if its him saying anything but "what accident are you talking about, I wasn't in no accident". Because that would be a normal response from someone that wasn't in an accident. If he says its your word against mine or I aint paying anything because you didn't call the cops or what ever then you may be able win in small claims court because it is just that they believe your evidence a little more then they believe his. It was a great mistake not calling the cops when it happened or at least getting him to sign a promissory note on the spot saying he would be responsible for damages or it was his fault
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

He was drunk, he wouldn't of signed jack lol.

And I got txt messages as evidence. If need be

I just got 2 estimates for ~$1500, so it might benefit him to go through insurance if he can't pay. Maybe netter for both.

Last edited by Kyanite; 05-17-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

UPDATE: Taking the car into the shop Wednesday afternoon. He's putting a down payment on it and paying the rest when they are done. I probably won't be able to get it back til after memorial weekend.

I'm getting a new OEM bumper and spray job. New OEM drivers side headlight and they're going to try n save the hood. If they can't then it's a new OEM one to be sprayed.

Total is like $1540 on the estimate, which may change depending on the hood situation.

I'm just glad it's all getting worked out finally with no issues.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyanite
UPDATE: Taking the car into the shop Wednesday afternoon. He's putting a down payment on it and paying the rest when they are done. I probably won't be able to get it back til after memorial weekend.

I'm getting a new OEM bumper and spray job. New OEM drivers side headlight and they're going to try n save the hood. If they can't then it's a new OEM one to be sprayed.

Total is like $1540 on the estimate, which may change depending on the hood situation.

I'm just glad it's all getting worked out finally with no issues.
Wow, the guy is gonna pay for it out of pocket? Or is his insurance taking care of it?
Old 05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Intermediate

that really sux. i hope the dude comes thru and takes care of it cuz its a really shitty situation. he backed into you drunk but you have no proof of that...
Old 05-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
Wow, the guy is gonna pay for it out of pocket? Or is his insurance taking care of it?
Outta pocket partna
Old 05-24-2010, 10:20 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Glad it's working out for you.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Instructor

dude.. i ha a similar bender this weekend.. guy in a csx backed into me at a stop sign ( yes thts right, either he was drunk ot didnt know how to drive stick)

but yea hood is bowed in under the grill making it bulge at the sides, not sure if the shop can fix it or whether replace the hood., crappy deal
Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 PM
1998 CL 3.0

Good deal
Old 05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

id make him put it in writing
Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Someone grazed my rear bumper at my college parking lot... No idea who they are so I'm pretty much screwed.

But I hope it all works out for you man. Looks like it's going good so far.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Sooo... It turns out that if I turned my car in today, they wouldn't be able to have it back to me until next Friday as they aren't working all memorial weekend and there's already a few appointments ahead of me.

I'm taking it in on the 7th and should be getting it back the 10th. It's not like the car doesn't run, so this is actually better. I'm without the car for 3 days rather than 1 1/2 weeks.

The guy paid for half of it today, and is paying the other half when it's all said and done.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
good stuff man, glad it all worked out for ya

drunk drivers ftl

hope everything with the repair pulls through smoothly in 3 days
Old 06-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Advanced

well i got a n 1997 just ini and needs a front bumper a grill and left adn right side inner fender liners.. i am working on the car it is a 5 spd.. it is a canadan car... so it should be ok for now only 125,000 miles on it goign to do the belts and change all the fluids... i did notice the rear quater starting to rust..

need to know where to get the bumper really cheap and i will paint it later and need right front headlight it ius all fogged up
Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
fogged up head light is an easy fix. They sell the polish stuff at the parts stores for about 20 bucks (thats everything including sand paper and polishing wheel) and it is allot cheaper than changing the whole head light. I thought I was going to have to change mine as well because when i got it it looked like someone took sand paper to it and scratched it all up but I got this kit and now it looks great
Old 06-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yea i just do 1000 grit then 1500 grit then polish and buffer looks like new then. So an update on the op's car
Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Just got back from dropping it off and their "night drop" area. I'll most likely get a call from them tomorrow, but hopefuly the car is ready by Wednesday afternoon as planned.

The bumper you can get for like $200 shipped from Acura Part Source I believe is their name. It's reconditioned, primered black, and ready to paint. I've seen one of their ad's here on AZine, it says somethin like "Number One for your OEM Acura Part needs" or something.

And werd. Fogged lights can be fixed by wetsanding, there's many threads on here about it if you search. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Racer

i dented my bumper the other day too, it must be that kinda month for Cl's it was my fault tho tried to do a reverse J-turn on a main road in the rain(don't ask) car fixed itself tho dents just gone.. idk
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by purple3.0haze
i dented my bumper the other day too, it must be that kinda month for Cl's it was my fault tho tried to do a reverse J-turn on a main road in the rain(don't ask) car fixed itself tho dents just gone.. idk
omg same here! After someone hit my bumper in the parking lot, it was pushed in at the corner and the next morning, it was popped out and looked fine. Just a 3 inch blemish that's not that bad. I could probably touch it up since I have a couple of spray bombs of Cyprus Green Pearl laying around somewhere.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

UPDATE: Got a call today saying the hood cannot be fixed... Now it's gonna be an extra 3 days or so cuz it'll take 2 days to ship over to the shop and then the painting process/dry time of the hood. I'm really hoping it's ready by Friday, I got Graduation stuff going on Saturday.

I want my baby back
How do you guys who have here gone for months deal with it? haha.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 PM
V-DUB TECH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tell them not to fix you the hood and have them credit you the left over $$. Then buy a CF hood

I was going to do this, but they were able to pull my hood and straighten it when i had my fender bender.

good to see it's getting fixed though

good luck

mike
Old 06-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Meh, I'm actually not a huge fan of CF. At first it did seem appealing, but I really want everything to be clean, and a CF hood would throw things off in my eyes. I'll probably still have my roof painted black though eventually.

It would have been a good idea though.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyanite
I want my baby back
How do you guys who have here gone for months deal with it? haha.
It's hard, but having another car to drive helps a ton
Old 06-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Stay Low Pro Kinfolk

Finally got the car back today. A week after what was expected, due to minor problems. Hood was replaced entirely, and repainted. The bumper was actually fixed, so it's still the same one I had before, but repainted. I also got my drivers side headlight replaced. I still need to swap housings, with the old one, and I'm about to purchase a new passenger side light, as I scratched up the lens from the inside. If anyone is selling the passenger side light, or has an extra lens hit me up!

Well, pictures speak louder than words:

I love the way it all turned out. The paint is so nice, the front looks like a brand new car, minus the scratched up lens on the passenger side. I'll be re-blackhousing once I get the other light, so I can do em both at once. For now, I'm gonna roll as is.

They also burned out my LED's in the drivers side bumper corner, and replaced em with some orange ones. I'm gonna have to order new ones this weekend. Also, I kinda just noticed my plate is bent a little bit, but I'm gonna take that bitch off pretty soon.

Once again, I had to pay for none of this, so thank you for hitting me kind sir. Haha.

Last edited by Kyanite; 06-18-2010 at 01:48 PM.