Drifting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drifting?

anyone on this forum kno how to drift? does it have anything to do with understeer?? i also own a celica, and sometimes when i turn, the front tires..i dont kno about the rear..but the front tend to slide a little bit. its quite fun...just wondering if anyone knew how to control it
Old 10-29-2001, 10:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Not going too fast, pull up on your hand brake and turn....that ought to send you in a slide. Please try this where you have a lot of room and safely do this.....otherwise I wouldn't do it for fear of hitting something/someone
Old 10-29-2001, 11:12 PM

Or find some snow and have a bunch of fun, with out trashing tires.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:00 AM
Ham Sandwich

driftings hard to do effectively in a front wheel drive car.. the beamer on the other hand drifts like a champ with the dynamic stability control (DSC, Traction Control) turned off
Old 10-30-2001, 12:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's all you have to do. 1. Go get some wire cutters. 2. Cut your brake lines. 3. Go out into the street and floor it. I'm pretty sure that you'll be doing some drifting then!!!!!!!! May not be the kind of drift you want but you will definitely be drifting!!!. :P
Old 10-30-2001, 01:42 AM
Burning Brakes

haha funnie repo. I heard that to intiate the drift, you have to transfer the weight from the back to the front of the car...by by braking, giving the front more traction...and turn or something...but i was wondering if anyone knew how to do a four wheel drift, without using the side brake. Nothing major..just like a powerslide, but without any drastic speed loss.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:12 AM
Thats my Girl!!

ok heres how to do!!
1. reach speed about 30-40 mph
2. hit brake really quick at the same time turn the steering wheel to which every way you want to go
ex.. to go right turn right, left turn left
when you turn your steering wheel turn about 90degree really quick!! thats key
3. then when you feel your car is about to do 180. press gas pedel and then correct your steering !!! you probaly have to come to 180 on your steering from your 90 position.
4. press gas or release gas as it needs
5. heres the thing during drift you never press break!!! member that. all that will do is 180.
6. repeat steps 1-5 as you need to rush your blood pressure up!!
hehehe try that and let me know how it goes
Old 10-30-2001, 02:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

the big part of the powerslide is having some power being applied to the rear wheels... that is what keeps the car going. a fwd will never drift like a rwd car because the front wheels always pull instad of push.

when your tieres start to slide the car is telling you that you should let off the gas. if yoy keep going the front of the car will either skip across the road or you hit the brakes and the rear of the car will come around the front. you should not do that unless you have some dire need to replace your car. trust me i got close to doing it in my first car. i was just lucky there was no oncoming traffic or i didnt hit a tree.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
yup very important that you don't hit your brake. Your car will break loose and you most likely, judging on how fast you are going, will lose control. That's why I said do it on a road with a lot of room....and not a thing in site!
Old 10-30-2001, 07:39 AM
Midnight Marauder

Don't even do it on a road for that matter. Even on a road you may have curbs or ditches to contend with. For the first time you do it you definitly want to be in some sort of totally empty parking lot. Try a lot at 1:00 AM after or in the rain. Then whip your car around and feel what it is doing. I actually recommend this for anyone who really wants to know how to drive, you'll learn what it feels like to lose control and what it feels like to regain control or maintain control. Yes, the snow is the best time to do it though.

In a rear wheel drive car you just need to whip the steering and give it gas to get it into a slide, the more gas you give it, the more the rear will come around to the front, when you let off the gas, you'll regain traction and go straight again. (hitting the e-brake on a rear wheel won't do as good, just tap the regular brakes to shift the weight onto the front and punch the gas while turning) make sure you countersteer when you get sideways, and ease out of the countersteer or you'll get real squirlly.
It'll work at slow speeds too so don't think you need to get up to 40 mph in a parking lot.

For front wheel drive you can easily get sideways by sharply steering and quickly "punching" the e-brake. This locks up only the rear wheels and breaks traction for a second and then you're off the brake so you don't really slow down a ton. When you have slid as much as you want, punch the gas while countersteering to pull yourself out of the slide, you'll then be heading in the direction you want to go.

When it snowed and sometimes when it rained I used to do this with my old Honda as I pulled into my driveway or even in a parking lot (not too close to other cars) just for the fun of it. I basically slide sideways and then I time it so that as my car becomes perpendicular to my driveway I can punch the gas and shoot straight again into my parking spot. When executed correctly, and when your passenger doesn't know you are going to do it it can create quite a response from them and any bystanders.

WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF RALLY!
Old 10-30-2001, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks guys. so the main thing is to not brake during a quick turn right? yea i also used to have a 85 rx7, and hit the brakes during a quick turn cuz of panic, and swerved like crazy outa control...but its totally different with FF...it feels like the rear might pop out any second.