doing your own paint work

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 05:07 AM
El Donko of Punchstania

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doing your own paint work

has anyone here painted their own wings west front lip? how much of a pain in the ass is it?
Old 10-15-2003, 05:23 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Re: doing your own paint work

Originally posted by nujunglist
has anyone here painted their own wings west front lip? how much of a pain in the ass is it?
If you never painted before, or knows somebody who painted before. I wouldn't recommend it, you need lots of equiment and cost of paint is not cheap.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:31 AM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: doing your own paint work

Originally posted by fusionnv
and cost of paint is not cheap.
its not really the paint that costs the most, you just think that, ask, any pro, the clear is the most expensive of them all, if they buy the right shit and do it right
Old 10-15-2003, 09:02 AM
Racer

97Acura3.0CL is right. Cost of paint really isn't that much.

Well here's a projection for a Base Coat/Clear Coat application:

1 Gal PPG Omni Urethane Primer $35
-Hardener $30
1 Gal PPG Omni Urethane Basecoat $35
-Reducer $30
1 Gal PPG Omni Urethane Clear Coat $40
-Hardener $45

Pearls (if wanted): $20 per 6 ounce, more than enough for entire car.
Flakes: about $50. More work is involved with flakes as after the first clear coat has cured it will have to be sanded down as the flakes will cause bumpiness.

DeVilBiss (or of similar quality) HVLP Paint gun $135

If you don't have a 5hp compressor then don't even try on painting.

The above are the basics you will need to paint. BTW, the quantity here is as follows:

1 gal Primer: about 2 coats of whole car
1 Gal Basecoat: about 2-3 coats of whole car
1 Gal Clear: about 2-3 coats of whole car

So this is more than enough. Autobody suppliers do supply in smaller quantities so it may be cheaper, but for me, I chose value (ratio of price to paint) than smaller quantity with a little higher price. I can always use the paint.

Anyhow hope this helps you in your endeavors.

Good luck,
James
Old 10-15-2003, 09:12 AM
Homeless

All paint is expensive these days, clear or otherwise. But, since it's only a small part that's being painted...it shouldn't be too bad. Afterall, you're painting with OEM colors...so that is very reasonable(pearls & iridescents cost bukoo bucks).

Only real issues with painting yourself(with no experience) is prep work & where to paint. You can rent the equipment, so no worries there.

1. Prep is extremely important. You have to buy the right reducer & cleaner that jives with your type of paint. You've got to make sure you buy the appropriate paint for the material you're painting. Does it need a flex agent? Does it need to be primed? Do you need to do some filler work to the kit? Etc...

2. Where is important also...you need a very clean area...free of dust & dirt(spraying kicks up anything on the floor, etc, etc). You also need to consider overspray, repirators, some overalls & plenty of silicone gloves.

After all that...you may be better off just having your local "sand & shoot" do it for a couple hundred...depending on your skill & how much of the supplies you already have on hand.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Homeless

Originally posted by athlonxp
97Acura3.0CL is right. Cost of paint really isn't that much.

Well here's a projection for a Base Coat/Clear Coat application:

1 Gal PPG Omni Urethane Primer $35
-Hardener $30
1 Gal PPG Omni Urethane Basecoat $35
-Reducer $30
1 Gal PPG Omni Urethane Clear Coat $40
-Hardener $45

Pearls (if wanted): $20 per 6 ounce, more than enough for entire car.
Flakes: about $50. More work is involved with flakes as after the first clear coat has cured it will have to be sanded down as the flakes will cause bumpiness.

DeVilBiss (or of similar quality) HVLP Paint gun $135

If you don't have a 5hp compressor then don't even try on painting.

The above are the basics you will need to paint. BTW, the quantity here is as follows:

1 gal Primer: about 2 coats of whole car
1 Gal Basecoat: about 2-3 coats of whole car
1 Gal Clear: about 2-3 coats of whole car

So this is more than enough. Autobody suppliers do supply in smaller quantities so it may be cheaper, but for me, I chose value (ratio of price to paint) than smaller quantity with a little higher price. I can always use the paint.

Anyhow hope this helps you in your endeavors.

Good luck,
James
James...good info buddy. Looks like we posted at same time...
Old 10-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Comrade Stalin

Originally posted by chris3240929
All paint is expensive these days, clear or otherwise. But, since it's only a small part that's being painted...it shouldn't be too bad. Afterall, you're painting with OEM colors...so that is very reasonable(pearls & iridescents cost bukoo bucks).

Only real issues with painting yourself(with no experience) is prep work & where to paint. You can rent the equipment, so no worries there.

1. Prep is extremely important. You have to buy the right reducer & cleaner that jives with your type of paint. You've got to make sure you buy the appropriate paint for the material you're painting. Does it need a flex agent? Does it need to be primed? Do you need to do some filler work to the kit? Etc...

2. Where is important also...you need a very clean area...free of dust & dirt(spraying kicks up anything on the floor, etc, etc). You also need to consider overspray, repirators, some overalls & plenty of silicone gloves.

After all that...you may be better off just having your local "sand & shoot" do it for a couple hundred...depending on your skill & how much of the supplies you already have on hand. [/B]

Mine is Cypress Green Pearl...no cheepo paint for me...
Old 10-15-2003, 11:05 AM
Racer

not true at all the clear is not more expensive then the paint n this is comin from a guy who works at an auto body shop my dad owns!! o and one more thing omni clear sux!!! if i was you i would take it to someone who knows about painting so you dont fuck it up and wind up spending even more money!
Old 10-15-2003, 11:06 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally posted by clracer97
not true at all the clear is not more expensive then the paint n this is comin from a guy who works at an auto body shop my dad owns!! o and one more thing omni clear sux!!! if i was you i would take it to someone who knows about painting so you dont fuck it up and wind up spending even more money!
Yeah, it all u want to do it just the spoiler and nutting fancy with it, maybe it be best to just take it to a shop before the upfront cost are a bit high.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:13 PM
who got the best deal?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heres an economical point of view, let say you do it and spend 100 bucks on material and 5 hours of your time and it comes out fucked up. than u gotta take it to a pro who woudl have charged you 200 to do it,unless you have real damn good experience with painting. its like they say if you gotta ask you cant do it.