Custom CAI idea vs. traditional CAI - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom CAI idea vs. traditional CAI - Need Advice

Need some advice on a custom CAI vs. a manufactured one. I have a friend who builds race cars for a living, and he suggested we make a custom one because AEM and the like are overpriced.

Since I already bought a K&N, but the rectangle-kind that replaces the stock air filter, we decided to use it in this setup. Basically he wants to run a tube from the front grill on my car to the existing K&N. I'm not sure if he means plastic or metal tubing, but he did say a tube is a tube.

The (possible) advantages are:

1.) Keep my existing K&N and not have to buy a new one. He didn't seem to think there would be much difference between the rectangle shape and the semi-coned shape that comes with traditional CAI. Because I'm keeping the existing K&N, and its not going to be placed near the ground, it will remain cleaner.
2.) The "cold air" will be coming directly from the front of the car, and from a little bit higher off the ground which should reduce air temperature further as the air right next to the ground is hotter.
3.) More cost-effective.

The (possible) disadvantages are:

1.) Perhaps the peformance (HP gain) might not be as good?
2.) It is my understanding that traditional CAI requires removal of the resonator box. Since the current K&N is in the resonator box (right?) it will remain, and thus the sound alteration may be different.

What does everyone think? Even if I were to try this I would think a metal tube would be better than plastic, or does it matter? Please correct me on any facts I may have wrong and I'm curious if anyone else would try this or should I just get the AEM?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are willing to try it , I would do it. I know a guy who built the pipes and tubes for his turbo setup on a civic and it is working fine.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
my buddy made his own for his civic too and he said it worked like a charm
Old 02-07-2005, 05:19 PM
NAWWWWSSSSSS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i were going to do that i would bend pipe from the intake to the intake "box" aslo
Old 02-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Flap.

most of the gains are from the filter, and then secondly the restriction in the piping, you have already replaced the filter, but have not delt with the restriction between the throttle body to the air box, get a v2 and call it a day
Old 02-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Cruisin'

I would love a v2, but I don't really want to spend that much on this upgrade. If I could pick up a like-new v1 AEM for around $100 should I just do that instead of trying to fool with this idea?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Flap.

Originally Posted by Dasmius
I would love a v2, but I don't really want to spend that much on this upgrade. If I could pick up a like-new v1 AEM for around $100 should I just do that instead of trying to fool with this idea?

we the difference between the thing you want to make and the v1 is prolly the same as the difference between the v1 and v2, if you believe aem. so it really depends what you want...

something ive learned the hard way is, do it right the first time.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Like said above most of the gain comes from the cone style filter and the solid straight through design of the pipe. In my opinion if you keep the box filter then your not going to gain anything more then 2hp. If I were you id get him to build you a cai like the aem ones and buy a new k&n cone filter. And also again most of the gain is from the smooth piping that is used, so use metal and make it so the air can travel from the filter to the throttle body easily with no restriction. Smooth bends instead of a sharp 90 degree angle will help. And also if you want to add a nice finishing touch go to autozone or whatever and get some heat resistant paint and paint the intake tube. The paint will protect it, look better and also will keep the intake piping alittle cooler making the air move faster which makes more power. I have an AEM CAI intake and ive helped some of my friends make intakes before so if you need anymore help then just email me at byker210@aol.com.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CLover210
Like said above most of the gain comes from the cone style filter and the solid straight through design of the pipe. In my opinion if you keep the box filter then your not going to gain anything more then 2hp. If I were you id get him to build you a cai like the aem ones and buy a new k&n cone filter. And also again most of the gain is from the smooth piping that is used, so use metal and make it so the air can travel from the filter to the throttle body easily with no restriction. Smooth bends instead of a sharp 90 degree angle will help. And also if you want to add a nice finishing touch go to autozone or whatever and get some heat resistant paint and paint the intake tube. The paint will protect it, look better and also will keep the intake piping alittle cooler making the air move faster which makes more power. I have an AEM CAI intake and ive helped some of my friends make intakes before so if you need anymore help then just email me at byker210@aol.com.
1. Is the cone-style vs. the stock rectangle kind that much better? (I agree if you keep the box it would probably suck). But strictly the two styles compared, is the cone really better? I've been told the whole idea of it supposedly getting air from 360 degrees is marketing crap.

2. Another theory regarding this custom-style CAI is that because its getting the air directly from the grill, rather than near the tire, will there be any additional gain in HP due to the almost "ram-air" like method of it?

Your suggestion would require me buying a new K&N cone filter for (I'm guessing) around $50. For only $50 more I can just get the real deal AEM tubing as well (slightly used) and avoid this whole custom fabrication process. What do you think?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Yeah, either get a used one or make a cai. also the advantage of the cone filter isnt really it sucking from 360 degrees, its more from the piping and how the filter is connected to it. With a rectangle filter you cant efficiently connect it to the piping without there being more resistance, thats why people use the cone style filter.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Cruisin'

After doing some reading I see the resonator and the air box are different. So the air filter actually sits in the air box, not the resonator. So basically I think I should be able to remove the resonator box as normal, but leave the stock air box with the upgraded drop-in K&N and just run a metal tube from the air box to the front grill.

Would this basically accomplish the same thing as traditional CAI? I guess basically my question still boils down to this:

Is the cone-style vs. drop-in air filter really any better? I can't find any proof one way or the other. Somebody who knows please help!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Cruisin'

Oops. I was posting at the same time you were, lol.

It sounds logical that the air would flow better via the cone style and then directly into the tube, rather than directly into a tube into the stock air box, through the drop-in kind and then into the engine. Sounds like the later would be a little less efficient, but I doubt by a whole lot (it's not like CAI adds a lot in the first place).

Anyway, this isn't worth all the hassel. I'm just going to get a used AEM and call it good. Thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 09:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dasmius
Anyway, this isn't worth all the hassel. I'm just going to get a used AEM and call it good. Thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Racer

How's this food for thought??? This is for all you 3.0 CL'ers with a short ram and want to make a CAI.

Stock manifold pipe, short ram intake turned around.

Have Fun