CL Problems. Acura Knows! Do you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Unhappy CL Problems. Acura Knows! Do you?

So..... We got the Recall Notice about the ignition switch. Made an appointment at our local Acura dealer to have it replaced. Took it down this morning. We also mentioned the EGR recall. We've been running with the "Check Engine" light on for a few weeks. The service guy agreed that the EGR is a problem and a recall on every 3.0CL. But the warranty covers it to 80,000 miles. I'm at 90. Also they agreed that the tranny is bound to take a shit at around 90,000 miles.
AND CHECK THIS OUT!!!

My girl has been complaining about a squeel from the rear. I pulled both rear wheels off. I expected worn brakes but the outer pad had plenty left. I pulled the caliper and caliper mount. BAMM!! The slider pin that the caliper moves on was seized. This caused the inner pad to not release from the rotor. The inner pad was completely gone. Down to the metal. I bought new pads. I had to use a vice and a hammer to remove the pin that should normally slide out freely. It was completely rusted. And where lubrication would normally be.... There was none. In total dismay I removed the other side. Guess what I found..!! Same shit. Even worse. We brought this up also this morning with Acura. Yeah.. They know all about it.

It makes me feel great to know that Acura is fully aware that my EGR is faulty, my ignition switch is bad, my tranny will leave me stranded in Timbuktoo, and that my rear brakes will seize up at any time!
Old 01-19-2005, 01:14 PM
CAFFEINE SLAVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long have you had your CL?

if you got it from a dealer recently, they should have taken care of the EGR & ignition before they sold it to you....those recalls have been out for several years
Old 01-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

BTW how do u check if they did the recall?
Lemme rephrase, how do i check to see if its been done, without talking to guy who checks you in at the dealership.
Im friendsies with the acura mechanic by my house, so even if im past recall miles, i think i can still do it.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor

If the recall has been seviced by an Acura Dealer it will be recorded. I recommend registering your CL on Acura's website. It will show you all records that Acura has on your car. Honda's also. It's called Acura Owner Link.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura

It is free to register with Owner Link. You need to have your VIN# on hand.
Please check your CL's.

Please let me know what other problems you have been having with your CL. Any comments are appreciated.

Also let me know if you need more info on the rear brake problem. I have pictures that may help.

-Travis.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Man im upset, the person who owned the car b4 me didnt take the car to the stealership at all. I doenst show a recall on the EGR, only the ignition. Maybe its a 3.0 recall only.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
obviosuly not maintained properly

stop ranting and start fixing
Old 01-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
obviosuly not maintained properly

stop ranting and start fixing
I kno, i know. The idiot b4 me had a "speed chip" installed on the ECU. Dont know the technical term, it puts the ECU in 'diagnostic' mode. It made my car throw vtec errors. But its allll good now.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm BACK!! Picked up the CL from the dealership. Another dude was there with his '97 3.0CL. The dealership didn't even tell him that his car had recalls. He overheard my girl and I talking. The service dude got pissed when he went back to the counter to inquire about the ignition and EGR recalls. Why wouldn't they just TELL the man??

AND... They fucked up my remote start. The service dude swears it wasn't touched. It worked when I brought it in. Doesn't work now. Hmmmm...

THEN... We see a blue TL Type-S. Inquire on trading in the CL. They wanna give us a fat $6500.00 bucks.!! You gotta be outta you damn mind!! So you can turn around and sell MY car for $14,000? Right! Eat shit you fucking SALES PERSON.

Best Wishes,
Travdiggity.

P.S. Fuck off.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Flap.

Originally Posted by uncald4
I'm BACK!! Picked up the CL from the dealership. Another dude was there with his '97 3.0CL. The dealership didn't even tell him that his car had recalls. He overheard my girl and I talking. The service dude got pissed when he went back to the counter to inquire about the ignition and EGR recalls. Why wouldn't they just TELL the man??

AND... They fucked up my remote start. The service dude swears it wasn't touched. It worked when I brought it in. Doesn't work now. Hmmmm...

THEN... We see a blue TL Type-S. Inquire on trading in the CL. They wanna give us a fat $6500.00 bucks.!! You gotta be outta you damn mind!! So you can turn around and sell MY car for $14,000? Right! Eat shit you fucking SALES PERSON.

Best Wishes,
Travdiggity.

P.S. Fuck off.

for a trade in on a 90k mile cl 6500 is pretty good... you could probably sell it privately for 8 tops. this is just imo and in my area of course.

sucks you got a shitted up car, why didnt you have the dealer look it over before you purchased it though?

oh and for 14k you can buy a 2nd gen
Old 01-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Im No Superman

im @ 57 or 58k miles now.. im a 2nd owner and my warrantee is a 3rd party ( i didnt get it from a dealer) .. am i still eligible for those recalls? hows that stuff work?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm a llama :(

The recall says nothing about the brakes, but I have the same problem...any more info on that?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:18 PM
112K and on 1st tranny!

wow.....lots of hate in you man......

ever stop to think that dealers service thousands of vehicles, and if there are similar fixes on the same car....the dealer would "know" about it? DUH....

go look up recalls for the GM line of products in america alone for fiscal year 2003......over 1,400,000 vehicles affected. Every manufacturer has recalls. Cars are made by people. People make mistakes. You ever made a mistake at your job? How would you like someone to cuss you out and take a shit on your desk every time you "fucked up"?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Burn you with a 2.2

hello, just wanted to know if any of the recalls apply to the 2.2s? thanks!
Old 01-20-2005, 12:30 AM
98 2.3cl

the reason your remote start isn't working is probably becuase they dislodged the ring that goes around your key cylinder from your bypass module when they were doing the ignition recall fix- at least that's what they did to mine when I took it in to have the recall work done. It's a pretty easy fix if you know what you're doing- or just take it back to where you had it installed and have them fix it- they should do it for free- just dont mention that you have had someone else mess with it. You'll be able to tell that it's a problem with your bypass module if when you remote start it your car trys to start but wont fully turnover- and it will start when you remote start it with the key in the ignition in the off position.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by h2o-pr00f
im @ 57 or 58k miles now.. im a 2nd owner and my warrantee is a 3rd party ( i didnt get it from a dealer) .. am i still eligible for those recalls? hows that stuff work?
Yep. Up to 80k. Take it to the dealership and tell them that the interlock, key switch, and EGR all need to be replaced. And make sure you get a loaner car! Ask them about the brakes and the tranny issues too. But don't be surprised when he plays stupid.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by InstallerJohn
the reason your remote start isn't working is probably becuase they dislodged the ring that goes around your key cylinder from your bypass module when they were doing the ignition recall fix- at least that's what they did to mine when I took it in to have the recall work done. It's a pretty easy fix if you know what you're doing- or just take it back to where you had it installed and have them fix it- they should do it for free- just dont mention that you have had someone else mess with it. You'll be able to tell that it's a problem with your bypass module if when you remote start it your car trys to start but wont fully turnover- and it will start when you remote start it with the key in the ignition in the off position.
Are you referring to my 556U? Or do you think they pulled something at the factory security module. I do this for a living, man. But thanks for the info. It's good to have another owner like you that knows what the hell they're talking about. --InstallerTravis
Old 01-20-2005, 12:46 AM
Im No Superman

Yep. Up to 80k. Take it to the dealership and tell them that the interlock, key switch, and EGR all need to be replaced. And make sure you get a loaner car! Ask them about the brakes and the tranny issues too. But don't be surprised when he plays stupid.
sweet im a do that after i get my maintenence done
Old 01-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Im No Superman

sweet im a go after i get my maintenance done
Old 01-20-2005, 12:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DrDre1443
wow.....lots of hate in you man......

ever stop to think that dealers service thousands of vehicles, and if there are similar fixes on the same car....the dealer would "know" about it? DUH....

go look up recalls for the GM line of products in america alone for fiscal year 2003......over 1,400,000 vehicles affected. Every manufacturer has recalls. Cars are made by people. People make mistakes. You ever made a mistake at your job? How would you like someone to cuss you out and take a shit on your desk every time you "fucked up"?
word...people complain way too much - it's a car and cars break. It's called wear and tear. And here's some news - the older you car gets, the more problems you'll have. My gf has a 2004 CLk and she's had numerous problems - just how it is. It does sounds like your dealership is a problem and not ACURA - they should have taken care of the recalls. At the same time, Most dealerships I know make a pretty good effort to send out recall notices or contact owners. It's just that once ownership changes hands, it's a little difficul t to contact the new owner.

I do have to say though - I have 145,000 miles and no major problems and no transmission problems. And I drive my car hard every once in awhile. The only things I've had to do besides routine maintenance is change the alternator and both window regualtors. And the recall services - overall nothing that's a big deal.

ANd II've said this before but you only read complaints posted - I bet there are more people with CL's over 75,000 miles who have had few problems than have had major ones.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Yer dumb.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this reminds me of that part in Fight Club where edward norton is telling the black lady on the plane about the "recal thing". Cracks me up every time.

I love fight club.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Word.

After much thought... The 1999 Red Acura 3.0 CL came home one last time. We removed all the add-ons except a few. It shall return to the dealership early tomorrow morn. Sorry girl. I'm just not ready for the inevitable repair bills.

Today we bought a 2003 Blue 3.2TL Type-S. So tastey!!

Sorry guys. Too many problems. My Civic is laughing its ass off as I write this.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:15 AM
Former Sponsor

P.S.

I have a custom black vinyl wrapped fiberglass encloser to fit a single 10" sub in the left pocket of the trunk. A 2 month old JL Audio 10W0-4. A 6 disc Alpine Changer with the Honda/Acura adapter. An Audio Control 3XS. An Alpine 300 watt sub amp (MRV-100M).

All of these toys I removed from the CL tonight. Figured I'd give you fella's the heads up before I put 'em up on ebay.

Let me know if you want pics. I'll email them to you.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:24 AM
Intermediate

are these 3.0's only??
Old 01-20-2005, 07:19 AM
CAFFEINE SLAVE

you can use this link: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/01/98011131.html

go toward the bottom of the page and change the year or engine to see if it applys to you
Old 01-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Please register you CL on the Acura Owner Link (link) that I posted earlier. It will tell you what recalls are on your car that have not been repaired. And will notify you if a recall has been issued at a later time.

If you have a 3.0CL with less than 80,000 miles on it please take it in to get it serviced. It's free. But would normally be about $500 bucks to have it done otherwise.

Every CL uses the same rear caliper. Check it soon. Or get it checked soon. It caused about $800 in damage to the rear. Over a grand to have the dealership fix it. If you wanna know what to look for. PM me. I'll send you all the pics. Very detailed.

-Thanks for the fun y'alls. Don't be strangers now! I'm only a letter away!!

www.Acura-TL.com
Old 01-21-2005, 01:33 AM

I registered and it sayw nothing about rear calipers. I hope it didn't do any damage like that.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:03 PM
112K and on 1st tranny!

gee...thanks for informing us all of something we all knew of for years. Hopefully the TL guys don't burn your dumb ass too bad.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:50 AM
Former Sponsor

So... You knew that you rear calipers would seize up? Right. I'm sure that you'd rather have a broke down CL than a TL-S with 260hp and all the goods. You must be the guru here. Bring your CL up my block any day bro. Don't frown when I hand you your ass in a zip-loc baggy.

Peace. Let me know if you need directions.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Owner-Link is the way to go. Acura is good about taking care of its customers. Though, I know what it means when you buy a car second owner and it has a major failure. The prev owner of my '98 CL 3.0 never had the tranny serviced. It failed two-weeks after I purchased the car. Acura would not fix it, so I shelled out the cash, though they did do the Ignition, shift-interlock and balljoint recalls. No problems with my EGR.

Let the hatred go... If you had bought the car brand new, ACURA would have treated you like royalty... Buying second or even third in line, you become more like a surf. But don't dispare. once you get it done, the car is awsome. And you remember why you bought it in the first place. For me, how it turns heads at stop lights.

Cardith Blue-green Pearl. 98 3.0 CL premium.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:17 PM
112K and on 1st tranny!

actually, I knew of several cases of calipers seizing put but it wasn't enough cases to warrant any action by acura and I have 105K miles on mine with no problems thank you. And my tranny is great, how is your holding up.

I wouldn't talk all that shit b/c you think you got all that power. I'll go with a tl type-s ANY DAY.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:28 PM

actually, I knew of several cases of calipers seizing put but it wasn't enough cases to warrant any action by acura and I have 105K miles on mine with no problems thank you. And my tranny is great, how is your holding up.

I wouldn't talk all that shit b/c you think you got all that power. I'll go with a tl type-s ANY DAY.
Dude, chill. What did he say that was so wrong?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey y'alls. What's new? It's been almost a week since the CL went BYE BYE. I feel bad for the next owner of that time-bomb. The new TL Type-S we got is way sick!! You guys gotta drive that thing!! Funny thing though. It's also under recall for the tranny. Owner Link says it's been fixed and it's still under warranty. Acura extended the tranny warranty on the TL to 100,000 miles. SWEET.

You guys got one up on the TL though. The BOSE system in the Type-S makes the CL sound like a concert studio. TL BOSE licks ballz.

Good Luck and have fun with your coupes. You guys take it easy.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:29 AM

Such a nice guy
Old 01-25-2005, 01:55 AM
112K and on 1st tranny!

?????try reading his post again???????

"...Right. I'm sure that you'd rather have a broke down CL than a TL-S with 260hp and all the goods. You must be the guru here..."

since when do stock TL-S's blow away moderately modded 3.0's?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:20 PM

?????try reading his post again???????

"...Right. I'm sure that you'd rather have a broke down CL than a TL-S with 260hp and all the goods. You must be the guru here..."

since when do stock TL-S's blow away moderately modded 3.0's?

Why wouldn't it? It has 60 more horsepower. No bolt on is going to give the 3.0 60 more HP.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:44 PM
112K and on 1st tranny!

ummmm...b/c stock TL-S's put down about 210WHP, I put down 190WHP, TL's weigh more.

and once again........."BLOW AWAY"??? don't think so.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

You guys calm down, please... We are all ACURA owners here. As for CL vs. TL, two very different cars with streengths and weaknesses. REMEMBER: They are cars, they are our cars, and because they are ACURAs, they kick ass. PS. sorry about the BOSE in the TL, I hated the Alpine head unit and bought a bad-ass JVC MP3 CD unit. works perfectly with BOSE amps.

peace out, keep on racing.