Check Engine light...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine light...

I can't believe I haven't asked this already, but it just occured to me today.

My check engine light came on and has since been on since 2 weeks after purchasing the car. The car had 156k miles so the dealer wouldn't warranty it. It's a 2.2 MT if that has anything to do with the dash cluster or not....

Well anyways....it was on steady, and I wasn't noticing anything different at all as far as noises, smells, performance, idling, or any of the usual signs. I had a new timing belt put in as well as a new radiator, water pump, air/oil filters, and an oil change. This was all for a trip I was taking to Florida in february. When I started on my trip, I got as far as NJ and it started flashing (up until now, for the past 2 months it was on steady and didn't flash). I wondered whether I should turn around or not, but I kept going. Every other hour or so it started flashing on/off for a good 30 minutes, then it'd just be on steady. I got down there driving straight, very few stops, same coming back. I am pretty sure nothing is wrong with my car...I think I'd definately notice whatever it was, since I've been maintaining it great so far and it hasn't shown any signs. Does anyone else have this light on? Any insignifigant thing I wouldn't notice (such as a dealer service or something) that would trigger it?

Also my ABS light has been on since I bought the car. Carfax didn't show it to have ever been in an accident, but the way the hood has a hard time closing leads me to believe otherwise. Either way, any insight would be helpful.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loose harness, damaged sensor, does the car give you and OBOII codes?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Instructor

"does the car give you and OBOII codes?"

I'm sorry I don't really understand what you meant to say there....what's an OBOII code?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:46 PM
10th Gear

Hey man if there is a auto zone near you they can put the car on there obd scanner and read the engine codes that is turning on the check eng light and they will also reset it for you to at no charge

Pete, NJ
Old 04-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Instructor

Ah, didn't know autozone did it for free. There's no fine print where they have to service your car before releasing it if it's anything is there?

I'll check that out after I get my body work done. Thanks man.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:12 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nick 97cl
I can't believe I haven't asked this already, but it just occured to me today.

My check engine light came on and has since been on since 2 weeks after purchasing the car. The car had 156k miles so the dealer wouldn't warranty it. It's a 2.2 MT if that has anything to do with the dash cluster or not....

Well anyways....it was on steady, and I wasn't noticing anything different at all as far as noises, smells, performance, idling, or any of the usual signs. I had a new timing belt put in as well as a new radiator, water pump, air/oil filters, and an oil change. This was all for a trip I was taking to Florida in february. When I started on my trip, I got as far as NJ and it started flashing (up until now, for the past 2 months it was on steady and didn't flash). I wondered whether I should turn around or not, but I kept going. Every other hour or so it started flashing on/off for a good 30 minutes, then it'd just be on steady. I got down there driving straight, very few stops, same coming back. I am pretty sure nothing is wrong with my car...I think I'd definately notice whatever it was, since I've been maintaining it great so far and it hasn't shown any signs. Does anyone else have this light on? Any insignifigant thing I wouldn't notice (such as a dealer service or something) that would trigger it?

Also my ABS light has been on since I bought the car. Carfax didn't show it to have ever been in an accident, but the way the hood has a hard time closing leads me to believe otherwise. Either way, any insight would be helpful.
ive got a misfire in my first cylinder that ive been meaning to take care of, thats the reason ive got my CEL on. However, it comes and goes, and it rides smooth most of the time, sometimes you can hear/feel the engine missing a beat when you push lightly on the throttle and cruise it for a bit.

Take the advice from earlier and autozone it, get that code. That will help alot.

Also, as far as ABS goes, that should get checked out asap too...

-Alex
Old 04-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Wait....that was a typo....it was the SRS light....airbag, ABS
Old 04-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Wait....that was a typo....it was the SRS light....airbag, ABS
SRS or ABS?

Pretty much the only way to get a SRS light to pop is by unplugging an SRS sensor or Airbag. then turning on the ignition. Take it to a body shop before you take it to the stealership. They will charge you way less to reset the light.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:21 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
the car has 156K and the dealer wont warrenty it .....WTF, mine had 175K when i bought it and i got a 1 year engine and transmission warrenty...
Old 04-14-2005, 11:16 PM
Registered

Ah, didn't know autozone did it for free. There's no fine print where they have to service your car before releasing it if it's anything is there?
no there is no hiden fees. it is free.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverCL97
the car has 156K and the dealer wont warrenty it .....WTF, mine had 175K when i bought it and i got a 1 year engine and transmission warrenty...
Guess all dealers are different......I bought from one of those little used car lots...my bro knows the guy, so he cut me a deal...he didn't make much money off it (showed me the auction reciept), so I guess he considers it asking too much to throw in a waranty, because he's not a repair shop. In hindsight, I probably would have shopped around, but at the time, who knew, and I wasn't going to find a car I liked for less than $4000 in good condition.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:04 AM
CL-OWniN

I had my check engine light on a long time now and has about 160,000 miles on it. Still trying to figure out what it could be. It gave me a code of O2 sensors and i replaced but still came on im still trying to figure it out in order for me to get smogged and pass it..haha, but if ou figured ot your problem hit me up and let me know..THANKS
Old 05-03-2005, 01:26 AM
1 luv 4 CL's

If your ABS light is on, I would put money on you having a bad speed sensor on one of the 4 wheels, It is either the gap between the sensor and the wheel or you have a bad sensor. I had the same problem. Have a computer at a garage hooked up to your car, and unplug the harness under your glove box, take a close pin and put each end in the 2 prongs on the harness, and the computer should tell you which wheel it is. Mine was the rear passenger side wheel, it happened after I got new brakes and rotors put on. I hope this helps... as far as your other lights on your dash, I dont have a clue???