For the CF Hood Buyers: You'll need to know this...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 05:50 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Arrow For the CF Hood Buyers: You'll need to know this...

Ok...As most of you know, the hood is suppost to be an exact copy of OEM.....it is...to some extent. You should know that a lot of drilling will be done by youself. (most of you already realise this) The grille took forever, but I actually didnt drill out the spots for the little "plastic square clips" on either side. I just drilled out the 5 holes to get the grille to attach to the hood. (the 4 screw holes...and the one [_] hole for the guide to slide through.

The Other reason Im posting this right now, is because I finally got around to getting the Washer Nozzles to fit. Yes, they DONT fit....lol..and they actually look like they almost will, but just wait until you start sanding...the process took me about an hour.

Basically what i did was prop the hood up, and tried to stick the nozzle in the hole. Obviously, it dosnt fit, but it gives u an idea of where u need to sand. I used like 320 gritt WET SAND paper...(but i actually didnt even get it wet) But what i did was i took a small amount of sand paper, and rolled it up like a straw. Then i just sanded out the hole inside the hood. (Its easier to sand the hood..not the nozzle itself) But basically, you really just need to sand the hole to make it more round. (bigger circumference) The length of the hole w/ the square ends should be fine.
But i just sanded out the hole a little more (like i was flossing w/ the sand paper rolled up) and yes, its scary to see the hood / fiberglass being sanded away, but its worth it. (like me, when you get 12" of snow and shit melts and you dont have nozzles and you have to stop on the HWY just to windex your window because all the shit it melting and crap...lol)

But my biggest advice, well first, wear a mask...i breathed in soo much fiberglass / CF dust...it was BAD...i felt like light headed and crap...But also, TAKE YOUR TIME....sand a little...then test fit...then sand more...then test fit. If you make the hole too big, then your screwed. When i finally finished, the nozzles were still really tight to fit in...but it seemed like i sanded soo much.

I know a lot of you are about to get your hoods...Do most of you know what your going to need to do?
Would you guys like/need me to make a DIY with some picts of the drilling for the grille and nozzle holes??
Its not that hard...but i was scared shitless to drill in my new custom made hood.

(also...i still am not finished...i still have to drill the holes for the weather stripping...which will prob be the hardest. AND...i need to get a shop to drill the holes for the hood pins. Im too afarid to drill the hoodpin holes)

Just lemme know if you guys think you'll need some help, and I'll try to get some picts and a DIY up for u.

Thanks!
-CJ
Old 12-10-2005, 05:52 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fucking A all that dough and you have to mod it
Old 12-10-2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ayougo
fucking "A"....all that dough and you have to mod it
Yea...Well actually, I only paid $575 total...The OEM hood painted and installed was like $1100. So I saved like 1/2 the $$...

The reason i posted this is because I guess only Recycle and I have the CF hood right now. I know hes gotten his hood pins installed, but i wasnt sure if he had done the Washer Nozzles yet. Im sure most of you that are getting the hood, you'll be able to figure out how/where to drill holes...etc. I'm just here to help or anwser questions because I ventured out and did the stuff w/o any guides or DIY's.

So basically, I know a bunch of you are gettin the hoods soon. If you guys need a DIY or picts or just help/advice your welcome to PM me or if you want, I can make a DIY.

Just tryin to look out for ya guys!
-CJ
PS: but honestly...invest in some painter/dr. masks....Its soooo bad to breath that crap in....trust me...i felt "high" just from breathing in the dust from sanding last night.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:16 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL
Yea...Well actually, I only paid $575 total...The OEM hood painted and installed was like $1100. So I saved like 1/2 the $$...

The reason i posted this is because I guess only Recycle and I have the CF hood right now. I know hes gotten his hood pins installed, but i wasnt sure if he had done the Washer Nozzles yet. Im sure most of you that are getting the hood, you'll be able to figure out how/where to drill holes...etc. I'm just here to help or anwser questions because I ventured out and did the stuff w/o any guides or DIY's.

So basically, I know a bunch of you are gettin the hoods soon. If you guys need a DIY or picts or just help/advice your welcome to PM me or if you want, I can make a DIY.

Just tryin to look out for ya guys!
-CJ
PS: but honestly...invest in some painter/dr. masks....Its soooo bad to breath that crap in....trust me...i felt "high" just from breathing in the dust from sanding last night.
sweet ill get high modding my car
Old 12-11-2005, 08:14 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ayougo
sweet ill get high modding my car
butcher your lungs crazy cracker
Old 12-11-2005, 08:45 PM
fear and Loathing

i dont care once i get the hood i am going to take out the wipers and everything since it isnt goin to be my regular car, meaning i wont need washer nozzles. ayougo thats a nother weight reduction for you so i could honestly care about the washer thing, but the grill i am def not happy about, one thing i ahve learned when modding is nothing after market is ever perfect. The is always something whether large or small nothing easy haha.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:42 PM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hmmmm breathing in fiberglass... yummy
Old 12-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,425 Likes on 3,031 Posts
Originally Posted by starboy2nv
hmmmm breathing in fiberglass... yummy
MMMMMMMMM fiberglaaaaaaaaass
Old 12-12-2005, 01:06 PM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i dont know bout everyone else, but, the smell of paint and fiberglass gets me excited, no not in that way you pervs! Its like, i cant wait to see the finished product! Am i alone on this one? or am just getting high on the smell?
Old 12-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,425 Likes on 3,031 Posts
Originally Posted by starboy2nv
i dont know bout everyone else, but, the smell of paint and fiberglass gets me excited, no not in that way you pervs! Its like, i cant wait to see the finished product! Am i alone on this one? or am just getting high on the smell?
Both, you're probly getting high on the fumes, and waiting to see the finished product. Any fresh paint or fg smell makes me excited too
Old 12-12-2005, 05:15 PM
100% Dominicano

I'd love any DIY that have to do with any CF hood installation including washer nozzle fitament, and the grill install.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Zerostatic
I'd love any DIY that have to do with any CF hood installation including washer nozzle fitament, and the grill install.
Basically, so far ive done the washer nozzles and the grille. But this week is finals week, so i donno if I'll be able to get any picts or anything typed up until the weekend. But I will put it on my "to do" list!
Old 12-12-2005, 06:56 PM
100% Dominicano

Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL
Basically, so far ive done the washer nozzles and the grille. But this week is finals week, so i donno if I'll be able to get any picts or anything typed up until the weekend. But I will put it on my "to do" list!
Thanks man, good luck on finals I'm in finals week too up here at UConn. I got one tomorrow, and then 2 more on Thursday.