Brakes????

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes????

I have a problem with my Girls 97 CL. The brake pedal is falling slowly to the floor. I have checked for fluid loss/leaks but cannot fing any. The pads are in good shape. This problem just started yesterday out of the blue. The car stops fine if you pump the brakes. The pedal won't hold pressure. It takes the pedal about 5 seconds after start up to fall to the floor after start up. Then you have to pump them to get pressure back. Has anyone had problems like this? I'm new to this board and and don't have alot of knowledge with Acuras. I'm a big Chevy guy and love tuning my 94 11 sec. Camaro. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Re: Brakes????

Originally posted by Billy972.2CL
I have a problem with my Girls 97 CL. The brake pedal is falling slowly to the floor. I have checked for fluid loss/leaks but cannot fing any. The pads are in good shape. This problem just started yesterday out of the blue. The car stops fine if you pump the brakes. The pedal won't hold pressure. It takes the pedal about 5 seconds after start up to fall to the floor after start up. Then you have to pump them to get pressure back. Has anyone had problems like this? I'm new to this board and and don't have alot of knowledge with Acuras. I'm a big Chevy guy and love tuning my 94 11 sec. Camaro. Thanks for the help.
Yeah I had this on my prelude, It is the master brake cylinder that just failed. Fix it by a pro, cost $200-$300 depending where. It is very dangerous to drive like that, your brakes will pretty much still work but u won't have pressure to drive well. Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

Re: Re: Brakes????

Originally posted by fusionnv
Yeah I had this on my prelude, It is the master brake cylinder that just failed. Fix it by a pro, cost $200-$300 depending where. It is very dangerous to drive like that, your brakes will pretty much still work but u won't have pressure to drive well. Hope this helps.
\

Thanks for the info. I figured this was the problem but wanted to check with the guys who know these cars best. I'm picking up a new master cylinder tommarow...hope this fixes it.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:39 AM
roomate has a CL too

I had a leak in my master break cylinder when I had my 95 mazda mx6.... I don't know how it affects acuras but I am assuming it does the same thing... so this is what happened... I guess the master break cylinder is coupled with the pumps or something that pump the break fluid to the breaks in the front and the rear axels. So my breaks would not only work but they would work to well and clamp up with no pressure applied to the brake... because I guess there was no brake fluid getting to the brakes and there for would not release the ??calipers??

So if might be that the pump has just gone.... the master brake cylinder is an expensive item well if you already got it then hope it is the case but if not get those pumps checked out not sure what they are called... because it could save you a lot of money.