bent steering column

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bent steering column

My car was hit while parked a couple of months ago. After I got it home from the dealership that repaired the quarterpanel, I noticed that the plastic housing around the base of the steering wheel was misaligned.

I thought it was just cosmetic, but I took my car into Acura this week and they said the column itself is bent. I've owned the car for 2 years and I've never been in any accidents except this one where I wasn't even in the car. Geico is saying that it couldn't be accident related, but this is the only trauma the car has suffered since I have owned it.

How do you think this could have happened? I want to hold Geico to it if possible because it might end up costing me $1600.

Also, what are the implications of driving the thing around like that?
Old 06-04-2002, 02:24 PM
D73
Curiosity Killed The CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming the steering column was bent, and assuming that it was fine to begin with, then take a look around the steering column for signs of other damage. Obviously I can't tell you where it'll be...

Have your dealership check beyond just the quarterpanel. Check the axles, steering linkage, etc. If you can find other signs of damage, then you could bring it up to Geico. Basically, steel doesn't just bend on its own. And if it does bend, you should be able to gradually trace a line of impact back to the originating point of impact.

You didn't mention where you got hit, but I'm assuming it's the front driver quarterpanel? If so, it's possible that this was accident induced.

Good luck!

PS: Sorry if I am mangling some of the part names. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. But the idea is all there.