Beefing up transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beefing up transmission?

Does anyone know what I could do to my 1997 2.2 tranny to beef it up for some more power?
Old 05-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

lol
Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Turtle Charged, Biotcch!!

The F22 tranny is pretty good and reliable already, people usually keep the F22 tranny even after they swapped in an H22 engine...

I don't see any thing else you should do to it besides lightweight flywheel, pressure plate and short throw shifter kit... but unless you add a lot of power to the engine, you're not gaining anything by putting these things in...

Unless you can get a 6-speed swap...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Intermediate

Its an auto.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Racer

I have an auto with a couple of mods on the tranny, but if your not pushing 250 or more horsepower it's pretty pointless for me to give you direction...by the way it's a lot of hardwork and money
Old 05-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,461 Likes on 3,055 Posts
Get an h22 tranny and call it a day
Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Matt

I would recomend a $35 oil cap and a couple decals. If you can afford it, you could also install some racing seats and seat belt conversion.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Matt

Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
I would recomend a $35 oil cap and a couple decals. If you can afford it, you could also install some racing seats and seat belt conversion.
JOKES...

Thems is Jokes!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:50 PM
chips and smokes, lets go

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
good thing i kept my receipts
Old 05-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Mmmm...

Originally Posted by herbalist
good thing i kept my receipts

Usually I don't actually laugh out loud but just put that cuz i chuckle inside... but that time I was literally Rolling on the floor laughing f-ing hard as hell....

Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Turtle Charged, Biotcch!!

I dont understand why people diss on racing seats... imo it is one of the more important mods to do when you drive it like you stole it...

It's functional and gives your car some extra style points (unless the seats came in the color of the rainbow )...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:59 PM
'07 November = STI

get one of them magnetic drain plugs. that way all your metal crap in there dont float around in the oil too much.. (this mod is probably pretty useless unless you change your fluid every week.. keke)

tranny cooler ftw!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
you bought my f22 tranny. i have a h22 auto if ur interested.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:18 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Sleep_DEPRIVED_Sleeper
I dont understand why people diss on racing seats... imo it is one of the more important mods to do when you drive it like you stole it...

It's functional and gives your car some extra style points (unless the seats came in the color of the rainbow )...
I would love to have some black rsx seats.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:22 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 05-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
shit i have a friend who is selling a complete H22A4 swap w manual tranny for 1200 and its OBD2. but you have to be in so. cal
Old 05-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

Anyone know where abouts to find shift kits? Ive googled it and keep coming up with short shift kits.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

They're mostly universal, my tranny shop put one in for me
Old 05-12-2007, 01:43 AM
97 CL 2.2needs more power

So what you are all saying unless you swapp out the engine to a h22 theres no point doing anything to increase the power in the engine.?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:02 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tek01
So what you are all saying unless you swapp out the engine to a h22 theres no point doing anything to increase the power in the engine.?
engine yes, AUTO 2.x tranny no. the best mod you can do to an auto is swap out a manual unless you got an old muscle car.(4 speed )
Old 05-12-2007, 09:23 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by subbuzz
engine yes, AUTO 2.x tranny no. the best mod you can do to an auto is swap out a manual unless you got an old muscle car.(4 speed )

Thanks for the information Subbuz. For My automatic 97 Cl 2.2. I am thinking of either getting the H224A engine to increase the specs, however I am unaware if there is a better engine I can get that will be more powerfull than the H224A?

Also I am curious to know if any body has done a swap from automatic to manual transmission with the H224A? If anybody has some info please let me know. Thanks
Old 05-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Mmmm...

Just to clarify for you... its H22A4...
Old 05-12-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by CLpwner
Just to clarify for you... its H22A4...

Thats right the H22A4 right now I have the F22B1, fyi ...lowest compression on CL ever made even integras! sight...
Old 05-12-2007, 11:45 AM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
First put down the power, then deal with the tranny as the problem evolves.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cocoa
First put down the power, then deal with the tranny as the problem evolves.
Cocoa, I agree with putting down the power, as you can see im making sure that the H2224a fits in my engine bay, But if i could fit something with more power than the H224a I would preffer that route. I I see you have J35A2 engine( the odysee?), is it in yet,if it is where did you get the information that you could drop that engine in your cl?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:59 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

Originally Posted by legendaryCL98
get one of them magnetic drain plugs. that way all your metal crap in there dont float around in the oil too much.. (this mod is probably pretty useless unless you change your fluid every week.. keke)

tranny cooler ftw!
Tranny cooler... I new I was forgetting something when I was making my recent "things to buy list". Thanx Legendary! I love this place
Old 05-13-2007, 11:37 PM
2600lb CL

Cocoa, I agree with putting down the power, as you can see im making sure that the H2224a fits in my engine bay, But if i could fit something with more power than the H224a I would preffer that route. I I see you have J35A2 engine( the odysee?), is it in yet,if it is where did you get the information that you could drop that engine in your cl?
Tp be honest with you, I dreamed of this shop before joing acura-cl.com (the old website name). When I had done my first initial research, I discovered typeR on these boards as being the first ever to stroke the CL.

I had a bit of common sense knowing that the J series were quite similar to one another. I know he had stroke it internally, but I was determined to use the Honda Odyssey or MDX block to save myself money from doing internal work. Well, this was 5 years ago back when I was a freshman in college back in 2003.

I posted a thread about my idea to first swap in just the J32A2 engine with the 6 speed tranny since I thought all the cars were similar.

Well, as you may know it, all the og's of the site flamed on me and said it would be a waste of money, blah blah blah. So after that I was discouraged. But, it forced to me want to know more about our cars and the other accords to just to show myself the kind of work that would actually be involved with this project for old sakes.

I discovered v-6-p (a site we cant mention) and found TONS of info that wasn't available on this site when it came to using the J32A2 parts on the J30A1 engine. From there, I realized that my chasis was in fact different than the 6th gen accords which would have made the swap more difficult just like everyone said on here. Same motors, different engine bays. It kind of hit me like a bull in the ass.

After that, I thought to myself. With shops doing RWD conversion and throwing nsx motors in civics, all the crazy shit I've seen, then what amount of money would make this possible? After all, anything can be done with money apparently. So, I was then determined to make it happen no matter what the cost. So I went on about doing my research with the difference in the size of the 6 speed and auto tranny. I then did my homework on what was needed to go about doing the engine swap. I then went on about reading what issues otehrs had with the swap, etc. I seriously sat and read for 8 1/2 straight without eating, pissing, or drinking on v-6-p about everything I could about the swap. I learned A LOT. After that, I knew the swap could be done on one condition, with cash in hand.

I bust my ass off in work, make a few moves and make some extra money on the side, and take out a small loan and end up with $11,000 on hand. I thought to myself this was more than enough. At the same time, the original guy that first did the J32 swap in his accord ended up selling and parting out his car. Aidan was the one that did his swap, and he knew his shit. So, after hearign but good things about Aidan, and him being the first to figure out all the bugs in the swap and such, I knew from then on he was my man for the job. I go to buy the guys engine/trans and all, set up a day to see it during the weekend. Once that Saturday came about, I call him, only to find out he already sold it 4 days prior. I thought, this was it, that was my opportunity for the swap I missed out on it. (he was selling the engine/trans/ and everything you needed for $3300 plus Aidan was going to do the swap for $2000 he said thinking it'd be the same shit).

Anyways, after that, I never came around another J32A2 engine with the tranny and let alone find any parts I needed for the swap. So once that deal went sour, I went along and just used the money for sticky tires, shocks, cams, rebuilding my old tranny (had no 4th gear or reverse). And then just gave the rest back to the small loan I had. So I went on my life debt free and with no more fat wallet.

6 months past and I end up blowing my motor. The first thing I did was laugh my ass off. I knew it was God's way of telling me, it's gonna happen, and it has your name on it.

At that point, I found a J35A4 short block for $600 shipped to my door. And that was the begining of a real major pain in the ass...
Old 05-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Lightbulb J35a4

Tp be honest with you, I dreamed of this shop before joing acura-cl.com (the old website name). When I had done my first initial research, I discovered typeR on these boards as being the first ever to stroke the CL.

I had a bit of common sense knowing that the J series were quite similar to one another. I know he had stroke it internally, but I was determined to use the Honda Odyssey or MDX block to save myself money from doing internal work. Well, this was 5 years ago back when I was a freshman in college back in 2003.

I posted a thread about my idea to first swap in just the J32A2 engine with the 6 speed tranny since I thought all the cars were similar.

Well, as you may know it, all the og's of the site flamed on me and said it would be a waste of money, blah blah blah. So after that I was discouraged. But, it forced to me want to know more about our cars and the other accords to just to show myself the kind of work that would actually be involved with this project for old sakes.

I discovered v-6-p (a site we cant mention) and found TONS of info that wasn't available on this site when it came to using the J32A2 parts on the J30A1 engine. From there, I realized that my chasis was in fact different than the 6th gen accords which would have made the swap more difficult just like everyone said on here. Same motors, different engine bays. It kind of hit me like a bull in the ass.

After that, I thought to myself. With shops doing RWD conversion and throwing nsx motors in civics, all the crazy shit I've seen, then what amount of money would make this possible? After all, anything can be done with money apparently. So, I was then determined to make it happen no matter what the cost. So I went on about doing my research with the difference in the size of the 6 speed and auto tranny. I then did my homework on what was needed to go about doing the engine swap. I then went on about reading what issues otehrs had with the swap, etc. I seriously sat and read for 8 1/2 straight without eating, pissing, or drinking on v-6-p about everything I could about the swap. I learned A LOT. After that, I knew the swap could be done on one condition, with cash in hand.

I bust my ass off in work, make a few moves and make some extra money on the side, and take out a small loan and end up with $11,000 on hand. I thought to myself this was more than enough. At the same time, the original guy that first did the J32 swap in his accord ended up selling and parting out his car. Aidan was the one that did his swap, and he knew his shit. So, after hearign but good things about Aidan, and him being the first to figure out all the bugs in the swap and such, I knew from then on he was my man for the job. I go to buy the guys engine/trans and all, set up a day to see it during the weekend. Once that Saturday came about, I call him, only to find out he already sold it 4 days prior. I thought, this was it, that was my opportunity for the swap I missed out on it. (he was selling the engine/trans/ and everything you needed for $3300 plus Aidan was going to do the swap for $2000 he said thinking it'd be the same shit).

Anyways, after that, I never came around another J32A2 engine with the tranny and let alone find any parts I needed for the swap. So once that deal went sour, I went along and just used the money for sticky tires, shocks, cams, rebuilding my old tranny (had no 4th gear or reverse). And then just gave the rest back to the small loan I had. So I went on my life debt free and with no more fat wallet.

6 months past and I end up blowing my motor. The first thing I did was laugh my ass off. I knew it was God's way of telling me, it's gonna happen, and it has your name on it.

At that point, I found a J35A4 short block for $600 shipped to my door. And that was the begining of a real major pain in the ass...

Wow I don’t know what say except, thanks for the head up. I still plan on fitting a bigger engine in a car but perhaps I should consider starting out with just a frame of a car built for various customizing. I appreciate the write up and hope it teaches me a lesson, let’s just say i just got my loan. And my cl well it’s going to be the 3 year mark this summer and all i have done is rust proof and done liquid changed as much as possible. But I’m fed up of not being able to keep up with some of these other cars on the street. The Car shines out because of its advance styling however there’s no power in it.

Cocoa, I will take your advice as follow; do not swap the engine for my headache will undoubtedly be more frustrating than starting from scratch. So I will settle for smaller mods. Once again Thanks for the eye opener~!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 PM
2600lb CL

Wow I don’t know what say except, thanks for the head up. I still plan on fitting a bigger engine in a car but perhaps I should consider starting out with just a frame of a car built for various customizing. I appreciate the write up and hope it teaches me a lesson, let’s just say i just got my loan. And my cl well it’s going to be the 3 year mark this summer and all i have done is rust proof and done liquid changed as much as possible. But I’m fed up of not being able to keep up with some of these other cars on the street. The Car shines out because of its advance styling however there’s no power in it.

Cocoa, I will take your advice as follow; do not swap the engine for my headache will undoubtedly be more frustrating than starting from scratch. So I will settle for smaller mods. Once again Thanks for the eye opener~!
Since you have the 2.2, you can swap in the H22 and turbo it for a fair price. I would not suggest going with any J series unless you have started off with the 3.0.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:23 PM

Thumbs up H22

Since you have the 2.2, you can swap in the H22 and turbo it for a fair price. I would not suggest going with any J series unless you have started off with the 3.0.
Awesome thank you very much, I will start to research what I will need for the swap of the 2 engines then let you know what’s up. But I believe you’re right about staying away from the J series engine. Might even consider a turbo on the F22 depends if it can take that pounding, will have to do some research on that as well. It's nice to have the money but without the knowledge you can easily be screwed or for me a bit lost! But I really appreciate your help and sharing your past knowledge.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

The f22 can def handle the compression of a turbo, I would recommend beefing up the internals for sanity's sake and the sake of doing it right, otherwise, beef up the internals on an h22 for sure and go from there, depends on how much time and money you have to throw at the project
Old 05-15-2007, 03:43 PM
2600lb CL

Awesome thank you very much, I will start to research what I will need for the swap of the 2 engines then let you know what’s up. But I believe you’re right about staying away from the J series engine. Might even consider a turbo on the F22 depends if it can take that pounding, will have to do some research on that as well. It's nice to have the money but without the knowledge you can easily be screwed or for me a bit lost! But I really appreciate your help and sharing your past knowledge.
There's a lot of members that could help you out a whole lot more than I can. I'm not the person to go to with questions about the F series or H series. I'm sure you can do a search on here and find a whole lot of info that would help you out.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:46 PM
is Slightly Stoopid

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
The f22 can def handle the compression of a turbo, I would recommend beefing up the internals for sanity's sake and the sake of doing it right, otherwise, beef up the internals on an h22 for sure and go from there, depends on how much time and money you have to throw at the project
Yes it can. Well so far so good I should say. 220 whp is pretty satisfactory for me and I drove a 91' Integra (stock besides intake, exhaust, header...),92' civic Si (same mods), & a 93' Integra (you guessed it). Honestly man, I would recommend putting a turbo on, and I'm not saying that just because I did. There are a couple of good reasons. 1. BOOST! 2. Our compression is perfect for it, you can run 8 lbs on a stock motor safely for a while. I've got a 7lb. spring (5.5 lbs. really) in my wastegate, w/ a 1.5 lb. boost leak somewhere and I still dynod 220 whp. 3. The s p a c e in the engine bay you save by not putting in an H22 (much easier to work on stuff) 4. BOOST! 5. A lot easier to install. 6. You can peice it together vs. dropping a $$$Shitload$$$ all at once. 7. And a show of hands... How many people out there love it when fellow enthusiests break thier neck checking out your car after adding a mod, everyone, just like I thought. (Front mount intercoolers on CL's work great? <<< Very rare, and they know it) 7. And the most important reason for putting a turbo on your F and not swapping it out for the H is, and I don't know if anyone has said this yet but B O O S T !!!! It's like having SUPER V-TEC, I mean at around 4300 - 4500 RPM's full boost kicks in and O M G HERE WE GO!!! I had a freakin perma-grin on my face for weeks , just couldn't stop smiling or driving for that matter. If you think the wastegate roaring while your boosting or the blow-off valve whistling at you while you simply shift from from gear to gear gets old, you are wrong my freind. I didn't listen to music for a while, shit I still just turn off the radio from time to time to listen to my baby talk to me and tell me how she feels.

Final Thought: W/ an H22 you get the all motor power, that's all 200 hp all the time. Where as w/ turbo you have to wait for your power to fully kick in. It really depends on your situation, if you do go turbo do it right, piece together quality parts. Don't go buy a "complete turbo setup" online from some guy, I know it looks like all the same shit that costs 2x more but w/ turbo you need reliability, and when it comes to reliable turbo parts $ you get what you pay for it $
Old 05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Mmmm...

Originally Posted by 97'CL2.2Turbo
Yes it can. Well so far so good I should say. 220 whp is pretty satisfactory for me and I drove a 91' Integra (stock besides intake, exhaust, header...),92' civic Si (same mods), & a 93' Integra (you guessed it). Honestly man, I would recommend putting a turbo on, and I'm not saying that just because I did. There are a couple of good reasons. 1. BOOST! 2. Our compression is perfect for it, you can run 8 lbs on a stock motor safely for a while. I've got a 7lb. spring (5.5 lbs. really) in my wastegate, w/ a 1.5 lb. boost leak somewhere and I still dynod 220 whp. 3. The s p a c e in the engine bay you save by not putting in an H22 (much easier to work on stuff) 4. BOOST! 5. A lot easier to install. 6. You can peice it together vs. dropping a $$$Shitload$$$ all at once. 7. And a show of hands... How many people out there love it when fellow enthusiests break thier neck checking out your car after adding a mod, everyone, just like I thought. (Front mount intercoolers on CL's work great? <<< Very rare, and they know it) 7. And the most important reason for putting a turbo on your F and not swapping it out for the H is, and I don't know if anyone has said this yet but B O O S T !!!! It's like having SUPER V-TEC, I mean at around 4300 - 4500 RPM's full boost kicks in and O M G HERE WE GO!!! I had a freakin perma-grin on my face for weeks , just couldn't stop smiling or driving for that matter. If you think the wastegate roaring while your boosting or the blow-off valve whistling at you while you simply shift from from gear to gear gets old, you are wrong my freind. I didn't listen to music for a while, shit I still just turn off the radio from time to time to listen to my baby talk to me and tell me how she feels.

Final Thought: W/ an H22 you get the all motor power, that's all 200 hp all the time. Where as w/ turbo you have to wait for your power to fully kick in. It really depends on your situation, if you do go turbo do it right, piece together quality parts. Don't go buy a "complete turbo setup" online from some guy, I know it looks like all the same shit that costs 2x more but w/ turbo you need reliability, and when it comes to reliable turbo parts $ you get what you pay for it $

Is gas mileage better or worse H22A vs. Turboed F22 ?

Not that thats too important but just curious...
Old 05-15-2007, 06:58 PM
B A N N E D

Since were on the subject, what would you need to buy for your motor to run 15lbs of boost daily on the f22?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:13 PM

Turbo 2.2 cl 97

Originally Posted by 97'CL2.2Turbo
llok at but

Im hearring you Buddy thanks for that write up. brought up my morale. Well if it helps it's my first car that i can say is really nice to look at but when im on the highway i can really compete with all those moded civics and integra. So i hope with enought time spent on this forum i make the right descions. I dont really want to lower my car until i get another vehicle. So im left with what should i do first? I feel as though your advice is good. I saw you said something about pounds of boost, wouldnt that give some type of error to the CL's computer and make it give out a an error code. Do you get any error codes with your turbo? to be more specific like o2 sensor issues. anyways that some minor stuff - 97'CL2.2Turbo I have been looking to see if there was any intake manifolds for the are cl, what are you rolling with what else is available on the market? thanks for your input everyone
Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM

beef up internals on a H22

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL

Well i just want to be able to get off that starting lane a bit faster than i can now, When you said beef up the internals, what do you mean by that. Pistons and rods ect...
Old 05-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Mmmm...

Well i just want to be able to get off that starting lane a bit faster than i can now, When you said beef up the internals, what do you mean by that. Pistons and rods ect...
FYI you dont have to have a title each post...
Old 05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

FYI you dont have to have a title each post...

And yes, I mean sleaving, pistons, rods, etc
Old 05-16-2007, 10:16 AM
is Slightly Stoopid

Is gas mileage better or worse H22A vs. Turboed F22 ?

Not that thats too important but just curious...
As long as you're in vacuum and not boosting the gas mileage stays the same. Smokin V8's and still getting 25-30 mpg, does it get any better than that? Especially w/ gas prices these days.

Quick Reply: Beefing up transmission?