Anyone with subs please look at this.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008 | 10:03 PM
Advanced

Anyone with subs please look at this.

I have recently put 2 12" infinity subs in my 99 CL. The rear deck rattled a lot, so i got it Dynamated, but it only helped with some of the rattle. I think that it is my rear speaker covers that rattle, but if anyone on here knows what else might rattle please tell me what it is and how to fix it. Im sick of those long bass notes that just rattle the shit out of my car. Also i wanted to know if anyone knows how to modify the trunk lid to close tighter so it doesnt rattle either. Please post back. Thanks
Old 11-28-2008 | 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

It's the 3rd brake light, trust me it's rattling against the glass, try holding it still and see if still rattles
Old 11-28-2008 | 11:14 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

3rd brake light. It's funny because it only rattles at a certian frequency. Especialy the bass of that Ludacris song, What them girls like. I took it out the other day because it's not even hooked up to anything and the rattleing was gone.
Old 11-29-2008 | 03:16 AM
For Life

i got rid of the third brake light for that reason. imho i think it looks cleaner

:puts flame suit on:
Old 11-29-2008 | 11:00 AM
Drifting

I'm with you Blind... Plus you have something a little bit more useful there right now... My 3rd brake light is just sitting on top of the deck for now. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with something to do with that space in/around the next month when I re-do my box...
Old 11-30-2008 | 11:03 PM
Advanced

thanks guys. It took away the rattling. i just put rubber washers inbetween it and the glass so now i cant get pulled over for not having it. also if anyone has anything about the trunk lid, please tell me cuz i hate how it sounds from outside. THANKS
Old 11-30-2008 | 11:46 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Pulled over for not having a 3rd brake light are you serious??
Old 12-01-2008 | 03:41 AM
CL in lawnmower status

dynamat the trunk & trunk lid , i only have rattles outside when i turn up my subs really high, and most is coming from my license plate bouncing around, with only a little comming from my trunk lid cuz i can't stop it from vibrating
btw i have 2 12's pointed directly towards the trunk lid and it's not bad at all, usually from outside the car you can hear a little bass and not too much as far as rattles
Old 12-01-2008 | 08:15 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by CLherman
thanks guys. It took away the rattling. i just put rubber washers inbetween it and the glass so now i cant get pulled over for not having it. also if anyone has anything about the trunk lid, please tell me cuz i hate how it sounds from outside. THANKS
I dynamatted my entire trunk lid, spoiler, and license plate, I have no rattles
Old 12-01-2008 | 10:10 AM
CL in lawnmower status

^ Blackack, how did you dynamat the license plate? cuz i don't wanna put on that stupid dynamat license frame if that's it, and i do have some extra extreme dynamat laying around if i need it for that
Old 12-01-2008 | 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I bought the license plate kit, it comes with a precut rectangle of dynamat that just sticks on the back of the license plate, I didn't use the frame either, if you have extra dynamat, just cut a rectangle and put it on the back of your plate, I highly recommend this for anyone with bass.
Old 12-01-2008 | 10:59 AM
CL in lawnmower status

kk thanks, i'll do that as soon as i wash my car and get it in the garage,
i also still have lots of dynamat, any other areas you would suggest to use it? i was thinking on the sides by the back seats, so that would be the inside of the rear fenders, i think i got somewhere around 25 to 30 square feet of it left so i'm thinking of places to put it to improve sound quality, or if i need to to reduce road noise.
also, does your roof vibrate like crazylike mine? while inside i can just see the maplight portion inside the car going crazy.
Old 12-01-2008 | 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

My rearview mirror goes nuts, never noticed the roof or headliner rattling. I did my door panels just for good measure, but the sides of the trunk and the rear deck would be best
Old 12-01-2008 | 11:45 AM
2600lb CL

Any pics fo your setup herman?

Has anyone taken the spare tire out, and made that general area where you put the subs to keep the trunk space? My friend did it to his em1, and it looks clean.
Old 12-01-2008 | 12:08 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Originally Posted by Cocoa
Any pics fo your setup herman?

Has anyone taken the spare tire out, and made that general area where you put the subs to keep the trunk space? My friend did it to his em1, and it looks clean.
^yes that is what mine is, sticks up about 3 inches or so from original floor height, in that box i have two 12 inch JL W3v3's with the sub grills, my project is still not finished tho, i still need to get a finish panel made to cover everything up, here's a thread i made with pics of my setup so far https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...449&highlight= i'm gonna add some more detailed pics of the box when i had it out of the car to reseal it.
And Blackack, i have my whole trunk dynamatted, all the sides the bottom and the lid, everywhere that i could find bare metal in the trunk i put dynamat sheets on it, but nowhere else in my car is dynamatted right now, i was thinking bout doing it to the rear deck but i thought that a lot of the bass would travel through that area so i left it. and ya just as much as my rearview mirror moves my maplight and stuff goes crazy
Old 12-02-2008 | 12:31 PM
For Life

u might want to dynamat the roof then mitch. somewhat a pain in the ass but very well worth it. with 4 12"s my roof no longer flexes. headliner does occasionally rattle but a well placed punch fixes that. fwiw i did my entire back deck but my port comes through the back deck.
Old 12-02-2008 | 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter
u might want to dynamat the roof then mitch. somewhat a pain in the ass but very well worth it. with 4 12"s my roof no longer flexes. headliner does occasionally rattle but a well placed punch fixes that. fwiw i did my entire back deck but my port comes through the back deck.
Did you do your roof above the headliner?
Old 12-02-2008 | 02:37 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter
^ya i wish i could port into the actual passenger cabin, but my subs are firing upwards in the trunk right now so i just wanted to make sure i get the most bass possible through the rear seats/deck.
how hard is it to take down the headliner? and also what kind of dynamat did you use? the sheets you have to heat up, or just press on?

and blackack i would hope he did it above his headliner, or else the other options for dynamatting his roof would be hella

Last edited by mitch14; 12-02-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2008 | 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

All you have to do to port your trunk is open the ski pass, that's how i port my trunk and it slams 10 times louder than when it's closed
Old 12-02-2008 | 03:33 PM
Drifting

Hmm... Based on ^^ logic, has anyone ever done a box with the subs pointed toward the rear or 1 side of the car with a port through the ski pass? I'm getting ready to re-do my box, and I'm just considering all the possibilities...
Old 12-02-2008 | 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I had a bandpass shooting at the rear deck and that thing rattled to all hell, but like Ghetto said, only along certain frequencies, I never got around to fixing it before buying the civic though, and I gotta say, the dnamatted plates worked well for me as well, first thing I did for my little civi and it stopped the rattle in its tracks, ill be doing the rest of the trunk soon enough. . . so far I only had enough of the door kits to do the rear deck after my speaker install
Old 12-02-2008 | 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by mattastick
Hmm... Based on ^^ logic, has anyone ever done a box with the subs pointed toward the rear or 1 side of the car with a port through the ski pass? I'm getting ready to re-do my box, and I'm just considering all the possibilities...
I flipped my box around to so the magnets were facing the port, but got better sound with them facing into the trunk because there was more airspace, if I had a 2 sub box with a port in the middle, I would def set it up so the port was firing right through the ski pass though, you could keep a lot of trunk space that way too
Old 12-02-2008 | 04:30 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Originally Posted by G22_Powered_YA1
I had a bandpass shooting at the rear deck and that thing rattled to all hell, but like Ghetto said, only along certain frequencies, I never got around to fixing it before buying the civic though, and I gotta say, the dnamatted plates worked well for me as well, first thing I did for my little civi and it stopped the rattle in its tracks, ill be doing the rest of the trunk soon enough. . . so far I only had enough of the door kits to do the rear deck after my speaker install
^ you'll need quite a bit to do a whole trunk, my trunk took an entire car kit (36 sq ft) not including the trunk lid, the lid was another few sq ft
Old 12-02-2008 | 10:39 PM
Advanced

i am going to take pictures of it tomorrow and i will post them so you guys can see them. Im gettin a ported box on friday, so i will let you guys know what happens with that. also my buddies are gonna do something kinda ghetto to my trunk. my friend put paper towels in his rear deck and anywhere it rattled. he said that it worked fine, so if your low on cash like me thats what i reccomend haha. thanks for all the good info too!
Old 12-02-2008 | 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 12-03-2008 | 12:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mitch14
^ you'll need quite a bit to do a whole trunk, my trunk took an entire car kit (36 sq ft) not including the trunk lid, the lid was another few sq ft
well thankfully a civic's trunk is smaller than a CL's. . . barely, but the difference is there. . . or so I think, it does seem that way though
Old 12-03-2008 | 12:48 AM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

I thought the CLs trunk was HUGE compared to many cars..
Old 12-03-2008 | 12:48 AM
¿baCon?

UT OH, i removed my spoiler, therefore lost my 3rd brake light. IMA GET PULLED OVA!
Old 12-03-2008 | 12:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
I thought the CLs trunk was HUGE compared to many cars..
well it kinda is, but newer cars only get biger and biger

I pulled the LAT out of the CL and tested it on the civic and it looked WAY biger in the civic, so I guess it still holds true though, but civic still sits in a smaller size class so its also a given :p

space is important, so im rockin this now

Originally Posted by swoleCL
UT OH, i removed my spoiler, therefore lost my 3rd brake light. IMA GET PULLED OVA!
. . . the cool thing about the CL is that it had a 3rd light for those cheap enough to not get the spoiler (any CL without a spoiler is ugly). . . so just move the plug off the spoiler plug and into the other one and youre set
Old 12-03-2008 | 04:13 PM
Drifting

^^ That's where I'm moving my amps to when I re-do my trunk here this month... I'll have one on each side and the box sitting between the strut towers... Should be interesting... Now I just have to get good (or at least decent) with some fiberglass...
Old 12-03-2008 | 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by mattastick
^^ That's where I'm moving my amps to when I re-do my trunk here this month... I'll have one on each side and the box sitting between the strut towers... Should be interesting... Now I just have to get good (or at least decent) with some fiberglass...
Wanna come help me do my glass project?
Old 12-03-2008 | 04:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Wanna come help me do my glass project?
This will be my first glass project... Here's an idea, I'll do your glass (if you like how mine turns out) if you hook me up with some projos...
Old 12-03-2008 | 10:32 PM
Intermediate

I have recently put 2 12" infinity subs in my 99 CL. The rear deck rattled a lot, so i got it Dynamated, but it only helped with some of the rattle. I think that it is my rear speaker covers that rattle, but if anyone on here knows what else might rattle please tell me what it is and how to fix it. Im sick of those long bass notes that just rattle the shit out of my car. Also i wanted to know if anyone knows how to modify the trunk lid to close tighter so it doesnt rattle either. Please post back. Thanks
I have the same problem, its the Speaker covers that rattles, and i also have something rattling under the car, that i cannot see..
Old 12-04-2008 | 08:28 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by 1cy920
I have the same problem, its the Speaker covers that rattles, and i also have something rattling under the car, that i cannot see..
heat shield for the cat convertor, see if it's hanging down or loose
Old 12-04-2008 | 08:31 AM
Advanced

This is just a picture of my subs and box. It was too dark to take pics of anything else. I will put more pics on later today.
Old 12-04-2008 | 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

pic fail
Old 12-06-2008 | 04:21 PM
Banned

The only thing i have rattling is my license plate. My temp gage vibrates up and down and i cant see anything in my rear view mirror for the vibration. lol. A little annoying sometimes.
Old 12-08-2008 | 11:39 AM
2nd Gear

It's just the nature of the beast. Try dynamat on the ceiling, will help a little, but nothing will stop it entirely.

Rick
Old 12-09-2008 | 04:34 PM
12volt Technician

I wouldn't recommend adjusting the latch on the car. I did that and 6 months later it broke. I run ALOT of power but still, it could happen to you. Dynamat and strategically placed foam helps alot.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member...32.jpg?365809-
Old 12-10-2008 | 02:35 PM
Advanced

i just got a ported box, and now it doesnt rattle at all. i guess its just so loud that i don't hear it anymore haha. if anyone here has serious rattling problems... just make the system louder and drown it out! haha

Quick Reply: Anyone with subs please look at this.