View Poll Results: The old lady broke my heart. What do I do?
Kick the dirty bitch to the curb.
23.53%
Forgive her and make up.
58.82%
Nobody cares about your problems.
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Another transmission thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another transmission thread

Transmission is kaput. The shop is going to do a free flush to see if maybe it dislodges a problem somewhere.
I just got nearly $2k worth of work done on the car to bring it into top condition, and now this.
Not sure if I should really spend the money on a new tranny if the flush does no good. It probably won't do any good, but it can't really hurt...
Seeing the ol' girl up on the flatbed really made me want to try to work things out with her, but it's hard to keep putting money into a black hole.
On the other hand, nobody is going to pay anything for that car at 178k miles, especially with a dead trans. And I can't afford to go buy anything that would be better, using just the money I have saved.
If I get the new trans, at least I still have the CL, and with everything else on it working great.
It's tough: Cut my losses and walk before I dump any more into it, or get the bitch fixed and never look back?

Who said love don't cost a thing? This love is breakin the bank.. and I don't have much to show for it either..
Old 10-13-2009, 06:05 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
ahh the tale of the autotragic, never ceases to amaze me :shakehead

but if you dont have money to get into another car then just take the loss and get that bitch back up and proper..
Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
I vote for getting her back up and running, especially if u already spent so much on the other stuff. Every time i think of getting rid of my car it does something to make me keep it, so i feel ur pain bro lol.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Instructor

same here i tried selling mine and i couldent at the price i wanted and well i invested about 1000 into the suspension and screw it i kept it. now i repainted it but thats taking sometime. but i cant get rid of it ! its too nice and hurts me to let her go and im a 3.0 automatic too lol sooo i feel u and the tranny
Old 10-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by shnee420
Not sure if I should really spend the money on a new tranny if the flush does no good. It probably won't do any good, but it can't really hurt...
Actually, it can hurt.. I'm pretty sure that doing a flush is bad for our cars. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But it all depends on how attached you are to your car. If I were you, I would def. fix and not let her go.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
Actually, it can hurt.. I'm pretty sure that doing a flush is bad for our cars. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Fool, it can't hurt because the trans is already screwed!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Originally Posted by shnee420
Fool, it can't hurt because the trans is already screwed!
Ohhhh right!! Haha
Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i'm so glad i dont have an automatic.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:21 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
so sorry man. damn. my tranny is always on my fuckin mind. it's been slipping for a good 1.5 years now. some days its horrible, some days its pretty smooth. but it's been slipping pretty much since I've gotten it. I really dont know if/when it's going to detonate, but I'm praying no time soon, since I dont have the funds to get it fixed. But im affraid im in the same boat as you, and have so much money invested in this car to get it to look/feel as new as possible that there's no turning back at this point If I do get a new car down the road I'd prbably still keep the cl as a dd or just a 'mod oasis.'
Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,465 Likes on 3,059 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverCL97
but if you dont have money to get into another car then just take the loss and get that bitch back up and proper..
Old 10-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Land of Pleasant Living

Yeah.. that's what I'm thinking too. Maybe get it fixed and just hold onto it whenever a new car comes into my life. It's not like the sale on the CL will net any funds for a new car in a few years anyway. I guess I may only get rid of this if the shop gives me some miracle of a deal on buying it off me or helping me into something else. That would be great, but they're a business, so that's just wishful thinking.
One thing I'm worried about.. If I get the new trans, and just had this $2k work done, and then get in an accident, the insurance is only going to give me like 2-3k for it, right? Then I'm really screwed...
Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

LISTEN UP AUTO TRANS GUYS

Here's a tale of great sorrow, followed by great joy.

I took my car to the shop close to a month ago. I got all this work done to get the car in top shape. Spent just about $2k on it.
Well when talking to the owner of the shop, he asked me if I had my oil changed recently, to which I responded that I did, just about a week prior. He said alright, because he was going to throw it in. So that was that.
When my car was all done, I go pick it up, drive it to school for two days. On my way home Friday, everything is normal until I'm about a mile or two from my house, and my transmission feels like it's totally about to go. I got really nervous, but it made it back without further trouble. On Monday morning, I leave for school, and about 1/4 mile down the road, I can tell the transmission wouldn't make it. So by the time I get a chance to turn around, I'm really afraid I won't even be able to make it back home. I do and take my parent's car to school.
So when I get home from school that day, I call the shop owner, and ask him if he flushed my transmission. He said he did not, but that they drained and filled it. He said, "I know you said you had the fluid changed recently, but we checked it out and it was dark, so we changed it out for you."
After what I have read about the trans and changing the fluid, I wanted nothing to do with changing that fluid at all. I didn't want anyone touching it, and I didn't know he was going to.
He said to bring it back in, and he would check it out, and if it was anything they did he would take care of it for sure.
I got it towed there, and he (later) told me that by the time he was checking it out, it basically wouldn't even move forward.
Well what ended up happening was he said there should be no reason that drain and fill would mess it up, but maybe some debris dislodged somewhere and got stuck, so he said he would flush it for free and see how it was.
He flushed it and it was still no good.

To make this already long story short, (here comes the good part) after several treatments and flushes, the trans is practically back to normal. What treatment, you ask? Well, this treatment:http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html

He showed me a package of those first two cans wrapped together, and said he treated it with that stuff three times.
My transmission went from not working at all, to feeling maybe 90% right.
He said it's still going to condition the trans for another 5k miles, so it might actually improve even more.

This shop has been AMAZING through all of this, not charging me anything after I took it back to them. They bent over backwards to make things right, and did it all in a very professional and friendly manner. I wonder why I ever take my car anywhere else.

So to all you guys whose transmissions suddenly stop working, I highly suggest grabbing a few cans of those. Treating and flushing might cost a penny, but certainly much cheaper than a rebuild or replace.

Now, who knows, maybe the trans will end up going soon again. Maybe it will end up better than ever before. I don't know, I will just have to wait and see. But as of now, it has bought me more time with my car and saved me from dishing out a few thousand.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

^ Wow, that's great bro! Do you think that would be a good idea to prolong the life before the tranny craps out? Or is it more of a last resort thing after the tranny craps out?
Old 11-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

I'm not sure. These are the product descriptions. Use your own judgment
Honestly, I probably wouldn't have done it prior to the trans dying on me. I don't know enough about any of this to recommend it to those without problems. I HIGHLY suggest it for anyone who is faced with the decision I had!
I'm not sure how much this stuff costs, but a few cans and a few flushes have to be cheaper than the $2900 he quoted me for a new trans, and probably the $700 70k mile junker one he reserved for me.

"BG Quick Clean for Automatic Transmissions
BG Quick Clean for Automatic Transmissions is a safe and effective solvent/dispersant cleaner that will quickly remove accumulated deposits from the valve body, filter screen and other automatic transmission components. This product is designed for use in the BG Power Flush and Fluid Exchange System.
Part No. 106 11 oz. (325 mL) can "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"BG ATC Plus
BG ATC Plus enhances properties of both new and used automatic transmission fluid. It improves fluid oxidation stability, thereby prolonging fluid life and the life of the transmission. It prevents leaks by conditioning hardened seals—keeping them soft and pliable. BG ATC Plus helps control transmission shudder‚ retards formation of sludge and varnish deposits and prevents foaming."
Old 11-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Well I drove it to school today.
After it warmed up, it shifted like a dream!
The shift between 3rd and 4th is even better than before. Between 1 and 2 and 3 is stiffer, but I think that's a good thing - it's not slipping out and revving then catching. Just a firm shot into gear.
All in all, things are looking awesome so far!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
every one of these threads scares the shit out of me.. any other car and I'd dump it before it happened. So I guess that at least shows how I'd want to handle the situation. Good luck
Old 11-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Glad to hear you got it running again. When the time comes to replace the transmission, I'd consider just letting go of it. Putting $3k into a car that's worth $3k doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

What brand tranny fluid are you using? Pennzoil Synchromesh has made a world of difference in my manual transmissions. It's worth looking into.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Land of Pleasant Living

Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
every one of these threads scares the shit out of me.. any other car and I'd dump it before it happened. So I guess that at least shows how I'd want to handle the situation. Good luck
Yeah, I think this should absolutely be the first step for anyone whose trans goes.

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
Glad to hear you got it running again. When the time comes to replace the transmission, I'd consider just letting go of it. Putting $3k into a car that's worth $3k doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

What brand tranny fluid are you using? Pennzoil Synchromesh has made a world of difference in my manual transmissions. It's worth looking into.
But I would have to sell the thing as a junker if the trans was not working at all. Then I would have to buy an even crappier car with the little money I have, or get a loan and have to deal with car payments all over again. Plus I just put 2k into it to get everything else on the car 100%.
I think by now, it's one of those cars that there's no point in ever selling, unless someone offered me a great deal on it. I'll never see anything close to what I've put into it, and I don't owe anything on it, so I might as well keep it and keep it running well. At least that's what I say now.

I have no idea what fluid is in there. Whatever a dealership would probably put in. From now on I am going to be hands-off my car mechanically and put all my faith in this shop.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 AM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
BG Products are good shit. Friend of mine uses the BG MOA fluid in every oil change and the inside of his block is SPOTLESS. The motor is still bright aluminum, no burnt discoloration with 110k miles. I know I will be using it when I buy a new car.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Well well well... lasted almost a month!
It finally kicked the bucket for good on Sunday. Well, it was still driving, but I had the CEL and the blinking D4, and damn if I didn't expect the thing to not make it off the line at every stop light.
I think 45 minutes in Thanksgiving weekend bridge traffic did it in. All that heat.. After I got it going on long stretches, it seemed to do a little better, probably because the fluid was cooling off. But it is definitely done for overall.
It was awesome that the stuff bought me almost another month, and I can only wonder how long it would have lasted if not for those 45 minutes of crawl and stop traffic.
It hadn't missed a beat until about 20 min after I got out of that.

Oh well. Time to move on. Whoever buys this car after the trans is replaced is getting a hell of a car. Everything else on this car is in perfect mechanical condition. Once the trans goes in it should be good to go for a long time.
Unfortunately, it hit my last nerve, and I just want out.
After talking with the shop and knowing where I want to go from here, the best decision I can make is get this trans taken care of, sell it, and get into something else.

It is awful looking at it and knowing that I'm going to give it up though. It's basically like losing an old friend or putting a loved pet to sleep. I will probably never love a car as much as this one.. at least not until I can afford something seriously awesome.
The CL will always have a place in my heart, and maybe when I have money to play with I will pick another one up. I had so many plans for this thing but just not enough money. When the money is right, I would love to follow through with them.

I'm probably going to be getting into a 2000+ Maxima/i30/i35. I've only heard great things about them, although they are rather bland looking. I really hate the ass of the Maxima, actually.
Anyway, that's that. Sad to leave the CL family, but hopefully I will own one in the future. I'll no doubt still hang out on Acurazine. I've been here too long to leave now!
Old 12-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Well, forget that last post.
I'm officially keeping it.
Kind of depressing, but also kind of nice.
The trans should have a 4 year 100k mile warranty on it (waiting to hear back), so I'll be covered up until nearly 300k miles on odometer! That should get me all the way through law school, so that's some good peace of mind.
I was really looking forward to the i35, but with the cost of the trans, the low resale value, and the almost 5k I've put into it in the past two years, it just doesn't make sense.
It will be nice not to have to part with the CL, but also kind of sad I'm not going to pick up something nice.