Another member of the Second Transmission Club

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,447 Likes on 3,045 Posts
Originally Posted by 98clgirllv
Supposedly the TCU was fine... they claim to replace anything thats wrong with the transmission whether they touched it or not... we'll see about that tomorrow when I call and bitch... renting a car at $55 a day is going to be their issue too... I'm not paying for shit now that they said that they fixed it and it drove great for them.
Sucks, def sounds like the torque convertor
Old 08-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subbuzz
$55 do you have a benz?it's like 20 in jerz for economy rental.is that what its called a tcu?i'll post a pic.it's an expensive little fucker but my guy said if its not good even with replaced gears,bearings,clutchpacks your tranny will still be f*cked..........

$55 is the rental fee $30/day + $25 underage fee as I am only 21... it sucks majorly...
Old 08-29-2006, 09:50 PM
-S namyaC-

Enterprise only charged me $5/day underage fee, and I was 19 then...you are getting ass raped.

If you have a CEL from it, they should be able to tell what it is pretty quick.

The recheck is normal for all tranny places. It lets them checks for leaks and such that simply need time to work out. The place that did mine had me come back in 500 miles, which is about two weeks for me.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by proaudio22
Enterprise only charged me $5/day underage fee, and I was 19 then...you are getting ass raped.

If you have a CEL from it, they should be able to tell what it is pretty quick.

The recheck is normal for all tranny places. It lets them checks for leaks and such that simply need time to work out. The place that did mine had me come back in 500 miles, which is about two weeks for me.
Unfortunately underage fees are a lot higher in Vegas, cheapest I have been able to find is $15 but their rental rates are a lot higher than the special rate I get for going through the Hertz that's in the hotel I work for.

I am planning to do the paperclip test as soon as I find one here in the house so I have some sort of info for myself in the morning when I call them.

They asked me to come back in after 10 days but I intend to have the car to them first thing tomorrow morning. I have checked fluids and the car is fine right now, crawled underneath and checked around... it's not leaking under there.. yet.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Cruisin'

Wonderfull, just wonderfull. I've been ignoring my CEL for... awhile now.
Something told me to stay away from this thread.
Guess I'll have it scanned tomorrow.
It's jerked a few times downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and 1st to 2nd..
I go WOT at least once a week and nvr experienced anything but a smooth shift.
If I have to rebuild this tranny.. the car will be parked.. till I get enough $$
for a 5 or 6 spd. drop, heh .
Old 08-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Diesirae
Wonderfull, just wonderfull. I've been ignoring my CEL for... awhile now.
Something told me to stay away from this thread.
Guess I'll have it scanned tomorrow.
It's jerked a few times downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and 1st to 2nd..
I go WOT at least once a week and nvr experienced anything but a smooth shift.
If I have to rebuild this tranny.. the car will be parked.. till I get enough $$
for a 5 or 6 spd. drop, heh .
You seem a lot better off than I was, 5 minutes after its first slip my transmission had complete failure.... although after looking at the clutches it looks like I could have been driving the car with the issue for a long time before, they were completely black.. every single gear was black. There were also a few chips in the teeth on the gears...
Old 08-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by 98clgirllv
You seem a lot better off than I was, 5 minutes after its first slip my transmission had complete failure.... although after looking at the clutches it looks like I could have been driving the car with the issue for a long time before, they were completely black.. every single gear was black. There were also a few chips in the teeth on the gears...
You were, trust me. The bearings just bounced around in there for quite some time ripping things apart. The thing about jap cars, is that they'll run f*d up as long as they can. American cars just break, jap cars because of how their engineered just keep rolling until something breaks bad enough that you're stopped. Mine was the same way, I had shavings in my fluid like a year and a half b4 the tranny died.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Racer

Another update:

This morning I called Aamco at 7:30 am and let them know the problem that I was having. They asked me to bring the car to them before work so that they could pull the codes. After I got in the car and pulled away from my house, the car locked up in its first to second gear shift. It did the same thing two more times before I was able to get it parked again where it would just sit and rev up. I called Aamco and they sent a tow truck to pick me and the car up.

After sitting at Aamco for two hours, they said it was the lockup solenoid that was allowing the car to try to be in two gears at the same time. They got the new solenoid and fixed that while I waited and took the car for a 20 minute drive. They said the car was fine and that I should take it. I got to the corner and turned to go to work and the check engine light turned back on. I took it back, they pulled the codes and now it is showing torque converter and lockup solenoid. Looks as though I'll be in a rental car again through next week. They said that I could drive the car around town, keeping it at low speeds and I should be fine until they are able to take it. I'm not real comfortable driving the car so I'm not sure what I am going to do tomorrow as they will not pay for my rental tomorrow...
Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 PM
'07 November = STI

here is my 2 cents might be kinda off subject.. but.. i noticed that once the driver tries to take control of the automatic.. the transmission tends to die faster.. like manually popping the car into D3 or D4 back down to D3 and D2 D1.. etc.. by letting the car shift when it wants to (thus automatic).. it might actually be better for it.. and fully stopping letting the car shift back to 1st gear.. im not bragging or anything.. but i have 176K right now with my first tranny.. no problems... im expecting my tranny to not live past 200K miles.. but at this rate.. it might actually surpass it..

oh.. and it seems like most of the second tranny club members live in hotter parts of the country.. haha.. #1 killer of tranny is the heat.. maybe all of u should move here to seattle.. j/p..
Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Racer

Update!

Well a long overdue update is here:

I returned my car to Aamco on August 31st so that they could fix the torque converter again (the only code that was pulled). They did no work on my car over the holiday weekend and when I called on Tuesday the 5th they told me that they were taking the entire transmission back apart. After doing this, they supposedly found that the computer was bad. They ordered a new computer and the car wouldn't start. They ordered another computer after that thinking that the first computer that was put in the car was bad. They couldn't figure out why the second computer would not allow the car to start and I had to remind them that the car was not programeed to be started as the code that was in the key was different than the computer.

They sent my car to the local Honda dealership to be reflashed but they decided that they could not work on it as there was a lockout on the car letting only Acura work on it. The car was moved to the Acura dealer and the car was reflashed and it finally started. They returned to pick up the car and the check engine light was still on.

After taking it back apart for the third time, they are now saying that the wiring in the transmission is bad or damaged and they do not know how long I will be without the car. It has been 21 days total since I was last in the possession of the vehicle.... I'm at a point where I do not know what steps can be taken to ensure that the car is going to be fixed.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:50 AM
07 tl-s in

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
i really feel your pain,my rebuild sucks too.i'm lost and don't know where to start......
Old 09-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Ouch, that sux babe, sounds like a nightmare, can't believe aamco didn't know that the key wasn't programmed into the new computer. At least they got all that fixed, sucks your cars been bouncin around to all the dealers, but keep the faith, you'll have her back soon
Old 09-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Racer

Got in touch with Aamco corporate today... no help whatsoever. Was told it was the wiring harness for the transmission (or atleast that is their next stab in the dark)...
Old 09-21-2006, 10:11 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like dog shit to me. And you know what I do with dog shit?

I ask it for a full refund.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Racer

I am definitley going to be disputing all charges. My worry is that they will try to put a lien on the car since I'm now going to be disputing. I guess I will just roll with the punches though... I can't wait to get the car back when it does run... pretty sure that I should probably just sell now because I know for sure that I won't feel safe with their workmanship.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by agranado
sounds like dog shit to me. And you know what I do with dog shit?

I EAT IT! .