Acura is a RIPOFF

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura is a RIPOFF

as i posted before, i broke my temp and fuel gauges and need new ones. so i called acura for the prices and they weren't to bad. i found better online. but the guy said it would be at least $150 to put them in even if i take out the whole gauge cluster myself. they can't charge that much for such a small thing. im gonna try to do it myself, if anyone knows how or has instructions on how to replace a gauge that would really help. if not, ill just start taking the thing apart and see how its put together. hopefully it works out
Old 02-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

wow, whoever told you that is trying to do you in the butt. haha.

listen- take out the cluster, and make sure you take off the front plastic and the black trim around the bezel. look on the back side of it. there are three screws that hold in the temp gauge and three screws that hold in the fuel gauge. take them out and the gauges just slide right out as a whole with the face and all.

it literally takes 30 minutes to take it apart and put it back together.

i would call the guy back after you're done and ask him how many hours he would charge. after you find out that it's 2+ hours labor, laugh in his face and congratulate yourself on a job well done.

$150 would be a fair price if you didnt take out the cluster. if you did $30 would be a fair price.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

wow,
them dudes is bugging out!
Old 02-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Instructor

thanks, but i just took out my cluster and figured it out by looking at it. alot easier than i thought.

one more question:

the fuel and temp gauge needles move magnetically, someone gave me a suggestion of putting a drop of superglue on the end of the needle and shoving it back in the actual gauge in the position that it would originally be at. do u think that would work or does it make no sense?
Old 02-01-2003, 12:54 PM
nothing

pohanka acura in chantilly, nova people, quoted me $725 for a new timing belt and water pump to be replaced. theyre usually good with prices, but i called around and found somebody to do it for $425.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by MistaE13A
thanks, but i just took out my cluster and figured it out by looking at it. alot easier than i thought.

one more question:

the fuel and temp gauge needles move magnetically, someone gave me a suggestion of putting a drop of superglue on the end of the needle and shoving it back in the actual gauge in the position that it would originally be at. do u think that would work or does it make no sense?
superglue doesnt work on metal to metal surfaces, so that would be a

just get the new gauges and dont put your indiglo's in.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Instructor

k, i just ordered the new gauges and trim. i got this and this and im gonna do it myself. i got all them on the first time but broke it by accident afterwards. and this time its gonna be real easy.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:57 PM
steady gruuvin'

Originally posted by 1genCL
wow, whoever told you that is trying to do you in the butt. haha.

listen- take out the cluster, and make sure you take off the front plastic and the black trim around the bezel. look on the back side of it. there are three screws that hold in the temp gauge and three screws that hold in the fuel gauge. take them out and the gauges just slide right out as a whole with the face and all.

it literally takes 30 minutes to take it apart and put it back together.

i would call the guy back after you're done and ask him how many hours he would charge. after you find out that it's 2+ hours labor, laugh in his face and congratulate yourself on a job well done.

$150 would be a fair price if you didnt take out the cluster. if you did $30 would be a fair price.

hahahaha....that sounds like something that I would do....
Old 02-01-2003, 03:38 PM
WTB 19s RH C3s or others

i need to buy a new temp and fuel gauge also, where should i go for good prices, who should ig et to install them? the dealer? whats a fair price? and i would like to keep the indiglos on the new temp and fuel...is that possible at the dealer?
Old 02-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Pro

Originally posted by bryanz3.0cl
pohanka acura in chantilly, nova people, quoted me $725 for a new timing belt and water pump to be replaced. theyre usually good with prices, but i called around and found somebody to do it for $425.
Word. I have yet to take my CL to Pohanka for regular maintenance service other than the ignition switch recall. Those Po'hka guys suck balls.

Examples: Acura body shop did some work The car did not have the Bose stereo code written anywhere. Po'hka wanted to charge ME the cost to pull out the stereo and run the serial #, $75!! I bitched to the body shop and the service dept...."I mean, I bought the car from Po'hka and it didn't come with the code and you guys worked on my car, now you want to rip me off in order to have my stereo working again?!!" So the body shop finally paid for it.

Second, the car also DID NOT come with the wheel lock key. About a week later, I thought about it and asked Po'hka about it. They couldn't do anything about it. So I had to take it to Merchant Tires and have them remove the wheel locks, $35.

Third, after taking it in for the ignition switch recall, they did the courtesy wash that left water spots and one greasy palm print on the winshield. It came out dirtier than when it went in. Sorry bastards.

If anyone is looking to have maintenance service done on their Acura's. Take a look at Car Doctor. They specialize in Honda/Acura's. I have never gone there, because I haven't needed any work done, yet. But my cousin gets his NSX worked on there and he's super anal about that car.