98 2.3CL Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 2.3CL Electrical Problem

I put an aftermarket Kenwood deck in my 2.3CL. I just bought the car a few months ago and the factory radio did not work. Also the clock did not work unless you press in the button but then it always reads 1:00 and never changes time.

So after installing the new receiver, I get no power to the new radio. At this point I am totally pissed off. I have checked all the fuses that pertain to the clock/radio and all of them are still good.

So I run the car down the road and take it to the local audio store. They check the power lead with a multimeter and it is not getting any power. So they run a lead from the battery to get power to the unit and everything works now.

However, being anal as I am I am still dumbfounded as to why there would be no power getting to the wiring harness. The cig lighter, and all the other components in that area are working fine. It could possible be that the clock has just bitten the dust because it seems to be getting some power as it illuminates when the button is pushed in and held.

Also the immobilzer light does not light up at all when the key is put into the ignition nor does the security light or alarm function.

I could go to the Acura dealership and have them look at it, but I don't feel like giving them my arm or my leg to pay for the service.

I have a gut feeling that all the issues are tied together somewhere, but do not know where else to look.

I have also tried searching for some similar issues in the form but none seem to tie in directly with the problems I am having.

Everything else on the car works great so I guess I can live with this, and this is also just a second car. But anal as I am, I would like to track down and solve the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 PM
coke not pepsi

you could try taking out the fuse for the radio i know theyre wired to the same fuse i had to do it for mine, cause the anti theft alarm went off so i had to disconnect the fuse for a few seconds and the clock reset you might want to try that.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

I will have to try to see if that helps. I will try taking out some of the fuses and then replacing them with new ones just to see if that makes any difference.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,420 Likes on 3,028 Posts
The fuses to the radio/cig lighter/clock are all on the same fuse. There are 4 fuses did you check all of them? Maybe replace them to start with anyway. There are 2 in the cabin a radio fuse and backup fuse, and then 2 under the hood in that fuse box. If all the fuses turn out good, take out your console and check all the wiring harnesses that all those components check into, something may be loose or not connected all the way.