'98 2.3 oil leaks, timing belt, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'98 2.3 oil leaks, timing belt, etc.

i've got a '98 2.3 cl with 136k mi. bought it knowing it needed work. well, i didn't know it needed 'this' much. after taking the car to the dealership for issues with the air conditioner not working, i asked them to look over the vehicle to see if a timing belt/water pump job had EVER been done. i have virtually NO maintenance history on the car whatsoever.

the estimate of repairs came to over 2000...with well over 1/2 of the repair cost associated with the timing belt/water pump job. the dealership said the vehicle had oil leak issues and to come in and 'see for myself' while the vehicle was on the lift...so i did. the mechanic directed my attention to evidence of oil all around the lower timing belt cover area, oil pan (bad gasket?), valve cover, and something he called the "spool valve" (near the egr valve). i believe the "spool valve" he pointed at is also called the solenoid valve??? apparently there's a gasket leaking at that area.

so, when breaking down the estimate, the service writer and mechanic stated the estimate DID NOT include replacing a "gear drive"...which he said "may" have to be replaced to address ONE of the leak possibilities. as best i recall them saying, the 'gear drive' is either part of the rear balance shaft OR the oil pump system. in any event, the mechanic stated the 'gear drive' was approximately $285 and it includes an oil seal that 'could be' leaking. To get the seal..."you have to buy the whole gear drive" but he wouldn't know until he "got into it".

the only thing they could say about the a/c was the system was way 'overcharged' (which they corrected) and there was a restriction 'somewhere'...in an expansion valve...and would likely require replacing the expansion valve and receiver/drier. they also said the a/c repair COULD require the removal of my dash...for whatever reason???

i decided to take the car to an independent shop and save some bucks because the dealership couldn't give me a final diagnosis and price on my air conditioner repair AND after the timing belt/water pump/LEAK REPAIRS, i was facing the possibility of a $2500 bill. no thanks!!!

i'm going to have the independent shop do the t-belt/water pump job but i don't know what to say to them about these other leaks. i don't know whether THEY will find/address them. perhaps some of these leaks could be resolved should they replace the cam/crank seals??? what should i do??? thanks for your input!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, mystery of the spool valve is solved. It's the VTEC solenoid. Is it a difficult job replacing the 2 seals/gaskets?

Gear drive...still a mystery. Have to buy the entire 'gear drive' to get the seal that is causing oil leak? $280.00 ??? Part of the oil pump system??? Associated with the rear balance shaft??? I'm stumped.

As for the A/C...independent mechanic saying it's either the compressor or the expansion valve but doesn't know which one. Suggests buying an entire A/C repair kit ($300) consisting of a new compressor, expansion valve, receiver/drier, oil, o-rings. Anybody have other ideas of what to do???