Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.2 Turbo CL

This is my ride.

1. Eibach pro kit (1.7" drop)
2. Niche Spikes (16")
3. Wings West front airdam
4. Exhaust cut-out
5. Complete Rockford Fosgate sound system (1100 W and 2 10"s)
6. Custom turbo kit (226 dyno)
7. Venom 400, Magnacore Wires and Bosche Platinum Plugs

------------------

If you have questions about any of these products, I'll give you the truth about what I think of them. Btw, I need a camber kit.. Does anyone have any good suggestions or what a good price is?

------------------
Ben.
--
Strive to achieve much in what little time you have.
Remain close to your inner self.
Look after the well being of the mind and body.
Give assistance and kindness where ever needed.
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-21-2001, 04:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Can we get a picture of your engine compartment?? I really really want to see that turbo.

How does your car do at the tracks?

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, Hiper/Piaa/Polarg bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, AEM CAI, V1, and Mugen Pedals.
Old 04-21-2001, 07:13 AM
10th Gear

=)

bad ass car...

im actually getting my shocks and camber put on tomorrow. im getting an ingalls front camber kit. i think its 130 ..with a little discount from my friend that works at the shop. ingalls makes also a front and rear kit ...and comptech makes a front kit..make sure to look for adjustability up to 3 degrees..i had to return a progress kit that was only 1.75 . im actually surprised you need a camber kit with your pro kit, i never had problems with my pro kit, and no problems with my coilovers at 2 inches down with 1.8 degrees camber...the reason im getting a kit now is because my ride is 3.25 below stock with some mad camber.
Old 04-21-2001, 01:22 PM
Scooby Guru

Looks nice! Is that hp rating at the wheels? What size tires are those? How much boost are you running? What kinda turbo is it?

------------------
'02 WRX Wagon (OZ Superleggeras, removed intake silencer, K&N panel filter, Dawes Devices Manual Boost Controller, etc)
'97 2.2CL (removed intake silencer, K&N panel filter, interior neon lights & other ricey mods)

[This message has been edited by RidinLow (edited 04-21-2001).]
Old 04-21-2001, 03:29 PM
Pro

Usually people who have turbo in their car and wanted to show it... would put a picture of their engine compartment... not the outside of the car.

Anyhow, that car probably only runs low 15's. No 14's for him on stock interals and the parts that he said he has on it. No BOV?

I'll give him a run for his turbo. 15.8 baby. Just intake exhaust and headers.

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
rubber tires, windshield wipers, headlights, horn, steering wheel, BRAKE PEDAL, clutch, brake pads, driver seat, passenger seat, back seat, front windshield, rear windshield (with defroster), lumbar support, cruise control, intermitent wiper control, sun roof (tinted), engine, pistons (only 4), emergency brake handle, trunk w/ tools, spare tire
Old 04-21-2001, 05:35 PM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLTypeR:
Usually people who have turbo in their car and wanted to show it... would put a picture of their engine compartment... not the outside of the car.

Anyhow, that car probably only runs low 15's. No 14's for him on stock interals and the parts that he said he has on it. No BOV?

I'll give him a run for his turbo. 15.8 baby. Just intake exhaust and headers.
</font>

I took some pix, but they came out like crap when I scanned them.. I hope to take some more with my friend's digicam next weekend.
And is that jealousy I sense?

I haven't made it to the track yet (I only installed the turbo 2 weeks ago), but I'm guessing mid 14's in comparison to the Mustang GT than I smoked last night.

Bitch, you don't want none of this. I've got at least 60 more HP than you and the same body weight. Think twice before you make such a bold statement.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RidinLow:
Looks nice! Is that hp rating at the wheels? What size tires are those? How much boost are you running? What kinda turbo is it?
</font>
Thanks.. Yes, that's at the wheels. The tires are 205/40s (ZX rated). And about the boost from the turbo kit, I added the turbo the same time I added the exhaust cut-out, so I got 86 HP boost from both, but I don't know how many HP came from the exhaust cut-out and how many came from the turbo. I estimate I got between 20 and 25 HP from the exhaust cut-out. So the turbo added between 56 and 61 HP. It is a Garrett T3/T4 Hybrid turbo with a 6 psi valve.. The exhaust manifold was custom built (obviously) along with the CAI. Aircraft tubing was used to get the fresh air to my throttle body.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-21-2001, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CL_TypeR:
=)

bad ass car...

im actually getting my shocks and camber put on tomorrow. im getting an ingalls front camber kit. i think its 130 ..with a little discount from my friend that works at the shop. ingalls makes also a front and rear kit ...and comptech makes a front kit..make sure to look for adjustability up to 3 degrees..i had to return a progress kit that was only 1.75 . im actually surprised you need a camber kit with your pro kit, i never had problems with my pro kit, and no problems with my coilovers at 2 inches down with 1.8 degrees camber...the reason im getting a kit now is because my ride is 3.25 below stock with some mad camber.
</font>
3.25? You must scrape on dropped change. Got any pix?

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-21-2001, 05:48 PM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tw1112:
Can we get a picture of your engine compartment?? I really really want to see that turbo.

How does your car do at the tracks?
</font>
I should have them next weekend and have them posted by the middle of the next week.. And I haven't been to the track yet.

Ben

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-21-2001, 07:00 PM
Scooby Guru

Wow, the T3/T4 is a HUGE turbo, especially on a 2.2L 4 at only 6psi! It isn't even getting started at 6psi... I assume the boost is going to go way up sometime?

------------------
'02 WRX Wagon (OZ Superleggeras, removed intake silencer, K&N panel filter, Dawes Devices Manual Boost Controller, etc)
'97 2.2CL (removed intake silencer, K&N panel filter, interior neon lights & other ricey mods)
Old 04-21-2001, 09:24 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, the T3/T4 is a HUGE turbo, especially on a 2.2L 4 at only 6psi! It isn't even getting started at 6psi... I assume the boost is going to go way up sometime?
</font>
Yeah, it's a big turbo.. I had to put a scoop in the hood. The above picture was taken before I got the turbo.

I'm not sure about the boost going up. Do you mean putting in a bigger valve? I hear that putting a valve bigger than 6 psi can do serious damage to my engine.

Hey, I saw a WRX yesterday. I wanted to race, but he turned before I could get next to him. How do you think I would have done?

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Oh yeah...how much did the custom turbo run you and how long did it take to make??

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, Hiper/Piaa/Polarg bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, AEM CAI, V1, and Mugen Pedals.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:52 PM
Pro

Heh... 6 lbs of boost... what 50 hp? That's nothing. So this means u'll be running as 15.5 maybe.... trust me... turbo accords will run somehting in that range ...esp 6 lbs... i don't know anyone that runs that low boost... maybe my lawnmower.

Best u'll do is low 15's... guarenteed... well as long as u don't spin all through first...as I do already. Better crank up the boost or u'll mess up my front bumper.

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
rubber tires, windshield wipers, headlights, horn, steering wheel, BRAKE PEDAL, clutch, brake pads, driver seat, passenger seat, back seat, front windshield, rear windshield (with defroster), lumbar support, cruise control, intermitent wiper control, sun roof (tinted), engine, pistons (only 4), emergency brake handle, trunk w/ tools, spare tire
Old 04-21-2001, 09:57 PM
Scooby Guru

Well, any amount of boost can destroy an engine if it's not tuned properly. What are you using in terms of fuel management? I'm assuming you're running 6psi because you haven't yet upgraded the fuel pump, injectors, etc.

A lot of 2.5RS people have found that the T3's sweet spot is around 10-12psi. Now, in your case, the T3/T4 is a bigger turbo capable of more flow, yet it's hooked up to a smaller engine and you're running less boost. At 6psi, that turbo hasn't even gotten started yet!

Most people have been running 14.4-14.6 at a little under 100 mph with basically stock WRX's. But against AWD, if you don't launch properly with your FWD CL, say good bye to the WRX... there's nothing like an AWD clutch drop (as long as the tranny holds together ).

------------------
Old 04-21-2001, 10:04 PM
Pro

And another thing... try not to break down trying to prove me wrong by crankin up the boost too high. F22B engine sucks to begin with... why somone would put a turbo in it beyond me.

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 04-21-2001, 10:06 PM
Cruisin'

Heh... 6 lbs of boost... what 50 hp? That's nothing. So this means u'll be running as 15.5 maybe.... trust me... turbo accords will run somehting in that range ...esp 6 lbs... i don't know anyone that runs that low boost... maybe my lawnmower.

Best u'll do is low 15's... guarenteed... well as long as u don't spin all through first...as I do already. Better crank up the boost or u'll mess up my front bumper.
</font>
Dude, listen to what you are saying. We have the exact same car. I have an oversize turbo exhaust manifold (comparable to your headers) and an exhaust cut-out, which is better than ANY exhaust system.. I don't care if you even have comptech's $1500 set up.. You can't move more air than me.

Plus I have a turbo. So why are you arguing?

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-21-2001, 10:10 PM
Scooby Guru

CLTypeR, what do you mean when you say the F22 is a crappy motor? Are you talking about its durability under boost? To me, its low compression ratio is crying out for some forced induction. Throw in some turbo cams & fuel management and you're set!

------------------
Old 04-21-2001, 11:06 PM
Pro

Did i ever say anything about my car bein faster??? I just said I'd give u a run for your money. You have a less than a second pull on me. Lemme say... still in the 15's. I would not spend all the money and time putting a turbo in my car to still run 15's. Trust me I've contemplated the turbo route already... I've had the car since 97. I was goin to go the h22a (prelude vtec) route.... but barely bein in the 14's with i/h/e wasn't for me either. If i spend 5000 on an engine or turbo, I'd better well be in the low 14's. I've already seen turbo accord on the f22 motor, didn't impress me that's why i didn't even bother with it.

F22 has no power potential. one cam, 2.2 liters, bad gearing. All you need to to lower compression on the engine is to get a thicker head gasket.

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 04-22-2001, 04:19 AM
Pro

Maybe I should join the ranks with CLPower and throw a bottle in my car. Than I'd eat u up w/ my driving skills and power. No need for no expensive turbo and a sucky engine.

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 04-22-2001, 04:54 AM
Scooby Guru

Interesting how people can judge someone's driving skills over a text-based message board.

Since when was NOS better than a turbo? Seems like a cheap fix to me.

------------------
Old 04-22-2001, 08:37 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts

Since when was NOS better than a turbo? Seems like a cheap fix to me.

</font>
it's all the same run what you brung

and i personally doubt you would have to raise the hood w/ a turbo. Esp since you hook it up to the exhaust manifold which tends to be under the car esp. on a 4 banger. But if you say so i believe you. And also 6psi on a t3/4 ain't gonna do shit for you. Crank that bitch up to 12-14 then you'll feel boost, or better yet ditch that motor and get a prelude. But more respect to you for what you have now, turbos are fun, and turbo CL's are non-existant. Kinda the reason i got this car, no one fixes them up so when we do people drool
Old 04-22-2001, 01:26 PM
Scooby Guru

Agreed on having to run the T3/T4 at 12 psi minimum... either that or swap it out for a T25. You'll get much better boost response for your desired 6 psi.

If you do decide to do that, I'll take the T3/T4 off your hands... my stock WRX turbo doesn't like to hold 15 psi near redline.

------------------
Old 04-22-2001, 05:09 PM
Pro

Call me conceited, I drive really well.. and people who know me think I do as well. And I can back it up.

However 6 lbs of boost on a T3/T4 will not yield much hp. Remember I did say, his car has me in a race ... but not by much. That's ALL I've been saying this whole time.

Remember, the car starts with 145 ponies.... and I've seen turbo accords in the past. Why do you think there are no more???

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 04-22-2001, 05:18 PM
Pro

On a positive note.... I do like TurboCl's painted side moldings and WW front lip... and tint.

Man I wish I could get that front lip.. but my car is too damn low... I scrape up the front as it is right now. My headers are scratched to hell.

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 04-23-2001, 12:40 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
aren't those the stock side moldings? and don't they arleady come painted? mine sure did? i'm confused by your comments on it typeR

------------------
"the needle got buried at 140.....1,500 RPM later...the tach got buried"
Old 04-23-2001, 01:39 AM
Pro

CLPower,

2.2 CL's don't come with side mouldings painted. 97's... 98's 2.3CL do. That's what I get for buying a car when it first comes out !!!

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 04-23-2001, 02:02 AM
Scooby Guru

IMO, you don't see many turboed or even H22a'd (is that a verb?) Accord or CL's because after all that work & money, the car's still not very fast compared to other cars you could get for equivalent amounts of money.

------------------
Old 04-23-2001, 02:17 AM
Safety Car

Yeah but then again....buying a CL you dont expect it to compeat with the top performance cars. Like CLpower said, when you have a car like ours and dress it up to be quicker than most people think, its awesome I know that if I had the money, I would have a lot more performance parts in my cl.

------------------
Tw1112
Old 04-23-2001, 02:57 AM
teh Senior Instigator

IMO, you don't see many turboed or even H22a'd (is that a verb?) Accord or CL's because after all that work & money, the car's still not very fast compared to other cars you could get for equivalent amounts of money.

</font>

you don't see many turboed accords? where do you live? and almost every h22a swap i see in a car has a turbo

you guys must not live in cali

------------------
Old 04-23-2001, 04:20 AM
Instructor

CLPower,

2.2 CL's don't come with side mouldings painted. 97's... 98's 2.3CL do. That's what I get for buying a car when it first comes out !!!

</font>
How much do you think it would cost to get the side mouldings painted?

------------------
97 CL 2.2
Old 04-23-2001, 04:59 AM
Racer

What do you all think about putting a turbo on a 3.0?

------------------
----------------------
1998 3.0CL Black
AEM Cold Air Induction
AIM: kwokyd
Old 04-23-2001, 05:12 AM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3PointZero:
What do you all think about putting a turbo on a 3.0?
</font>
My company can do it.. For less than the cost of a 2.2 because we only need one of your exhaust manifolds to spin the turbo. If you live in Los Angeles and are interested, please send me an email.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-23-2001, 05:17 AM
Safety Car

What kind of price range are we talking about? I would be interested, just dont think I can scounge up the funds. How come you havent tried the turbo for your car? Just curious..

------------------
Tw1112
Old 04-23-2001, 02:06 PM
Pro

Accords w/ H22's and turbo. I think I've only seen them in magazines. Maybe just one at a show last year. Hey... I live on the east coast, reside in Maryland but from New Jersey so give me a break > . There are quite a few turbo ludes around here. There aren't that many h22a accords out here.. only a handful. However turbo f22b accords... saw a couple like 3 years ago.... and I was defintely not impressed. At least turbo civics d16 motor are lighter....

biggev ... as to side mouldings, you have to get the 98+ ones for the paint to stick. Otherwise it will peel.... not the right texture ... I tried to get them painted b4 and that's the general consensus from the 97 peeps

Turbo on a 3.0. Not a bad idea. However, u need to get that tranny reinforced... wait for the v6 accord guys try it first. HKS did have a kit for a v6 accord... but it killed the transmission immediately so they didn't sell it. Ran low to mid 14's if I can remember correctly. Not bad... but I think it could've done better w/a stronger transmission that wasn't slipping.

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
Old 04-23-2001, 03:09 PM
teh Senior Instigator

HKS will sell you their turbo kit for the 3.0. Ive already talked w/ them about it. However the tranny will need some work.

junglism: where in LA are you? i would like to check out your shop

------------------
Old 04-23-2001, 03:10 PM
teh Senior Instigator

also come to the CL meet May 12th. We are going for a drive up angeles crest

------------------
Old 04-24-2001, 01:13 AM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:

junglism: where in LA are you? i would like to check out your shop
</font>
I live in Whittier, but my friend's garage is in West Covina.

Ben

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:14 AM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
also come to the CL meet May 12th. We are going for a drive up angeles crest
</font>
Man.. That'd be fun.. But I have exams.

------------------
Ben.
--
Knowledge is strength.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:16 AM
Safety Car

level 10 tranny work with the turbo?? Come on Scott!!! It's time you got the turbo!

------------------
Tw1112
Old 04-24-2001, 12:31 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by junglism:
Man.. That'd be fun.. But I have exams.

</font>
so do i, but this is a saturday!! you got saturday exams? I work in sante fe springs and would love to check out your ride. I got a digi camera could even get some pics up for ya.

Quick Reply: 2.2 Turbo CL