These projectors... not so good, anyone customized?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
These projectors... not so good, anyone customized?

Sup ya'll...

Just traded my TL for an 08 MDX tech, very happy but miss my badass TL lights. MY question is, do any of you know of projector conversions in these housings? What would fit?

I plan to change to 85122 bulbs once the weather warms here in DC, but for now just trying to plan my escape from the dreary cutoff and color from these projectors. It's really bad. It makes me sad after having the TL projectors with the zkw lenses in them.

If anyone has some suggestions, or anything for that matter, I would love to hear from you. I am going to try over at mdxers.org too.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattpete
Sup ya'll...

Just traded my TL for an 08 MDX tech, very happy but miss my badass TL lights. MY question is, do any of you know of projector conversions in these housings? What would fit?

I plan to change to 85122 bulbs once the weather warms here in DC, but for now just trying to plan my escape from the dreary cutoff and color from these projectors. It's really bad. It makes me sad after having the TL projectors with the zkw lenses in them.

If anyone has some suggestions, or anything for that matter, I would love to hear from you. I am going to try over at mdxers.org too.

Thanks for your help.
I thought OEM WAS Phillips 85122? What year is your X? I've also thought about doing a lens swap and amber delete on my gen2.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Racer

Not sure if it is. supposed to be I think, my 06 TL had crappy osram xenarc though so who knows.

MDX is 2008.

I think you can swap in a TSX lense, from what I have found so far. Waiting on a reply from member named elite-fusion.

Def want to take out the amber too, that should be easy. i just don't want to open the headlights without some certainty that I can change the lense or the whole projector together. I don't want to have to do any major custom work though.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by mitchigan
I thought OEM WAS Phillips 85122? What year is your X? I've also thought about doing a lens swap and amber delete on my gen2.
OEM are more than likely the OSRAM bulbs that were used on the TL, not bad bulbs at all compared to some on the market.

The 2G MDX has less than stellar projectors, the TL projectors have really spoiled us. A lens swap will help a little bit, but it won't bring it up to TL quality. The biggest downfall of these projectors are little holes in the shield that let out light for some reason. If you pull up to a wall at night, you'll see these box's outlined by light above the cutoff where light is leaking out. I have no clue why they are there but the hinder lighting abilities.

Some folks have JB welded stuff to them in efforts to help close them off with some decent results. I'd love to swap some TL or TSX projectors in but this might be difficult with the auto leveling HID's.

Not sure if it is. supposed to be I think, my 06 TL had crappy osram xenarc though so who knows.

MDX is 2008.

I think you can swap in a TSX lense, from what I have found so far. Waiting on a reply from member named elite-fusion.

Def want to take out the amber too, that should be easy. i just don't want to open the headlights without some certainty that I can change the lense or the whole projector together. I don't want to have to do any major custom work though.
There is a TSX-R lens which is a perfectly clear lense that fits the MDX projector. If you do take out the amber and do the mod's please do take some photos!

The Philips 81522+ are good bulbs to swap in! Good luck with your project
Old 02-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
OEM are more than likely the OSRAM bulbs that were used on the TL, not bad bulbs at all compared to some on the market.

The 2G MDX has less than stellar projectors, the TL projectors have really spoiled us. A lens swap will help a little bit, but it won't bring it up to TL quality. The biggest downfall of these projectors are little holes in the shield that let out light for some reason. If you pull up to a wall at night, you'll see these box's outlined by light above the cutoff where light is leaking out. I have no clue why they are there but the hinder lighting abilities.

Some folks have JB welded stuff to them in efforts to help close them off with some decent results. I'd love to swap some TL or TSX projectors in but this might be difficult with the auto leveling HID's.

There is a TSX-R lens which is a perfectly clear lense that fits the MDX projector. If you do take out the amber and do the mod's please do take some photos!

The Philips 81522+ are good bulbs to swap in! Good luck with your project
Holes in the shield? Really? What a ridiculous notion.
I wasn't aware X's had auto level hid's either. That will certainly make things difficult.

I think I have just come to realize I want my TL back

Now the wait for warmer weather.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Holes in the shield? Really? What a ridiculous notion.
I wasn't aware X's had auto level hid's either. That will certainly make things difficult.

I think I have just come to realize I want my TL back

Now the wait for warmer weather.
Auto leveling is only on the sport package.