SH-AWD: 77 & Emission P0134

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
SH-AWD: 77 & Emission P0134

Hi Folks!

Just wanted to share that today my car gave me a friendly warning on Warming it up!

I needed to go out in the early morning to do some business but my Wife needed me to do some quick shopping first at my local groceries, I did something I do not normally do... I fired up the car and without any kind of warming up I set off (Car was still idling in the high 1000-1100RPM), It was a less than 2 mile trip everything went smoothly and I went back home and finished preparing..

I go back to my car now ready to start the day and when I started the car I was greeted in less than 1 minute with a HUGE "CHECK EMISSION SYSTEM: P0134" & AWD System Disabled SH-AWD: 77.... Needless to say I was very worried hahahaha. I did some fast research on the iPhone and I found out it was a problem with the Cat which was alarming since I passed inspection in freaking California not but 3 months ago. If the Cat goes bad for some bizarre reason it disables the SH-AWD System.. Then I realized I didn´t warm up the car at all and I recalled the MDX ala most Acura & Honda products runs super rich at startup... I told myself "Isn´t the cat just soaked in gasoline and its throwing the ECU Off?" Well Ill be damned that was the issue!!

How to fix it..
1.- Just let the car get to working temperature so the Cat can get hot and burn the excess gas.
2.- Turn it off and remove the negative battery cable to reset the ECU (Have your Stereo and NAV code in hand).
3.- Put the cable back on and fire up! No more nasty emission codes and SH-AWD back in operation.

So that is it guys! if you ever get a SH-AWD code 77 with a Check Emissions P0134 try to recall if you warmed up the car before setting off.. Odds are your impatience was rewarded with some hardcore OBDII Justice.
The following 4 users liked this post by Skirmich:
jabia (05-04-2021), Max Attitude (02-17-2020), mrgold35 (03-31-2017), technocrat (05-06-2021)
Old 04-01-2017, 08:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
Hi Folks!

Just wanted to share that today my car gave me a friendly warning on Warming it up!

I needed to go out in the early morning to do some business but my Wife needed me to do some quick shopping first at my local groceries, I did something I do not normally do... I fired up the car and without any kind of warming up I set off (Car was still idling in the high 1000-1100RPM), It was a less than 2 mile trip everything went smoothly and I went back home and finished preparing..

I go back to my car now ready to start the day and when I started the car I was greeted in less than 1 minute with a HUGE "CHECK EMISSION SYSTEM: P0134" & AWD System Disabled SH-AWD: 77.... Needless to say I was very worried hahahaha. I did some fast research on the iPhone and I found out it was a problem with the Cat which was alarming since I passed inspection in freaking California not but 3 months ago. If the Cat goes bad for some bizarre reason it disables the SH-AWD System.. Then I realized I didn´t warm up the car at all and I recalled the MDX ala most Acura & Honda products runs super rich at startup... I told myself "Isn´t the cat just soaked in gasoline and its throwing the ECU Off?" Well Ill be damned that was the issue!!

How to fix it..
1.- Just let the car get to working temperature so the Cat can get hot and burn the excess gas.
2.- Turn it off and remove the negative battery cable to reset the ECU (Have your Stereo and NAV code in hand).
3.- Put the cable back on and fire up! No more nasty emission codes and SH-AWD back in operation.

So that is it guys! if you ever get a SH-AWD code 77 with a Check Emissions P0134 try to recall if you warmed up the car before setting off.. Odds are your impatience was rewarded with some hardcore OBDII Justice.
Good tip! I normally try to warm up my vehicles, but I know the Mrs doesn't lol. I'll definitely look out for this if it ever happens in the MDX.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skirmich
Hi Folks!

How to fix it..

Your tips came incredibly handy, thanks!
Old 06-08-2021, 01:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't be so happy. Op later changed his opinion. The trick doesn't work. Replace the AF sensor.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by qqzj
Don't be so happy. Op later changed his opinion. The trick doesn't work. Replace the AF sensor.
Ouch!

What's the AF sensor? I'm familiar with O2 but not AF.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2021, 04:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Air fuel ratio sensor. It is just a fancy (more expensive) O2 sensor.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:03 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Yup, It ended up being a faulty A/F Sensor.
The following users liked this post:
altair47 (06-15-2021)