Many problems. Don’t know where to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 05:50 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many problems. Don’t know where to start

I have a 2005 Acura MDX Touring. Has over 165k miles. Had the vehicle about 1 year now but been noticing problems since I got it. I don’t know much with cars but some stuff. I took to some mechanics and talked to dealership. All get different answers. So what’s all wrong? .....
1.check engine light comes on and off but has been on more than usual lately.
-had it read with computer and I get codes for all 6 cylinders misfiring and random misfires. Codes 300-306
2. My VTM-4 light comes on and off
3. Noticed my steering is getting stiff
4. Noticed at times while driving a grinding like sound with a slight rattling feel till I take my foot of gas and it stops automatically. Noticed it will happen off and on when driving between 25-45 mph.
5.tpms light comes on and off

So what all have I done?
I had a diagnostic done 2 times.
the first time they reset the codes and said they had retaught something. Check engine light comes back on next day so took it back and they said I needed to do something with valve I believe. Also was told by another mechanic that it’s the computer and I would also have to replace all the coils along with the computer. Something about a warranty that way or something. Then I was told it couldn’t be the spark plugs causing it cause of all 6 misfired. Then Another mechanic said it can be a vacuum leak or o2 sensor. The dealership didn’t want to tell me exactly what it could be that I just needed to bring it in for a diagnostic and it would cost me about 150$ an hour and can take 2 days!

Was also told that the problem with the misfiring could also be throwing off the VTM and making that light come on.
and another mechanic said I would have to take the car to a dealership for this problem.

As for the stiff steering... the power steering fluid has been changed. I was told by one of the mechanics that I had a bad tierod but the other mechanics never mentioned that.

as for the rattling grinding while driving I was told 2 things 1 to change transmission fluid and that usually helps but if not that I have to replace the torque which is behind the transmission and is major work time and money.

i was also told about the tpms light that I need to replace one of them which I think I know which one.

now I know my car need tlc. I gotta fix the dual exhaust due to holes. And I will need brakes soon and new tires soon but theses problems I’m having is a daily thing and I know I don’t get the power it should and I’m not getting many miles to the gallon. I’m averaging 11 miles to the gallon.

Any suggestions ???
tired of the struggle
Old 03-31-2018, 12:43 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Perfect timing for the upgrade to 2018-19 MDX. Your car is too old those problems are expected. Unless you’re a handyman and have a garage and tools you are going to spend a lot of $$$$$$ to get It fixes. If I were you just drive until it falls apart and get a new MDX.

Last edited by VictorTL; 03-31-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:28 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
As these problems arose, they could have been better isolated, but if they all occurred around the same time, I wonder if your MDX was in a flood.
If it was flooded and a previous owner did not have insurance, they could have let it dry out, sprayed the carpet with a mold killer, and sold it.

Electronics start to corrode, after the water is gone.

How many previous owners? Does the carfax indicate that it was serviced in Houston or Miami, in the past few years?